Don't burn pine , pine burning thread .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love love love pine. We burn the snot out of swamp pine (Tamarac) and get a load delivered every year.

Swamp pine and tamarack aren't the same tree. Tamarack is in the larch family, not pine.

No. Just tamarack.

Our true evergreens are cedar, black and white spruce, balsam (fir), and Jack, Norway, and white pine.

It grows in the swamp/wet areas......swamp pine.

There have been times where I go from cut, split, to stove in the same breath. And it is up in flames.

When I go into the stove house after filling it with fresh cut/split Tamarac it REEKS of turpentine a day or two after.

Pine combined with well seasoned tires belts out the heat.
then add a couple chunks of RR ties or telephone poles, for a nice long burn:rock::rock:

last week I saw the power company just leave a bunch of new poles next to the road...looks like free firewood to me...and easy access:chop::yes:...thinking about sticking a "free wood" sign on it, then start cutting it up:innocent:

I think we need to sticky that link that shows that seasoned pine actually puts out less creosote causing chemicals. I'm amazed at how foolish people are. I had a guy tell me birch bark also causes chimney fires.
yes, , a fresh load of pine on a creosoted up chimney will cause a flue fire instantly ,yes, seasoned pine produces less creosote than all of the hardwoods , but i find it dose burn a little dirtier by producing more carbon build up , but i have never had a creosote build up problem with it , i have burned it constant for about 4 years straight , where i live i know about two other people who burn pine , but that's good the more for the three of us who burn it .

True, the bad rep likely came from folks who didn't dry their pine firewood and suffered chimney fires as a result. Gum is another species with a similar poor rep.

A lot of people simply don't know any better.
Gum, sycamore and everything else around here gets the burn as well , scrap lumber , saw mill slabs and chair factory chunks , everything but pressure treated , RR ties and telephone poles , about the only other thing i don't burn is willow cause it smells like the cat pissed on the stove .

If you do that word might get out that you CAN burn pine and nobody who is getting it for free wants that - people will start wanting black walnut price for their "highly valuable conifers". So let's just keep the secret between us. :clap:

I didn't burn pine until I joined this site. Now I burn white pine instead of pushing down into the dump pit, wish I could have those wasted btus back ...:(

Isn't it ironic that in the cold climes, conifers are the predominant wood and here in the south we have tons of oak, hickory, sweet gum, tupelo, and other stuff. We don't have near the cold that ya'll have up there but still go through a fair amount of wood... Speaking of wood, I moved a cord of wood to the woodshed area behind the house today. I usually have that filled by the middle of summer but I'm way behind. That's next years wood. I then chipped up a pile of brush about the size of a garage and I'm whupped.

You left out Hedge Apple and I believe atrocious is a word that fits better. :D

I can't crab too much. I am at my girlfriend's place 1.5 hours south and they are surrounded by oaks, although that benefits me none. lol

It seasons even faster when you mix a little gas with it!

Especially when aged in a glass bottle with a rag hanging out the top. :blob2:

what you say is a fair "seasoning time" for southern yellow pine? We have an abundance of hardwoods here but I do run into a lot of pine and was always told to "stay away" or you will pay the price. Never did find out exactly what the price was but I think they were referring to a chimney/flue fire.

Thanks

what you say is a fair "seasoning time" for southern yellow pine? We have an abundance of hardwoods here but I do run into a lot of pine and was always told to "stay away" or you will pay the price. Never did find out exactly what the price was but I think they were referring to a chimney/flue fire.

Thanks
Get the bark off and split and stacked loose and airy, one year. Dork around and leave the bark on, it stays wet a long time, plus ants. Pine is pretty dang juicy, so do all you can to get it to dry. Once dried, it is most excellent firewood. Doesn't last as long burning as premium hardwoods, but still it throws heat well.

Back