Dolmar 5100 Cylinder Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be interesting to see if Mo-Betta's precious 5100 is still sawing like hell almost thirty years from now like my 032 and 028 which has cut countless ricks of wood like mine have. I found it hard back in the late 70's to pay for a Stihl, but had worn two homelites out and was dissatisfied with were the quality was going. I could verily afford it, but it was the best investment I have made in power tools, same with the first string trimmer I bought a FS 80 I think, it's STIHL going strong. I won't be around to read the answer in thirty years as I've got a terminal illness, connective muscle tissue disease,
I enjoy watching my boys the saws I bought so many years ago.
Performance on the edge is usually paid for by reduced longevity, increased maintainence and operational cost. I'll just keep my old orange and white saws which I can find almost anywhere and not at a kings ransom like parts for the 143 project I have. Tommy and Joat are 110% correct in their analysis as a retired buyer and former upper mngt associate for the largest retailer in the world I have seen companies that had great product disappear because they didn't invest in marketing and the future. Wish folks with the Dolmars nothing but good luck they are good equipment, the corporate people just have their head in the wrong place.

Thankya, your highlighted red hit it right on the head. Joat will be in later to reinforce that as well,:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

For the record, Dolmar did not sell a 1/2 million 5100s last year.

That be true but gotta givem credit where credit is due, to be no bigger than they are they pumped out alot of units.

Hey Woodie I showed 2000SS what you said about his MS460, he said your dead meat when he gets back home,LOLOLOL

TKO! I think the "Champ" is down for the count..

Naaaaah, probably not.....He's the champ.....He never seams to be out!
At least not out of wind.....lol

actually there are lots of 30+ yr old Sachs Dolmars running around here!

There are lots of 120supers , 120si , 116si and lots of others running around here ....

You mean you missed the memo?......Stihl is the only saw in the 30 year club. :dizzy:

For the record, Dolmar did not sell a 1/2 million 5100s last year.

Ok, all units than.....I just went with Toms figures but ya know he gets long winded so I breeze over some of his rhetoric! :givebeer:

Naaaaah, probably not.....He's the champ.....He never seams to be out!
At least not out of wind.....lol

You mean you missed the memo?......Stihl is the only saw in the 30 year club. :dizzy:

Ok, all units than.....I just went with Toms figures but ya know he gets long winded so I breeze over some of his rhetoric! :givebeer:

Hahaha, you know what they say, its all good. Tell ya what though and in all honesty. Don't think for a second I got anything against Dolmar, I don't. I like both of the ones I got and I tried my dayummest to getem on the shelf.

The last thing we need is a two saw market. Dolmar needs to stay in the pitcure and grow, why,competition gives guys like you me good products, thats why. More competition means better products from all makers.

Now that wasn't too winded was it,LOLOL

Hahaha, you know what they say, its all good. Tell ya what though and in all honesty. Don't think for a second I got anything against Dolmar, I don't. I like both of the ones I got and I tried my dayummest to getem on the shelf.

The last thing we need is a two saw market. Dolmar needs to stay in the pitcure and grow, why,competition gives guys like you me good products, thats why. More competition means better products from all makers.

Now that wasn't too winded was it,LOLOL

I remember you trying to get 'em on your shelfs....Damn shame it didn't work out!....I'm sure ya would of also been a hell of an advocate for the other German saw! :chatter: lol

Just curious, where did you get your figures?
I think your wrong if you think this economy isn't going to hurt "the big boys"
they are the ones that are stretched pretty tight in a tough economy, the little guy may just weather the storm better.
I don't think stihl is worried about Dolmar either but they better watch out because there about to get bitten right on the ass by a mean ole Husky...

I agree...
I don't know the business affairs or bank balances of any of the previously mentioned companies BUT...
Investing millions, billions etc in new products and selling 50 trillion etc units a year doesn't mean a company is profitable OR sustainable. There are probably better odds in the current climate that Dolmar has an increased chance of surviving than the other larger saw companies. Old Fred in his back shed that makes 100 saws a year with little outlay has just as much of a chance of succeeding as Bill down the road who invests in a large new factory, millions of dollars of manufacturing machinery, has 4 out of every 100 employees suing them for workplace injuries, massive insurances, has top level engineers on over $100k each per year etc etc.
BIG is not always best.
If Stihl has spent SOOO much money on developing new saws, then that'd mean that they now have 320 models to choose from (only kidding but you get what I mean) whereas Dolmar will stick to their relatively tried and trued 15 models (or whatever they have).
I know you can't compare the car industry with chainsaws but from a business perspective Holden (GM) in Australia spent over a billion dollars developing the last VE Commodore - they are now in deep doo doo even though they developed an excellent, world class car.
I'm not having a shot at Stihl/Husky/Dolmar or any other saw makers and despite lacking a Stihl I very nearly bought a 460 over the 7900. Price was the main deciding factor but in the end I liked the Dolmar and have no regrets. All the local Stihl dealers are morons too so the lack of Dolmar service in the area isn't any different to the lack of Stihl service I would have got - hence the 3120 over the 880 :) The Husky guy is great...
It is a worry however that Dolmar service seems to be bad in some (many) areas in the US but same goes for Stihl in my area - most people still own Stihls though but continue to complain about the service and prices of parts!

Last edited:
MCW, you've brought up some good points.....With this debate, that has turned to, Dolmar needs to charge more for their saws and get inline with Stihl. It seems we've forgot to mention, until you did, the price of Stihl parts. :dizzy: What a freakin joke that is.....I suppose Dolmar should do that too....Parts/price comparisons is just another reason to buy Dolmar.

.....and yes the Stihl dealers in my area are also a bunch of arrogant :censored:. To be fair, there is one decent Husky dealer but the best service dealer in this area, happens to be a Dolmar dealer....IMO

MCW, you've brought up some good points.....With this debate, that has turned to, Dolmar needs to charge more for their saws and get inline with Stihl. It seems we've forgot to mention, until you did, the price of Stihl parts. :dizzy: What a freakin joke that is.....I suppose Dolmar should do that too....Parts/price comparisons is just another reason to buy Dolmar.

.....and yes the Stihl dealers in my area are also a bunch of arrogant :censored:. To be fair, there is one decent Husky dealer but the best service dealer in this area, happens to be a Dolmar dealer....IMO

I was recently involved in drought counselling in Australia for drought affected fruit growers. The fact was that many of the larger growers with the fancy houses and flash cars were in more trouble than some of the smaller guys with rusty cars and cheap tractors. From the outside though you'd think the larger growers were doing OK. In the current world climate the big guys feel the crunch more than the small guys most of the time. How many large companies have folded lately with absolutely no signs beforehand then BANG, finished?
Lots...

Man this thread has a lot of twists to it!:dizzy: It has gone from supposedly dolmar engine trouble to know dolmar in financial trouble!:dizzy: It is turning out to be a conspiracy:monkey: Oh well they must be doing something right for people to bash a product!:)

Tommie,

I was standing in your corner with the spit bucket, towels and the 'cut man', but we were never close to be needed. I sent the 'cut man' home in the second round.

Tommie, you hold off the naysayers with the finesse of a 200T, the quickness of a 361 while packing the punch of an 090. Ya know what's sad about the Dolmar fans, Tommie? You're not the enemy. Here's the best Dolmar friends on AS:
- 2 really classy dealers, and they need not be named,
- a former sponsor that fell or got pushed into the ditch,
- Tommie Hall.

Dolmar owners. Your enemy is Dolmars inept marketing and a dealer network that is unrivaled for it's inability to deliver and service product. Tommie, I could share my personal witness as to the dealer situation in my neck of the woods, but hey, that's Dolmar bashing to their fanboys.

Now, I like Dolmar. You like Dolmar. I even know that read from the inside out, Dolmar spells Ramlod. But, Tommie, the reason for this bashing you and trying to smack you is that certain character traits make some feel a little defensive when they own a saw that has any negatives to it.

See ya at the next fight,

Joat

PS: Tommie, the 'cut man' was not able to repair the leak in Miss Demi. Sorry!

Well, Joat you seem to forget about your own panties getting in a wad anytime someone is not so impressed with Stihl performance, prices or quality for that matter.

We Dolmar fans have recognized and said time and time again Dolmar has marketing/dealer & distributor problems......Not in all locations but in some....We realize this, we have admitted it time and time again but some of you just want to continually rub ours and Dolmars nose in it. :censored:

Now when you Stihl fan boys have an epiphany and realize Stihl is not perfect either, with their over inflated (pro saw) prices, PITA must drive 15 miles one way to physically walk into some snobby dealer to buy their over priced parts, then the saws that are affordable to the common homeowner/firewood cutter are underperforming, heavier than necessary and of crappy plastic case designs.......When you gentleman start admitting that and quit continually blasting Dolmars shortcomings then we'll have an intelligent agreement/disagreement. :)

:givebeer:

THALL10326;. they have no stockholders to answer to. QUOTE said:
And that is HUGE! They can choose to ride out an economic **** storm, paring down where they need to; and choose to be in the saw business or what ever without having to answer to anyone..but them selves. This is how they can both CHOOSE an Identity and stay with one over a long time. Very true. Good stuff.

THALL10326;. they have no stockholders to answer to. QUOTE said:
And that is HUGE! They can choose to ride out an economic **** storm, paring down where they need to; and choose to be in the saw business or what ever without having to answer to anyone..but them selves. This is how they can both CHOOSE an Identity and stay with one over a long time. Very true. Good stuff.

For Stihl corporate it is huge but what about the local Stilh dealer? Do they have the ability to ride out the economic storm? Can they pare down when needed? Is stilh corporate going to ride in and save them as they start to go under or just look for more lucrative dealers like John Deere?? Does Stihl corporate really answer to no-one but themselves?? What responsibility does stihl corporate have to the dealer that has faithfully sold their products for 30 years??

Ethically...a lot. Legally...not much. The strong (not nessesarily BIG) dealers will survive based on their customers and marketing skills anyway..and they could sell anything they choose and survive. (Bailey's case and point) The ones too dependant on Stihl having a bail out stratagy, 'Bama style; or are weak in other ways won't make it. Stihl has no obligation to save them. Actually Stihl provides the opportunity to participate in a proven winning solution..if you can't make it work...they really don't want you anyway...its like selling fuel..there is a market. You just have to build the plan to have a peice of it. Stihl enables that entrance into a market; but the dealer has to perform.

Heres the thing..If Stihl sticks to its guns, the CUSTOMER can buy a Stihl power tool in an economic "down time" with the confidence that Stihl will be at the other side of the economic storm. That also means parts will be available during the storm as Stihl will STIHL be in business in some form. Its possible the web plays a larger role for some customers..but support and parts will be there. I doubt Stihl wants to be the "Amway" of power tools, but expect changes as this economic thing progresses.

So I believe You are right..the mechanism of support between Stihl and the customer may change,..it is possible although not a definite thing...the John Deere connection is a clue they have put thought into their channel options. Increased use of the web is just a natural evolution..its going to happen.

My bet is that Stihl's willingness to research the John Deere opportunity had its roots in expansion first. All that infrastructure investment etc., as was mentioned before; was a driver for Stihl. AND then as the economy has decided to find new ways to disappoint, that relationship has turned into a mutual cost savings strategy, JD getting out of paying someone else to build power tools while still having their stores provide those types of products..and Stihl developing a less expensive distribution channel. Remember, those JD stores are fundementally a JD business plan. The investment for the JD dealers to take on Stihl has to be a fraction of the cost to build a JD store/dealership. Stihl gets the benifit of a "store front" without the sales of their product line funding the majority of the costs associated with that presentation....maybe the price points of Stihl's can get into the Dolmar range? All the big show for marketing and dealers has to be paid for by a portion of the Stihl products sales price...cut that cost, prices can go down.

Who wins? The customer.

You Dolmar fans? My local Dolmar dealer is a John Deere power equipment store...so who's the leader here?

You Husqvarna fans? They seem to be ahead in closing in on that 800lb gorrilla of 2010 epa regulations for CHAINSAWS (Not other hand held power tools)...that means they don't have to fund those product designs during a recession! AND they OWN the low cost homeowners saw market. This a a concern to the rest of the saw world..they are proving a low cost low support structure business plan..works.

So you all have something to crow about

Last edited:
Back