Door knocking -Soliciting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just get the address, go to the county appraisers office website, get the owners name and mailing address, then mail a letter/flyer to the owner. takes about 15min to get the info and mail out the letter...all from the comfort of my office. No need to knock on doors anymore.

What kind of feedback have you gotten doing this?

Vl07 has the same idea I did I sent out 10 flyers yesterday I figure if I get 1-2 jobs out of it .47 cents a letter is peanuts... I really dont ever want to knock on doors...I did a limb removel in little rock last yr and the home owner was telling me about a guy knocking on doors and he did have some work done by him... and I quote yeah man he slapped on those spike deals and shimmied right up that limb....he did a good job.... so I went in the back and looked sure enoungh you could see the spike spots and the awesome flush cuts.....
I was amazed that he didnt know any better but then I always forget to some people there just a tree and there just there... so I nicely laid it down for him no no no....... no

Is is working?

I just get the address, go to the county appraisers office website, get the owners name and mailing address, then mail a letter/flyer to the owner. takes about 15min to get the info and mail out the letter...all from the comfort of my office. No need to knock on doors anymore.

Im curious to know what kind of response your getting from this method. I get a job from about 35% of the people that come to the door.

at least 4?

Vl07 has the same idea I did I sent out 10 flyers yesterday I figure if I get 1-2 jobs out of it .47 cents a letter is peanuts... I really dont ever want to knock on doors...I did a limb removel in little rock last yr and the home owner was telling me about a guy knocking on doors and he did have some work done by him... and I quote yeah man he slapped on those spike deals and shimmied right up that limb....he did a good job.... so I went in the back and looked sure enoungh you could see the spike spots and the awesome flush cuts.....
I was amazed that he didnt know any better but then I always forget to some people there just a tree and there just there... so I nicely laid it down for him no no no....... no

did at least 4 people call you from the targeted address'?

FACT: Over 70% of people who buy new cars do so because..."THEY LIKED AND TRUSTED THEIR SALESMAN"

I am new to this and don't know any other way to sell than face to face. And so far a large part of our tree business and 80% of our stumps come from door to door. And the stumps lead to the neighbor's stumps...and tree trimming....and tree removal...and eventually you are the guy that the whole street uses for their tree work. And the best part is that since you can't see the back yards from the street...once one person lets you in their back yard...you get a glimpse of everyone else's back yard...and see even more possible work.

Being new, I cannot survive, let alone succeed on what comes to me...I have to hunt it down and hope it leads to bigger better jobs and more profits and long term repeat customers with friends and family they refer to us. And so far....this is what is happening...so we must be doing something right. The last 4 jobs we did were referrals from previous jobs we got from door knocking. I guess I am not to the point where I feel that asking people for work is beneath me...

Seems to me there are alot of people on here who have established companies. In my case im 24 and just starting a bis. There is nothing I wouldn'touldnt do to be successful. D to d is effective. Just be confident in your ability and don't be afraid to hear no. selling is a skill just like climmbing, keep practicing

I don't door knock , but what i have done was had flyers printed out ,when we were doing a large removal and will be in the area 2 days or at least all day, i would have groundies pass out flyers , they get % of job if we land it,
you get calls and you are 2 -3 blocks away , they get to see you in action ( helps with cred.) I prefer giving someone a bid on spur of moment vs, when they are shopping getting 3 or 4 estimates

Columbus took a chance why not, approach a customer with a hello my name is __________ with ___________ tree service here is my card I dident know if you had any work that needed to be done we give free estimates.

Or something along those lines i do it when I'm slow, or I'm working in a neighborhood that I have yet to advertise. You can also send flyers through the mail using a marketing service pretty reasonable usually $.25-.40/each. Depending on how many and the service you use.

We were working at an HOA that borders a nice golf course today. One of the homeowners came over and asked me if I could give her an estimate. She really has a lot of work needed. She said she asked me because lately she has had several 'door knocker's soliciting' and she don't trust people that go around and look at peoples trees and try to sell them a job.
Jeff

Keeping up with the times in this busier than ever 2013/14 season!

Door-knocking is something that may or may not be for you. There is no best way to sell. We don't all run our tree crews the same way, and we don't sell the same way either. If you can knock and sell, hey great, you are looking and acting professional. However, there are plenty of "100$ Bubba's" , teeth missing and all, 'runnin aroun, wit dey truck and saw, jus lookin for sum tree ta cut 'er up real good like,,.' Its these types that everyones afraid of, and what makes it extra difficult.

I have been in and involved in the tree business for 35 years and I have yet to meet a door knocker that either wasn't a scam artist, a dumbass, or just a jackrag in general. Might be one out there that's not...but I have not met or heard of him yet.

Well, I'm not any of those things you mentioned. I also am a Certified Arborist and I offer high quality work. Just because I dont rely on door knocking anymore, I still started my business that way. My first year I did over 30k from door 2 door, growing into a six figure income within several years. When the timing is right, I still knock, because I can get an extra job. Almost like a field goal.

Well, I'm not any of those things you mentioned. I also am a Certified Arborist and I offer high quality work. Just because I dont rely on door knocking anymore, I still started my business that way. My first year I did over 30k from door 2 door, growing into a six figure income within several years. When the timing is right, I still knock, because I can get an extra job. Almost like a field goal.

I never said you were...I just said I never met one that wasn't one of those things in my 35 years in the industry. I am also a certified arborist and since you are a certified arborist you are probably a ISA member. You then would know they frown on "door knocking". Same with NAA (now TCIA). In the old days NAA would just about throw your ass out if you did something as gypsyish and unprofessional as door knocking. All the upscale neighborhoods we work in have passed ordinances against ANY type of solicitation. Some not so upscale have. Well, it's just damn insulting for some SOB to come ringing the bell begging for work..and that's basically what it is. Don't agree with me...call ANY professional tree org. and ask their opinion on it. ISA, TCIA, ASCA...they will say what you don't want to hear.

I agree with you. Door knocking is not ideal. You will generally get less for the same job this way. But you have to start somewhere. This was an efficient way to learn sales, and a cheap way to advertise for me while starting my business, but not something I focus on. Just knock the surrounding homes to each client. Pretty easy, and they usually all know each other. Im not saying flood a cold neighborhood, and no beggin' !

When I worked for Park Cities Tree Service back in the early 80's there was this guy we called shithook that would drive around knocking doors. We would see him around maybe twice a week. He did tree work out of an old Plymouth and either made a deal to not dispose of anything or leave it all piled up by the curb. We were working at a house one time and here comes shithook driving along, stopping every house or two to knock a door. We had worked for the old man next door to where we were. He was an old retired dentist and had a dog that would eat your ass up...big old german shepard chow mix looking thing. He didn't have a bad dog sign up but that was a zero tolerance absolutlely no soliciting by city ordinance neighborhood and most of those folks thoght that was enough. Sure enough, here comes shithook up to the door and we just watch. That old man was in a wheelchair and he barely gets the door cracked and jackass is trying to tell something about a tree that needs to come down when out comes the dog. Man, that dog like to have eaten that poor bastard up.

typical Bubba ! we dont name them here, they're all just bubbas .
This is no comparison to my current method. I'm riding a fleet of powerstroke diesels with professional signs, crew with helmets and ppe, safety cones, etc... So usually the neighbors are coming out to us, or if I go up to the door, they're opening it up with SMILES -
But starting out, I certainly encountered people who didn't want to hear it,, thats fine, just moved on.

So usually the neighbors are coming out to us

That's what we do...let them come to us. I have never solicited a job in my life. Well...it's like I said earlier, if you are a member of any of the professional tree orgs. and solicit it's just plain old homespun hypocrisy. There is no two ways to slice that.

i used to work for an insurance company that made me do door to door. some people are cut out for it and some are not. if i had advice for you it would be to buy the book "the smiling idiot" sounds like a stupid book but it is the best way to go about sales. when someone turns you down you just look forward with a smile and think one down a few more and i will get a sale. listen to inspirational talks like mort utley (youtube) keep a positive attitude. Keep your head up and put in the hours. thats how all respectable businessmen make it

trailer would be
just get a bunch of liars passed out when you in the neighborhood do in a tree tell you ground guy I get 5 or 10 percent of the sale. you'll be able to give an estimate why you're right there in the neighborhood spur of the moment right on the spot and I'll have two or three other tree services coming out

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Back