Double widow maker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misfitecho

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok guys so looking for some advice on how to fell this guy. Honestly it’s a little daunting on how to drop this thing. Any advice is appreciated. Also have a Stihl 660 echo 590 two tractors and some winches. I’m also proficient at winching and can rig rope.

How tall is that? From the vid it only looks about 8' tall, but can be deceiving. I would cut all the downed limbs/stems, working from the tips in. Once you are near the stub, just fall it normally.

If it is taller than it looks, cut the limbs back until they are free from the ground, put a rope in the top, notch leave a big hinge and pull it over.

I might attach to the limb (90 deg) a few feet from the trunk and pull it over. Assuming the hinge or trunk is weak. If not, I’d take a saw and make it so but only if I could do it safely. If I felt the least bit wary I’d cut the limbs starting at the tips then have a nice bonfire. Where in Alabama are you?

I like that idea @JTM once I get done getting this roofing done I'll check the stumps integrity. And I'm just outside Huntsville in Gurley.

I may try to pull them. Measured the base today. Its about 75" in diameter. Those upper branches are pushing 30+ inches and about 40' and 60' long. Thing is oak. So I may need to anchor my truck with the tractor :rock:

Both limbs are forked. Not sure how much is held up on one however. Having them roll is a large concern...

What’s the consensus about scaling that thing and helping free some of the wood holding the limbs prior to pulling the limbs down with a winch? I’m guessing worst case is it slips knocks the stump and sends me?

This will be the largest thing size with I’ve dealt with, wouldn’t mind a cheerleader. Maybe I’ll film this so we have something to laugh at later

When the rain ends I’ll grab a new picture. Turns out the left beach is actually 2 branches one is stuck in the other and both are held up by some small straps and a little spur sticking out who’s integrity is sketch at beast. I worked on the spots it was held up by other trees and got some of the limbing done. It’s surrounded by thick greenbrier so going was painfully slow ;)

Ok guys so looking for some advice on how to fell this guy. Honestly it’s a little daunting on how to drop this thing. Any advice is appreciated. Also have a Stihl 660 echo 590 two tractors and some winches. I’m also proficient at winching and can rig rope.

ah what man would want 2 wives,,,

& why do you need to? suggesting as it looks to be out in the woods and pose low risk, but if has to go get a rope on the natural weight side notch out some holding timbers & winch it off and down... oh have a run away route planned and some back up under pants & emt person on site... :)

and wedges plastic steel whatever you can fashion will be your friend and aid as the weight wood cuts will want close up & jam your nice 660

Defintaly have been running wedges on every cut as most of those limbs are in heavy bind.

I've also been doing a slight offset cut to break the holding wood when doing the supported limbs because they have been letting go with such force.

Oh and forget about winching it down. It pulled my rig out of a ditch and just pulled me to the tree. My rig was at close to a wheel mire so about 7000 on the winch. Some of the sections seemed so unstable I was making. Cut then leaving the holding wood, and winching that piece free.

Also reason I want this thing down is its not only a massive 130' wide eyesore 60' off my driveway it blocking the easiest path to get to the 4 fields I have over their. And because who doesn't love a challenge?

Defintaly have been running wedges on every cut as most of those limbs are in heavy bind.

I've also been doing a slight offset cut to break the holding wood when doing the supported limbs because they have been letting go with such force.

Oh and forget about winching it down. It pulled my rig out of a ditch and just pulled me to the tree. My rig was at close to a wheel mire so about 7000 on the winch. Some of the sections seemed so unstable I was making. Cut then leaving the holding wood, and winching that piece free.

Also reason I want this thing down is its not only a massive 130' wide eyesore 60' off my driveway it blocking the easiest path to get to the 4 fields I have over their. And because who doesn't love a challenge?

Looks like your got the skills & gear to sort it just need to manage the risk as best possible...& thats a good idea to piece it apart and out & beak it down.. Um can you attach the winch rope on outer end of limb & pull it side ways to take advantage of leverage?

Back