Double end double rope climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When using an e2e and hitch pulley and wanting to use double end climbing, do you use 2 e2es and 2 hitch pulleys or do you just use a blakes hitch on the end that does not have an e2e and hitch pulley?

most people just use a single symmetrical hitch without a pulley for a double ended flipline. You can obviously only 'tension' one end, but you're usually only using one end. It's great for bypassing branches when spur climbing. The alternative is a rope with hitch and then a single flipline, or two fliplines each with their own pulley/hitch. Either way, you still want a rope.

Shaun

It would be a pain in the ass to have two full set ups, one for each end of your rope. I sometimes use the other end as an extra long lanyard, I carry a spare Prusik loop and just use that whenever

I have rigged both ends of a climbing rope for DRT using VT friction knots. Why? I had three branches I needed to access ... all at nearly the same height (30' above ground) ... and each target TIP was about 10' away from the others. There was no place to tie in above these points.

I set friction savers on two branches and rigged my climbing rope to both. When I finished working at the first branch, I lowered myself about 5' and pulled up the other end of the rope. Then I connected the second VT hitch to my harness and took out all the slack ... cradling between the two branches. I then reduced tension from the first TIP until completed supported by the second TIP. After reaching the worksite near the second TIP, I repositioned the rope from the first TIP to the third and repeated the lateral transfer from one end of the rope to the other. I did need a groundie to pull the rope back to me before I could set the VT hitch for accessing the third TIP.

The result? I was able to access three different locations 30' above ground, but only climbed about 45' total versus making three separate 30' climbs.

Back