Don't you hate it when....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U get to ur job site and the HO's wife tells ya that "he wanted to talk to ya first.......before you start"..........after you have already confirmed everything and you show at the designated time, but he is unavailable.........and its in another town............

It's a nice day and you go for a ride on your bike that has no trip meter and no fuel gauge. Engine starts sputtering, no problem, you reach down to flip it over to reserve only to find...

Well, everyone knows what you find. And then you find there are no petrol stations nearby. Which doesn't matter because you didn't bring your wallet. Of course, it starts raining.

The sat nav takes you to a junction and left, then 10k of windy gravel hill on a road to nowhere when the house you wanted was turn right and twenty metres...

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

It can't be that bad, you live in Oz :D

I've just sneezed 30+ times in 5 minutes....

Something sort of good did happen today for the first time in a long time. Well, not really good, just not that bad.

I was changing blades and setting the anvil gap, ended up doing it alone which is always a pain. Crawl in chute, check gap, crawl out, turn spanner, back into chute etc... about 10000000 times. Was using the torch on my iphone to be able to see the gap because it's quite dark in there. Rested the phone up against the disk so I could use both hands and left it there, out, in, out, in, lock the nuts down, got distracted for a bit... went off to do something else. Came back, looked in the chute; yep, all clear. Fired the chipper up, engage the clutch so I can get the hydraulics to lift the chute and pull out the stop and jack. revs up a bit... CLANG. I'm thinking "what the hell was that?". My phone!

I left it leaning against the disk and it fell down under the disk. Couldn't believe it!!! that phone was brand new, replaced another nearly new iphone that got stolen recently and I'd ponied up nearly $1000 for it. I was so angry! ****! Shut the machine down, opened the disk cover, lifted the chute, had a look. Nope, gone :-( ****! Open the truck doors up, having a look for bits of plastic and aluminum... don't really seem to be in here. ****! Just as I'm about to punch myself in the head I turn around to get back out of the truck and there's a torch in the chute!!!! Couldn't believe it! Got a fork and dragged it out of there... phone had got shot up the chute and sat there! Had a few cuts/scratches and marks on the cover (got one of those life proof covers) but took it out of the case and not a mark on the phone and all working perfectly! I'll be buying a new cover this week ;-)

when you first started in the biz and spur out on removal and you spend the rest of the day picking bark out of your teeth

or when you get a brand new handsaw and cut yourself wide open because your used to forcing your old dull one

climbing three days strait from 9:00am to 7:00 pm only break is to come down and help on the brush backing up so tired I could barely make it up the last tree...

also you buy a chipper with your boss and he is cleaning up on a job that you took down the day before and the hole chute and disk box is stuffed with chipps - the clutch is burnt out and one of the joints is broken off + the flywheel for the motor is cracked...
that was when I really started to not like him......

When you're attaching rope wrench mid-line at the top of the tree and you drop the 'slic' pin. I'd ascended neighbouring dead tree—to be removed—on spikes and was setting up a retrievable single line in a liquidamber when said pin slipped out of my fingers never to be seen again.

Had to pull out the trusty old prussic and do the job on doubled rope.

Guess I'll temporarily make it non mid-line attachable using a stainless bolt until a new pin arrives...

Thursday afternoon, day before a 4 day weekend and you're dead tired but done. Truck bogged to the axles :-( couldn't sink any lower, the undercarriage was on the ground.

image.jpg

Just have a couple of guys go in back and give it a push.

Way back, when I worked on an aerial spray crew... two other guys on the crew got a pickup stuck like that in Wyoming. They and the boss spent a whole day getting it out, while I worked on the plane.
I'll bet you don't get that one dug out by hand.

Thankfully it was only the front end. 4 guys with picks and shovels, plenty of cursing, 2 other pickups, some pulleys and ropes and we got her done. If the truck was full it would be a different story. I would have just left it there and hitched a ride home.

Back