Dolmar 6800i weak clutch spring - Fixed :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardhat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Bought a dolmar 6800i off here in the trading post. Very cool old saw. Strongly reminiscent of Poulan 4200 and 5200 (based on how they sound at idle). Saw is in good condition, but when I fired it up, noticed that chain would move at idle. Couldn't idle it down enough to make chain stop (until saw went dead). Figured it was either the needle bearing or clutch spring. Bearing was in fine shape and still had little grease on it. Took clutch spring out and removed 3 coils of the spring with diagonal cutters and bent end coil 90 degrees (using vice and pliers) so I could hook it back up. Better, but still spun. Took out 3 more coils using same method. Now was difficult to get spring back on the clutch and BOOM!

Awesomeness!! I have absolutely no use for this wicked old saw. Was going to put husqvarna d009 bow on it after converting the mount, but I'm not going to hack up the chainbrake and clutch cover on this thing. Plus couldn't easily find kit to convert mount. Just gonna keep it k095 mount.

Same thing on my 6401. Springs were weak but I ended up finding an OEM clutch for a good price and just changed it.

Congrats on the saw.

Latest posts

Back