Dolmar/Makita, looks interesting, saw to leave on tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WWDIII

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
League City, TX/East Texas, Rayburn Country
I don’t know all that much about saws as opposed to some one that uses one for a living. I only use them on my property or hunting property we have leased from a timber company.

I have a stihl MS291 and CS490. Haven’t used the Echo much, seems a little weak/choked down for 50 cc saw. May open up the muffler and tune.

Anyway I plan to mount a tool box on my tractor behind the set on roll bar/headache rack whatever you call it. I was thinking about getting a cheap Ryobi refurb or even one of those 199 dollar 50 cc Ryobi saws to keep in the tool box. Always have a branch to cut or even a large pine tree across the road like we have in East Texas quite often. Then got thinking about a tool box full of bar oil from a cheap saw that leaks or one that won’t start. Was looking at saws and reading reviews and Dolmar/Makita keeps popping up. From what I’ve read the 4200 is a good saw for the money. It would be good to have a saw handy and not have to go back to my little shop and get one. 42 cc saw would seem about right and looks to fit into the box I want to get to mount on my tractor.

Comments please

Some of the smaller Dolmar saws are now built in china. a few years ago all the Dolmar saws were built in Germany. I don't know if that matters much to you or not but thought I'd say it anyways. I've thought the Dolmars were good saws for the money. The quality seems to be there and still cheaper than Stihl or Husky

Every Echo saw needs to be tuned and the choked up muffle opened up. Also the 490 500 and 501 break in slow to get to full power. As they come tuned lean with a clogged up muff they will be doggy. Steve

Will probably pull the trigger on a 4200. No dealers close to me that I know of, will wait till I get a discount coupon from homedepot and order one online. Would prefer to get one from a dealer.

I want to keep a saw on my tractor in a box to keep out of the weather. But also want to rig up a mount so I don’t have to get it out of the box every time I need it. Somebody on tractorbynet did diy mount for a saw as I recall. I need to dig that post out.

I wonder if the Mikita will need a muffler mod, should be easy enough to find out.

Personally I would use your echo for the tractor if I got a new saw it would be a 70cc Used stihl/husky/dolmar... No sense having 3 little saws and no bigger ones :)

I agree with olldsawnut. Open the muff on the 490 and use that. Then get a bigger saw for when you need it. Takes 10 minutes and no cutting to mm the 490 and setup right it will be under 14 pounds ready to run.

I need to look at the YouTube videos to see how to mod the muffler on my 490. We have large pine trees in east Texas, but timber company took most of the big ones off my place. I seldom need a 70 cc saw. But will agree a 70 cc saw would have come in handy on some large stumps a while back.

I have a great idea.......buy both!!!!

Latest posts

Back