Door knocking -Soliciting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been in and involved in the tree business for 35 years and I have yet to meet a door knocker that either wasn't a scam artist, a dumbass, or just a jackrag in general. Might be one out there that's not...but I have not met or heard of him yet.

Sounds like a good division of much of humanity. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't lie, cheat, steal and break the law when it suits them, myself included ... 'yes, darling, that meal was wonderful', 'Can I pay you cash and lets skip the tax' , 'I downloaded it', ,I was only going 10 miles over the limit'.

We are who we are regardless of whether we door knock or we sit and hope that the phone rings. It takes balls to door knock and I suspect the oakmen amongst us (including myself) tend to lnot to have that courage and therefore door knocking is perhaps a bit more of a eucman activity.

I was workin for a guy the other day...(self-made millionaire), as he holds up rough knarled hands, he says..."You see how nasty these knuckles are? Thats from knocking on doors..."

You guys got a website up? Google Adwords is really cheap to advertise on, you can probably get local traffic for less than $0.05 per click. If you need a website built and need some help in the internet marketing arena, I could help you out in that department.

You guys got a website up? Google Adwords is really cheap to advertise on, you can probably get local traffic for less than $0.05 per click. If you need a website built and need some help in the internet marketing arena, I could help you out in that department.
0.05 cent a click If you are the only tree service in your area. In reality, Google ad words is more like $2,3, even 4$ a click.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

A good salesman does whatever he has to (ethically) to make the sale.[/QUOTE]

One of the tree services I grind for will talk to the neighbors while his guys are working a job. Offer discounts on trimming/felling since he is already there. I have gone to grind 4 addresses all next to each other. Good for the tree service, good for the grinder, good for the home owner. Gypsy or good business...

A good salesman does whatever he has to (ethically) to make the sale.

One of the tree services I grind for will talk to the neighbors while his guys are working a job. Offer discounts on trimming/felling since he is already there. I have gone to grind 4 addresses all next to each other. Good for the tree service, good for the grinder, good for the home owner. Gypsy or good business...[/QUOTE]

Gypsy.

Gotprint.net has the best prices on door hangers and other promotional material, thought I would share since they are soo much cheaper than alternatives out there. If you need a business card or flyer made up, I could do that for you, just drop me an email.

I have sold a few thousand bucks worth of door knocks in the past few weeks. I was working next door to one of them and noticed they were watching most of the day. They had a large part of the top of the tree broken and hanging. So I sold them an eleven hundred dollar removal out of the deal and it's five miles from my house. I guess I haven't knocked on every door in a neighborhood but if I am nearby I knock and drop a card if they have potential for some work. It works pretty well since I am a people person. I used to be a scrapper and comb the countryside looking for junk cars to buy. I wouldn't have had a whole lot to haul if I didn't hustle for it.

You might want to consider when you do land a job, go knock on the immediate neighbors doors (at a reasonable hour) and let them know that you will be working next door between X and X hours on such a day and wanted to make sure they dont have any issue like birthday party etc that you might be interupting with the loud noise you will be generating. At the end slip them a business card and let them know you do free esitmates and would be happy to help them out if they were considering having something removed. That way you get some face time with new potential customers, they think your being considerate and they get a card in their hands. Other thought is to have an agreement with the land owner you do a job for to keep a small 12x12 advertisement in the lawn by the road for X many days after removal then come by and pick up the sigh or leave it for the home owner...

Don't do door knocking. If they want your services they'll ask for them. Think of the last salesman who came knocking on your door and remember how annoying it is. Tree companies that do it are generally not the sort of companies you want to be associated with. Your credibility is what will sell your services long term and door knocking will not help. Not to mention how time consuming and awkward it would be

I will stop and give people a card if I see a tree that needs attention. I have gotten many many jobs doing this. I do believe word of mouth is the best advertisment though. When I do go to someones door I pretty much use the same routine. "Hi I won't bother you long. Just seen you had some bradford pears that are looking ready to break and wanted to give you my card. I would love to give you an estimate on shaping those up if you ever decide to do so. Thank you for your time." Majority of the time they start asking me more questions as Im leaving. Ive had some that I thought they could care less and sure enough some time down the road I get a call from them. Just remember if they ask for a quote right then make sure and write down what you told them. lol

I know door knocking has to be the most effective way to get customers, however, I seem to stay blank whenever I approach a customer. Especially not know the kind of reaction I will get. My question to you is, what do you say when knocking on a strangers door to offer your tree services? Like a script. I would like to read what every says. I know I have to be happy and polite. Thanks guys
I camly walk up to the door knock and or ring the bell, take a few steps back from the door. So I do not feel like I'm rushing the person answering, plus if you stand back there is more of a chance of somebody stepping outside to talk to you. I introduce myself and the company I am working for. Let them know I am working in their area, and politely ask if they would like a estimate on any trees around their property. Depending on their response and how they read my flyer dictates my response. But if they say NO. Politely say "Ok have a nice day. I appreaciate your time Sir/Mam." Sometimes its a first door job, sometimes its a 100th knock that you find a job. But keep it up you will find work.

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread, some not so good too, lol. In the end most businesses want/need more work. Even the "big guys" still market and work towards generating more work. If they get it they simply grow, how do you think they got big. Anyone who "has enough work" is simply not growth minded, which is ok (for them) if that's what they want and are comfortable with. There are trade offs with growth, obviously.
I think the simplest answer is staring everyone in the face. Everyone reading this thread is reading it on a computer/mobile device. The same goes for your potential customers, they don't check the phone book anymore, at least those that do are quickly becoming the minority, if they aren't already. Rather than spending your time walking all over the place, spend it working on your web presence. Put your business where your customers are looking and they will find you.

Ok first off anyone who is dogging door knocking can go suck balls. You guys are probably 2nd generation company owners who's daddy set you up or don't even truly own your company. There are people who don't even know they need tree work until a true professional points it out. For example when a tree starts getting sucker growth. A lot of homeowners don't even know what that is so if you make them aware of a situation and recommend that they get it taken care before it becomes more hazardous then not only are you looking for the homeowners best interest but your employees as well cause anyone who has any kind of real experience in a tree knows how dangerous a dead tree can be. I could diss on any form of advertising but what's the point? We're not on here to get talked down upon but to help each other out and give advice or look for answers. Those who are dissing need to grow up. This isn't 3rd grade anymore. Everybody has different walks of life and if you can't understand that then shame on you and your stupidity :)

Latest posts

Back