Don't burn pine , pine burning thread .

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it dry, and fits in the stove, it gets burned at my place.

Another good source of BTU's around my place are deer bones and raccoon carcuses after the trappers skin them. Smells like a barbeque around here in the winter.

yes, , a fresh load of pine on a creosoted up chimney will cause a flue fire instantly ,yes, seasoned pine produces less creosote than all of the hardwoods , but i find it dose burn a little dirtier by producing more carbon build up , but i have never had a creosote build up problem with it , i have burned it constant for about 4 years straight , where i live i know about two other people who burn pine , but that's good the more for the three of us who burn it .

Gum, sycamore and everything else around here gets the burn as well , scrap lumber , saw mill slabs and chair factory chunks , everything but pressure treated , RR ties and telephone poles , about the only other thing i don't burn is willow cause it smells like the cat pissed on the stove .

Must be a diffent willow than out here. Ours has a fairly sweet smell and is used for barbecue.

Harry K

I get cut slabs of hemlock at a local Amish sawmill for practically nothing ( 15 bucks a pickup or trailer load) I like it in the fall and spring but it must be thouroghly seasoned . The. Down side is it leaves a lot of ash and doesn't coal up well like hardwoods do . The benefits are are fast hot fires that are great for taking chill off the house in the morning or relights another thing I like about burning hemlock is the wonderful smoke smell it generates.. man there is nothing like that strong "piney "smoke in the cool air of the autumn -gets me pumped for the holidays and burning season

If you do that word might get out that you CAN burn pine and nobody who is getting it for free wants that - people will start wanting black walnut price for their "highly valuable conifers".
Delivered to the big city here, pine and spruce goes for 300/crd, and the customer has to split it themselves.
Oh man! It's starting to happen already!!!:crazy2:

I've been burning pine over twenty years and mostly heat my house with it. Sweep the chimney every two years no problems. The coaling properties are perfect for the little stove I run. No complaints here hardwood wouldn't work . It would coal up the little stove to the point you couldn't load anymore wood in. but I do use a little when I leave the house for a few hours. Conifers is what we have most of out here.

images

tires don't allow this to happen!

i am not sure what willow it is , maybe weeping willow ? but it stinks up the house with a terrible urine like smell .

I don't get any smell off anything I burn unless some smoke escapes when I open the firbox door. One shouldn't get any if it is a proper installation....well, other than some coming in an open door or window.

Back