Door knocking -Soliciting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipperscompany

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know door knocking has to be the most effective way to get customers, however, I seem to stay blank whenever I approach a customer. Especially not know the kind of reaction I will get. My question to you is, what do you say when knocking on a strangers door to offer your tree services? Like a script. I would like to read what every says. I know I have to be happy and polite. Thanks guys

I know door knocking has to be the most effective way to get customers, however, I seem to stay blank whenever I approach a customer. Especially not know the kind of reaction I will get. My question to you is, what do you say when knocking on a strangers door to offer your tree services? Like a script. I would like to read what every says. I know I have to be happy and polite. Thanks guys

I thought door knockers were all bums. Are you a bum?

umm no. A lot of small business do it to advertise. Heck, even Verizon wireless has salespeople door knocking. So your telling me you don't solicitate mckeetree?

umm no. A lot of small business do it to advertise. Heck, even Verizon wireless has salespeople door knocking. So your telling me you don't solicitate mckeetree?

I never solicite. I read a TCIA article a year or so ago that said it is almost unheard of for a good tree company to go door to door looking for work. I have been saying that for 20 years.

"Would you care for a free estimate?"

I don't knock on doors but if I am slow I will stop if I see someone in their yard who is in obvious need to my services. The best is if you drive by and see them staring into the tops of their trees with a puzzled look on their face.

If I were going door to door I would say something like "hi I am a hak with no work and nothin beter to do then pester ya and i wana no if ya needs some tree work cuse i need cash"

But we do not do d to d

Ok on the other hand their is one scenario that we would do d to d that's when we are in 911 mode and are working on a property and the property next door or across the st. has a blocked drive way or some other 911.

Last edited:
I never solicite. I read a TCIA article a year or so ago that said it is almost unheard of for a good tree company to go door to door looking for work. I have been saying that for 20 years.

Difference between me and you is you have been in business for over 20 years, were as we have been in business for a few years. Therefore, you most likely have repeated customers calling or being refered to you keeping you busy. Don't get me wrong we are very loyal to our customers and always we leave a great job, but we are not quite there yet and could use some extra leads.

Last edited:
If I were going door to door I would say something like "hi I am a hak with no work and nothin beter to do then pester ya and i wana no if ya needs some tree work cuse i need cash"

But we do not do d to d

I love it. Who could have said it better.

But we do not do d to d

I know it's funny, but it's also disgusting, rude, and down right mean to critique a working man who is trying hard to make it. You should be ashamed of yourself for making fun of someone who could very well have little, nothing to loose, and would probably kill you for your last piece of bread. I have been there, and it sucks.

No one wants to go door to door. It's not easy, and it's not the proudest of things to do either. But hey, this guy wants to work and is willing to do so. It's sad you can't recognize that, but instead pick him apart for wanting to succeed.

I know it's funny, but it's also disgusting, rude, and down right mean to critique a working man who is trying hard to make it. You should be ashamed of yourself for making fun of someone who could very well have little, nothing to loose, and would probably kill you for your last piece of bread. I have been there, and it sucks.

No one wants to go door to door. It's not easy, and it's not the proudest of things to do either. But hey, this guy wants to work and is willing to do so. It's sad you can't recognize that, but instead pick him apart for wanting to succeed.

Amen! The dude could have said, "Hey, I'm out of work... What Gub'Ment assistance programs should I sign up for, so I can sit on my ass."

Hmmmmmmmmm.

My bad

All i was trying to point out was that no mater what you have to say all people are going to here is BLA BLA BLA I have no work and need $$

It's a fact that d to d dose not work well and pisses people off !!!!!!! put an add on Craig's list or flyer's, post cards and the like would be a better use of time

my bad

all i was trying to point out was that no mater what you have to say all people are going to here is bla bla bla i have no work and need $$

it's a fact that d to d dose not work well and pisses people off !!!!!!! Put an add on craig's list or flyer's, post cards and the like would be a better use of time

ok

Difference between me and you is you have been in business for over 20 years, were as we have been in business for a few years. Therefore, you most likely have repeated customers calling or being refered to you keeping you busy. Don't get me wrong we are very loyal to our customers and always we leave a great job, but we are not quite there yet and could use some extra leads.

If you have been around for a few years and have some good customers, maybe some that you have done repeat work for, I would start with them. Contact them to see if they know anyone else that would benefit from your services. Sometime they know that aunt Betty needs a tree removed or so and so needs trimming. They just don't think about it unless someone asks. If not (and some people are always hesitant to refer you to someone else directly-no offense to you or your work-it's just the way they are wired) then ask them if you could use them as a reference or would be willing to write a letter of recommendation. It's good to have a list of references ready in the event someone asks. Obviously, there are no guarantees, but your chances will be better this way than true cold calling.

When I was 10 years old I used to go door to door with my lawn mower asking to cut grass. I used to make $50 or $60 a week charging $10 a yard in the Summertime. Quite a bit of coin for a 10 year old in the 70's.

When I got into tree work I started out with some tree gypsies who would door knock. Not that there weren't excellent climbers to learn from, on the contrary, there were a couple of excellent climbers and salesmen I learned from. I worked with a guy my first three years that went from solicitor to big time with 2 full page yellowpage ads. I literally watched and helped him grow into something to really be proud of. Probably the best experience I could have ever received. I learned all aspects of the business from this guy, climbing, sales, efficient ground work, how to survive.

When I started out on my own I made his plan my own. I would door knock and solicit. Back in GA we had many dead pines. I would cruise neighborhoods and knock on doors with dead trees in the yard, introduce myself and tell them my company name, explain that I was working in the neighborhood and was giving really good prices while in the neighborhood and ask them if they would like me to quote them a price. Most were nice but you will get a few doors slammed in your face. Goes with the territory when your a salesman. Any good salesman can't be afraid to get a door slammed in their face or be rejected. You have to be thick skinned and not take it personal. I consider door knocking a form of guerrilla marketing. Guerrilla marketing is used by the best salesmen in the country no matter the profession. Hell my folks sell real estate and put out neighborhood news letters and go door to door delivering the news letter (flier) with info in it like what's been sold in their neighbor hood and how much. They offer free market analysis to people and let them know what their houses are worth and develope a lot of leads in doing so. You could print up brochures with proper tree care facts and deliver them door to door as an entrance. A good salesman will beat the bushes when times are slow. I normally do mass mailings of fliers but will post them on doors and mailboxes sometimes. I usually don't go door knocking these days but will definitely speak to someone if they are outside in the yard. Just haven't been hungry enough to door knock lately. Don't be ashamed to knock on doors, salesmen of all varieties have been doing it for eons. A good salesman does whatever he has to (ethically) to make the sale.

Last edited:

:agree2::cheers: I do not do it but a man has to do what it takes to provide for his family..... 95% of my work is referal.

Last edited:

Been there when I first started, if things get any rougher I might be there again. My approach was always to look at the property first and have specific jobs in mind, like limbs hitting the house, deadwood in a tree. Sell the small job and get them as a customer. After that you can discuss bigger projects, ie: extending the mulch bed in that shaded area under the oak tree would look great with a flowering dogwood in it. Never approach the customer asking them what they need, Selling is all about telling them what should be done as a professional in the business.

Last edited:
When I was 10 years old I used to go door to door with my lawn mower asking to cut grass. I used to make $50 or $60 a week charging $10 a yard in the Summertime. Quite a bit of coin for a 10 year old in the 70's.

When I got into tree work I started out with some tree gypsies who would door knock. Not that there weren't excellent climbers to learn from, on the contrary, there were a couple of excellent climbers and salesmen I learned from. I worked with a guy my first three years that went from solicitor to big time with 2 full page yellowpage ads. I literally watched and helped him grow into something to really be proud of. Probably the best experience I could have ever received. I learned all aspects of the business from this guy, climbing, sales, efficient ground work, how to survive.

When I started out on my own I made his plan my own. I would door knock and solicit. Back in GA we had many dead pines. I would cruise neighborhoods and knock on doors with dead trees in the yard, introduce myself and tell them my company name, explain that I was working in the neighborhood and was giving really good prices while in the neighborhood and ask them if they would like me to quote them a price. Most were nice but you will get a few doors slammed in your face. Goes with the territory when your a salesman. Any good salesman can't be afraid to get a door slammed in their face or be rejected. You have to be thick skinned and not take it personal. I consider door knocking a form of guerrilla marketing. Guerrilla marketing is used by the best salesmen in the country no matter the profession. Hell my folks sell real estate and put out neighborhood news letters and go door to door delivering the news letter (flier) with info in it like what's been sold in their neighbor hood and how much. They offer free market analysis to people and let them know what their houses are worth and develope a lot of leads in doing so. You could print up brochures with proper tree care facts and deliver them door to door as an entrance. A good salesman will beat the bushes when times are slow. I normally do mass mailings of fliers but will post them on doors and mailboxes sometimes. I usually don't go door knocking these days but will definitely speak to someone if they are outside in the yard. Just haven't been hungry enough to door knock lately. Don't be ashamed to knock on doors, salesmen of all varieties have been doing it for eons. A good salesman does whatever he has to (ethically) to make the sale.

I hate tree gypsies. That is where the word gyp came from. I bet you are a piece of work.

I don't knock on a door, but I will leave a card if I see a tree blown over up against the shed and laying on the fence like I did today.

While Im on my way to the estimate im driving slowly looking for any other potential work I can line up on the same street. I am working 3 houses in a row tomorrow that all have storm damage. If the card I left calls I'll have a 4th. I don't look desperate but ill be damn if I dont hustle to get work.

:clap:for the 60mph gusts we had Thursday night!

Latest posts

Back