Dolmar ps-6100 mandatory mods????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those look good! Def look better as single spike. Are those a dolmar spike or custom? Though the stock 6100 spike is funky looking it works really well especially for bucking.

I'm not gonna argue with that lol. It's functionality doesn't make up for its looks and the amount of bar space u lose however.

that was one of the test sets. current set that I am running now has a roller catch installed but still tweaking the design a bit.

If I had one I want a set big enough to fall a tree with and it let it pivot putting in a face cut.

If I had one I want a set big enough to fall a tree with and it let it pivot putting in a face cut.

that is where i am running into trouble. these spikes work great for bucking but falling is a challenge. they dont pivot like i want them to/think they should. designing functioning bucking spikes is more difficult than it appears. doesnt help that the guy making them is 100 miles away from me and neither one of us has unlimited time to test them and make changes. one change in design is a weeks worth of emails, couple days to get them cut and bent, then a a week in the mail to me...all that then i have to find time to go cut some firewood to try them out. we finally have the material strength figured out so its just a matter of getting a design that works the way i think they should. He tried just copying the new style 6400 spikes and they dont work very well on the 6100....plus they are just huge

that is where i am running into trouble. these spikes work great for bucking but falling is a challenge. they dont pivot like i want them to/think they should. designing functioning bucking spikes is more difficult than it appears. doesnt help that the guy making them is 100 miles away from me and neither one of us has unlimited time to test them and make changes. one change in design is a weeks worth of emails, couple days to get them cut and bent, then a a week in the mail to me...all that then i have to find time to go cut some firewood to try them out. we finally have the material strength figured out so its just a matter of getting a design that works the way i think they should. He tried just copying the new style 6400 spikes and they dont work very well on the 6100....plus they are just huge
No doubt. I helped with 395 spikes and it was a challenge to make them and get them to scan the correct size.

I just cant get them to pivot right. He has access to some very nice equipment and it just takes a few minutes to tweak the design and cut them out. I cut the bottom 2 spikes about a 1/4" shorter and its better so we are getting close. I think they still need tweaked a little though.

This is my first attempt and his at making our own spikes and it is definitely a learning a curve at how they should be shaped to work good.....even copying another sets design/shape like he did with the 6400 doesnt guarantee they will function properly. To get the strength issue resolved after the first failed attempt he took the original and had it rockwell hardness tested to get a better starting point. settled on 1/4 hard stainless which has been holding up for the last couple months of abuse

I don't think they are any better or worse. The one on the 6100 works great and doesn't jam up. But it's already beat and missing chunks on the inside. And it doesnt have the rubber chip guard. So they don't hold up as well but are only $20ish to replace. I got a 5105 cover with the rubber chip guard and it fits fine and is holding up better so far.

So if I were to order a 5105 clutch cover and 5105 outer spike and the Euro style inner would they work together on my 6100? Been waiting on a solution for the dual spikes all summer. If I can't find something by the middle of September I'm tempted to trade it for a 6400 or 7910. I just feel this saw is slightly awkward with the large single spike.....

Back