Dolmar vs. Husqvarna vs. Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would flip a coin

the 372 460 and 7900 have great reviews

i personaly have a 372 and like it very much i also have the 460s little brother the 044 and like it alittle better then the 372.

i could easily buy a 7900 just from theyre reputation

046 Magnum /MS 460

As near as I can tell they are the same saw .. They just put the zero on the other end ....The MS stands for Motor sage but the a has 2 dots over it , however that is pronounced .... Germans and Swedes make the best saws but Americans make the best language ...

The 460 has flippy caps and the 046 has screw in. Other than that they are basically the same as far as engine size and all other parts.

The early non-Magnum 046s (before 1999 or so) had quite a bit less power as well, according to specs (.3kW/.4hp).......:confused:

Last edited:
All of the saws recommended are top shelf, and you'd be happy with anyone of them. You should take a look at each of them and see how they feel in your hands. And you can also get a feel for the different dealers you might do business with. If your comfortable with the saw as well as the shop, then you've found your answer. :cheers:

So would I, if I had a museum that it fit into......:popcorn::givebeer:

With my Arthritis, I sure wouldn't want to run that vibe monster!

You must be bad off because mine does'nt bother me a bit and I've broke my left forearm twice along with both hands once. I won't even get into the other injuries I've had.
All I can say is that I would hate to be in your shoes!:greenchainsaw:

No secret that I own Dolmars and love them but I'd be happy with either Husky or Stihl as well. Locally I don't like our Stihl dealers so won't buy one of those. Husky guy excellent and is where I bought my 3120.
I imported all of my Dolmars from the US due to a good exchange rate and excellent pricing. I have had very little time on any mid sized saws other than Dolmar so all the hype about their power is lost on me as I have nothing to compare them with ;)
If you have a good local dealer for any of the saws they will all do the job.

Last edited:
Yes I believe they do have .. I know a guy with a Luskum who only goes 25 hrs with non synthetic . and the plane I went moose hunting in this fall only goes 25 hours on full synthetic Rotella , shell .It,s a Belanca Citabria . I,m not into used oil . But 25 hrs on such a high grade oil is minimal ... I agree real planes have a tail wheel !!!!! And preferably Tundra Tires ..

Last edited:
I am looking to buy a new saw. We mostly cut northern Wisconsin hardwoods. I occasionally cut red and white oak firewood also. I have a Husqvarna 570 and a Jonsered 2152 but I do not like the weight of the 570. I am looking at the 372xp Husky, 7300 Dolmar, and 441 Stihl. I am wondering what the best saw is and the most reliable. I have always run Husky and J-red saws and don’t have much experience with stihl and no experience with Dolmar. Also what is my 570 worth to sell? Thanks

Go to the GTG on the 14th and see how they all perform. My 7900 will be there.

I am looking to buy a new saw. We mostly cut northern Wisconsin hardwoods. I occasionally cut red and white oak firewood also. I have a Husqvarna 570 and a Jonsered 2152 but I do not like the weight of the 570. I am looking at the 372xp Husky, 7300 Dolmar, and 441 Stihl. I am wondering what the best saw is and the most reliable. I have always run Husky and J-red saws and don’t have much experience with stihl and no experience with Dolmar. Also what is my 570 worth to sell? Thanks

If the 570 is too heavy, the 441 is as well, so count that one out (but is has more power). ;)

Anyway, between the saws mentioned here, the weight of the bar you choose will often cancel out the difference in empty power-head weight, and actually make more impact on handling, as that weight is up front.

If small weight differences is a big issue, go with a laminated 20" bar!

Last edited:

I'm sure others have said the same but I would get the 372, 7900 or 044, not 441. In that order. They are all great saws though.

To the OP: the 441 is the best saw on your list. My experience with my 441 is much different than the first guy on this thread who bashed it. I grin ear to ear every time I run it and so have a lot of guys at GTG's this year. It has 4-port transfer technology plus has a strato port to burn cleaner. The result is more power using less fuel. If you want a 70+ cc saw, it is going to have some weight. That's just the way it is.

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess by weight I meant to say power to weight ratio....and the other saws all have a better ratio. I was wondering if it would make that much of a difference but it sounds like it wont. Thinkin bout doin a muffler mod on my 570 and keepin that too.

Keep Your 570

Yes , if you have it , don,t get rid of it .. Spare saws are real important .. If you get a 372 you will have alot of parts that will fir both .. That is handy .... And you will have a 372 . I,ve never run one with the 75 cc power head 372 .. Am looking foward to ..

Latest posts

Back