dolmar PS-421 mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, my bad. Optical illusion I guess, thought I was looking at the other side, and it looked different from your first pics... Cat is going soon... Thanks again for this,

FYI, euro catless muffler installed. Ran much cooler! Beat the snot out of it, mostly with a "18" inch GB Arbor tech and 91VXL chain. FYI for those interested, on my bathroom scale - PS-421, catless muffler, full gas, full bar oil, "16" Oregon Pro 91 bar and chain (As Saw Troll pointed out, really about 15") = 13.2 lbs. For comparison - Stihl MS-261, stock 16" bar and chain (really 16"!), full gas, full bar oil = 15 lb.
Very happy with the 421 so far, though surely not fully broken in yet.

FYI for those interested, the inexpensive Efco case, size small, fits the PS-421 like a glove, including the stock sheath! Just have to engage the chain brake. Oh, and the stock sheath fits an 18" (17, really) 3/8 LP bar just fine also.

IMG_20140903_154759_714.jpg
IMG_20140903_155150_642.jpg

Bar oil hides well on that floor from the wife though.

I hate this thread, I held a 421 at the new local dolmar dealer in town back in July. I really liked it. I almost bought it, but talked my self out of it, saying I wouldn't use it with a ms261, or my cs2253 so close by. I have a bunch of small 6" and less dead elms to remove from my large back yard (overgrown wooded) I'm going to thin it out when the leaves fall, I'm thinking that I am going to have to try out a new dolmar when the time is right.

Haven't seen an unhappy customer on one of these yet. It's the first saw I grab and for personal use I have 421, 5105, 6100Masterminded, 7900, 355T, and a 2260(till the sales rep picks it up)

20140903_183808.jpg Yep, I've got three 5105's, used them alot for light forestry work and firewood. Since I got the de-catted 421 and put 12+ tanks through it, the 5105's set on the shelf. When it's time to go bigger than the 421, I jump to the 6100. I was cutting 8-10" hedge yesterday w the 421, buzzed right through. I call it the "42 cc pocket rocket"!!

Nate helped me set mine up for TSI work. Alot of our TSI work is on bush honeysuckle and Russian Olive. This is thick brush. I wanted a saw lighter than a 5105 that was easy handling, still had some power and an 18" bar for reach with a non-grabby chain. Mine wears a lightweight Carlton bar and Carlton Lo-pro chain. It does a great job at what we set it up for, but I find it's really great at cutting anything up to 10". I have cut mulberry and hackberry full bar, just gotta use what I call the Husqvarna touch, no pressure just let It keep rpms up on that bigger stuff. It keeps pullin chips! I tried a 7 tooth rim set-up, but went back to the 6 tooth spur sprocket. I like my Dolmars torquey, not high reving dust makers.

Never modded a muffler for so maybe it's time to start. Does the muffler require grinding to separate or will it come apart when the bolts are removed? Mine has the epoxy covered screw. Can the epoxy be removed and high speed adjusted? As amazing as mine runs stock, I just have to remove the cat. Was challenged this past weekend by a MS250. You can imagine the results :D

Latest posts

Back