Douglas Fir Foliage Sparsity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbusuito

Reaction score
Hello,

I have three Douglas Fir tress in the backyard of a home we recently moved to. One is especially sparse but the other two seem to be leaning that direction too. Also I notice today that many of the needs toward the inner portion of the trees are starting to yellow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Location is SE MI.
Fir 1.jpg Fir 2.jpg Fir 3.jpg

Could be Rhabdocline or Swiss Needlecast. Could also be natural fall needle drop. Send a sample to your local ag station for a diagnosis.

From your pictures I’m not thinking they look to bad but photos only tell so much.

From the photos, those trees don't look sparse to me. Doug Fir is native where I live, and unless I'm missing something, those trees look fine.

In the fall of the year, innermost needles on conifers die and are shed, very similar to how deciduous trees shed their entire crop of leaves (as Jed said above). My place is currently littered with pine needles, as I live in a Ponderosa Pine forest. The yellowing in your photos seems similar to what's occurring on my Doug Fir trees.

If you're still concerned, consult with your extension service, local forester, or arborist.

Thank you everyone for your input and advice, it's very helpful. I'm going get in contact with the local MSU Extension office here in SE MI just to be cautious. I'll keep you posted on the outcome. Thank you again!

Back