Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got me there,

No way would I pay $899 for the 7900. Or for the 460 for that matter. The thing that makes the Dolmars so sexy is their performance, and they're "cheap". You know what the old song says; "I like my girls a little on the trashy side". Anyone can follow the heard, I prefer to go against the grain, Always........................................................Mo out!

Awww good. Let me ask you then. You got a 5100, you've run it, you apparently like it. Should it wear out and you go to get another one will you be willing to pay 500.00 for it, simple yes or no. Secondly if that new 7900 cost 899.00 would you still buy it, I'm thinking you would, whatcha say??

Dolmar isn't worrieing Stihl and Husky at all. In the last 5 years Stihl invested 210 million dollars in building, machinery and R&D. They spend half of what the enitre Dolmar company is worth in advertising last year, 50 million. Dolmar is a 100 million dollar company overall. There certainly is nothing there for Stihl to worry about or Husky either. If anyone is worrieing it would have to be Dolmar in this economy. Stihl and Husky can afford to lose alot more market share than Dolmar. Stihl and Husky together have about 75-80%of the USA market. That leaves 20-25% for all the others. If sales slide overall 20% across the board for everyone in these hard times who is going to be hurting, not the big boys.

550,000 units is very good for a company thier size, no question about it. I just think they could do even better if they sold their products on par with the other big two and start putting some bucks in the bank and use it to grow with..

When the Dolmar is 899... it will still be a smokin' deal because the competition will be at 999 :laugh:

You got me there,

No way would I pay $899 for the 7900. Or for the 460 for that matter. The thing that makes the Dolmars so sexy is their performance, and they're "cheap". You know what the old song says; "I like my girls a little on the trashy side". Anyone can follow the heard, I prefer to go against the grain, Always........................................................Mo out!

LOL, I wasn't trying to getcha. Joat already knows what I'm getting at and since he writes so much better than me I'll let him do it. He knows exactly what I'm pointing out. I'll let yaw throw stones at him while I'll hide in the house,LOLOLOLOL

Dude,

I aint chuckin' stones at ya, I think you are the best read on this sometimes forsaken site. Gotta admit I always enjoy your commentary, you da champ in my book. I'm just a real cheap @$$, and do all mechanical repairs myself. I have never paid a mechanic to maintain my vehicles, or my saws, mowers,etc, etc. Perhaps thats why my saw is still runnin' strong (no offence to all you good wrenches out there)

Awww good. Let me ask you then. You got a 5100, you've run it, you apparently like it. Should it wear out and you go to get another one will you be willing to pay 500.00 for it, simple yes or no. Secondly if that new 7900 cost 899.00 would you still buy it, I'm thinking you would, whatcha say??

Dolmar isn't worrieing Stihl and Husky at all. In the last 5 years Stihl invested 210 million dollars in building, machinery and R&D. They spend half of what the enitre Dolmar company is worth in advertising last year, 50 million. Dolmar is a 100 million dollar company overall. There certainly is nothing there for Stihl to worry about or Husky either. If anyone is worrieing it would have to be Dolmar in this economy. Stihl and Husky can afford to lose alot more market share than Dolmar. Stihl and Husky together have about 75-80%of the USA market. That leaves 20-25% for all the others. If sales slide overall 20% across the board for everyone in these hard times who is going to be hurting, not the big boys.

550,000 units is very good for a company thier size, no question about it. I just think they could do even better if they sold their products on par with the other big two and start putting some bucks in the bank and use it to grow with..

Just curious, where did you get your figures?

I think your wrong if you think this economy isn't going to hurt "the big boys"
they are the ones that are stretched pretty tight in a tough economy, the little guy may just weather the storm better.

I don't think stihl is worried about Dolmar either but they better watch out because there about to get bitten right on the ass by a mean ole Husky...

Dolmar isn't worrieing Stihl and Husky at all. In the last 5 years Stihl invested 210 million dollars in building, machinery and R&D. They spend half of what the enitre Dolmar company is worth in advertising last year, 50 million. Dolmar is a 100 million dollar company overall. There certainly is nothing there for Stihl to worry about or Husky either.

Stihl or Husky may not be worried but you and a few other of these dealer gentleman on AS sure seem to have a bit of anxiety over Dolmar. You're always involved in these Dolmar threads.....Sure you always praise their performance. (who could deny that?) but there's always that little resentful pick, pick, pick.....snicker, snicker, snicker going on. :rolleyes:

It sure seems Dolmar is starting to get under your craw! Yep, 1/2 million plus 5100s sold last year....Could have been a piece of Stihler dealer (MS260) pie but I guess a few Dolmar sales doesn't bother you big shots, now does it? :popcorn:

Dolmar isn't worrieing Stihl and Husky at all. In the last 5 years Stihl invested 210 million dollars in building, machinery and R&D.

Dolmar is a 100 million dollar company overall. There certainly is nothing there for Stihl to worry about or Husky either. If anyone is worrieing it would have to be Dolmar in this economy. Stihl and Husky can afford to lose alot more market share than Dolmar. Stihl and Husky together have about 75-80%of the USA market. That leaves 20-25% for all the others. If sales slide overall 20% across the board for everyone in these hard times who is going to be hurting, not the big boys.

BS

It doesn't have as much to do with market share as it has to do with how leveraged they are.

All that money out for R&D and capacity? 200 million? During the last five years? My bet is they are under pressure. Maybe they need to shrink things like marketing...and have these "no cost" advocates online do their marketing leg work...:buttkick: (Just kidding) They need to sell a certain amount of product at a certain margin to get the planned ROI. The fact is, as the market shrinks, the LEAST leveraged company wins. Reguardless of size. All that expansion was based on pre-recession numbers.....I don't know what their ballance sheet looks like. Do you? If its on line, post a link and we can go thru it together and find out how well they can handle a shrinking market. Same with Dolmar.

Housing market....crashed. Lumber...prices are down. This has to put pressure on the loggers out there. Which has to put pressure on those who manufacture and sell the higher end saws. Especially on the big guys if they need Volumn to pay off investments. A sign will be increased hypertension in the marketing retoric...really all "size" does is require a higher volumn of sales to cover the overhead. Size also doesn't always = reserves..look at GM and even Toyota. And as the economy tanks, these type of "homeowner" sales are going to be more and more price dependant....(A good argument for the value of the MS290 AND Dolmar price points)

If you have a problem with this logic...take a closer look of the events of this last year.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if Mo-Betta's precious 5100 is still sawing like hell almost thirty years from now like my 032 and 028 which has cut countless ricks of wood like mine have. I found it hard back in the late 70's to pay for a Stihl, but had worn two homelites out and was dissatisfied with were the quality was going. I could verily afford it, but it was the best investment I have made in power tools, same with the first string trimmer I bought a FS 80 I think, it's STIHL going strong. I won't be around to read the answer in thirty years as I've got a terminal illness, connective muscle tissue disease,
I enjoy watching my boys the saws I bought so many years ago.
Performance on the edge is usually paid for by reduced longevity, increased maintainence and operational cost. I'll just keep my old orange and white saws which I can find almost anywhere and not at a kings ransom like parts for the 143 project I have. Tommy and Joat are 110% correct in their analysis as a retired buyer and former upper mngt associate for the largest retailer in the world I have seen companies that had great product disappear because they didn't invest in marketing and the future. Wish folks with the Dolmars nothing but good luck they are good equipment, the corporate people just have their head in the wrong place.

Just curious, where did you get your figures?

I think your wrong if you think this economy isn't going to hurt "the big boys"
they are the ones that are stretched pretty tight in a tough economy, the little guy may just weather the storm better.

I don't think stihl is worried about Dolmar either but they better watch out because there about to get bitten right on the ass by a mean ole Husky...

I got the 550,000 unit figure from Dolmar. The market share figures have been well known for years. Stihl and Husky have had the US market locked tight for ages now.

Husky biting Stihl, possible. Raising the prices, market like crazy. Hell they're even involved in Nascar now. Was seeing alot of Husky ads on tv last year during the spring and fall seasons. Seen alot of their mower ads too. Will be plenty more soon as spring hits this year too. Husky is on the move no doult.

Stihl or Husky may not be worried but you and a few other of these dealer gentleman on AS sure seem to have a bit of anxiety over Dolmar. You're always involved in these Dolmar threads.....Sure you always praise their performance. (who could deny that?) but there's always that little resentful pick, pick, pick.....snicker, snicker, snicker going on. :rolleyes:

It sure seems Dolmar is starting to get under your craw! Yep, 1/2 million plus 5100s sold last year....Could have been a piece of Stihler dealer (MS260) pie but I guess a few Dolmar sales doesn't bother you big shots, now does it? :popcorn:

TKO! I think the "Champ" is down for the count..

There may be some, but I wonder if they have ever had a wrench on them.
My Stihl's have just required the normal spark plug change every once in a while, air filter blown out , good clean fuel and nothing more, no visits to the dealers for anything else, but I treat my saws as an investment, not abusing them just for the sake of giving them hell, no broken or cracked plastic either.

Not knowing much about the older Dolmars were they tweaked out for the highest performance like the 5100 or is a emmissions thing why they have them wound out and leaned out from the dealer.

I have noticed my new John Deere CS 56 is running on the lean side, I've got to richen in up this weekend.

Dolmar getting under my crawl, huh, I own two Dolmars, like em, tried to get Dolmar on the shelf to sell myself so no way are they getting under my crawl.

Maybe the real crawl issue is someone, lil ole me, pointing out a few things no one wanted to admit. Seems Dolmar is basicly trying to buy into the US market aren't they. When they stop that and start charging what they're products are really worth will they're customers continue to support them. I'm getting a mix in this thread of maybe they will and maybe they won't. However I'm going by the very few on AS. I'd like to know in the big pitcure of things whether their customers would support them or not. I personally think they would....

Some have been worked on just like the old stihl husky jonsered etc. And some have not! Anyhow the same thing could be said about just about any of todays saws! Non of the saws today will IMO last like the old vintage saws would! I mainly think because of the emmissions that are being put on all of them they just are not going to live like the old stuff will! However they will produce more wood!

Dolmar getting under my crawl, huh, I own two Dolmars, like em, tried to get Dolmar on the shelf to sell myself so no way are they getting under my crawl.

Maybe the real crawl issue is someone, lil ole me, pointing out a few things no one wanted to admit. Seems Dolmar is basicly trying to buy into the US market aren't they. When they stop that and start charging what they're products are really worth will they're customers continue to support them. I'm getting a mix in this thread of maybe they will and maybe they won't. However I'm going by the very few on AS. I'd like to know in the big pitcure of things whether their customers would support them or not. I personally think they would....

What do we want to admit Tommy, that we would like to see their prices go up? :laugh: :laugh:

BS

It doesn't have as much to do with market share as it has to do with how leveraged they are.

All that money out for R&D and capacity? 200 million? During the last five years? My bet is they are under pressure. Maybe they need to shrink things like marketing...and have these "no cost" advocates online do their marketing leg work...:buttkick: (Just kidding) They need to sell a certain amount of product at a certain margin to get the planned ROI. The fact is, as the market shrinks, the LEAST leveraged company wins. Reguardless of size. All that expansion was based on pre-recession numbers.....I don't know what their ballance sheet looks like. Do you? If its on line, post a link and we can go thru it together and find out how well they can handle a shrinking market. Same with Dolmar.

Housing market....crashed. Lumber...prices are down. This has to put pressure on the loggers out there. Which has to put pressure on those who manufacture and sell the higher end saws. Especially on the big guys if they need Volumn to pay off investments. A sign will be increased hypertension in the marketing retoric...really all "size" does is require a higher volumn of sales to cover the overhead. Size also doesn't always = reserves..look at GM and even Toyota. And as the economy tanks, these type of "homeowner" sales are going to be more and more price dependant....(A good argument for the value of the MS290 AND Dolmar price points)

If you have a problem with this logic...take a closer look of the events of this last year.

I got no problem with that logic at all. The market is shrinking, no question on that. The big qustion is who is it shrinking on and who is taking it. Stihl doesn't post numbers, they have no stockholders to answer to. Husky posts their numbers on their website. As a matter of fact go look on 2/20/09 at their website and you will see their complete results for all of 2008. Dolmar I guess would be tied in with Makita. Makita's numbers I wouldn't think would bear out Dolmars numbers. I don't know how to get Dolmar's numbers.

Back