Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED68

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys! I've been looking at new chainsaws and wanted some input. I cut wood for recreation but want a good solid saw. The Farm Boss and the Rancher seemed to novis but I liked the price range. Reading posts got me looking at Dolmar 5100S then the new model 5105. Has anyone used the 5105's ? Is it better than the 5100S? I can get either for the same $. I know they cooled it down and changed the muffler to a cat on the 5105. I even looked at the 510 but everyone raved about the 5100 so I figured to spend the extra $80.

same saw they just added a cat style muffler for emissions BS. Do a search, they ran one heads up against the 5100 at the WI, MN GTG about a month ago and had a thread going about it.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I've been looking at new chainsaws and wanted some input. I cut wood for recreation but want a good solid saw. The Farm Boss and the Rancher seemed to novis but I liked the price range. Reading posts got me looking at Dolmar 5100S then the new model 5105. Has anyone used the 5105's ? Is it better than the 5100S? I can get either for the same $. I know they cooled it down and changed the muffler to a cat on the 5105. I even looked at the 510 but everyone raved about the 5100 so I figured to spend the extra $80.

There is a few differences. The fan side of the case is opened up more and also the cat muffler. The one that I have run isn't broken in yet but power should be about the same.
You might have a harder time finding a 5105, as some distributors haven't released them yet.

I am in the same boat. I cut wood to burn, but want to maybe start selling enough to feed my horribly fantastic power tool addiction. I decided on the 5100. There are a lot of postings on youtube of these saws. Even though most of them are modded in some way, they seem to be animals.

I appreciate the feed back. My dealer ordered in (2) 5105A-18's. One for him and one for stock. They are holding the extra one for me untill Tuesday. He can have a 5100SA 18 or 20 in a day or two from the local distrobution warehouse. It sounds like the 5105 has improved the cooling and thrown in a muffler for the hoot owl's. Maybe the muffeler increased the heat retention and they had to improve the cooling. Maybe the 5100s runs too hot in warmer climates so the 5105 will replace the 5100s in the U.S. market. Just wasn't sure why the they came out with the 05 in the first place. I won't cut enough to poison too much atmosphere. All the pulp wooders here in hot humid Georgia run the 510. Dolmar site does not offer up too much so thanks agin.

IF you have the option of a 5105 I would get it because of the better cooling. A cat muffler can always be neutered if you so desire.

I had the 5100 for 4 years and it is a great saw. I now have a 5105 and I like it just as well.I think that they're weight is the same and in timed cuts both saws are equal.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I will get the 5105. I'm looking forward to cutting up some serious wood over new years. Hope you all have a good holliday.

Did you ever consider the 7900. If you cut wood for fun and cut bigger logs all the time the 7900 will put a :) on your face. If you have smaller stuff to cut the 7900 might get a little heavy.

A 60cc saw is nice. May be a little much for what I'm looking at cutting for now. I picked up the 5105 today. I saved 60.00 over quotes from other dealers but got stiffed on the set up. Probably should have wen't to a better shop and paid more. (If their is one) Most all the shops around hear cater to lawn jockey's and work primarily on mowers. I'll read posts on checking the carb so it's not too lean and other set up tricks.

Back