DR Rapidfire K22 review (22 ton)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playback

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got this last weekend and gave it a run Saturday and Sunday. My first impression was that it might not be strong enough but after using it and getting the hang of it, it seems to work really well...and fast!

I don't have access to much good wood, so I ended up splitting about 1.5 cords of some type of pine. It isn't very seasoned, but I had no trouble splitting 25" diameter by 18" long with some knots.

I didn't even try to tackle the forks or really knotty junctions on some of what I had, there is no way it would handle those. They were decent knotty forks though, so I don't feel bad that it couldn't handle them.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It's very fast, so it was all I could do to keep up with it. I had it parked behind the wagon/trailer and used that as my table which helped reduce bending over and not needing the additional $200 table that you can buy for it.

It starts up on the second pull every time and ran a good 1.5 hours on a tank ( I think it's like 1/4 gallon tank).

I've never used any other type of splitter before (just hand maul/splitting axe) so I don't have the best comparative review.

PROS:

Splits fast
Light and easy to move around the yard
Good on gas
Not too loud

CONS:

I haven't measure it yet, but I think the space they give for splitting length is too short. It is rated to split 18" logs and I think that's all the room between the wedge and the ramming bar. There were several times that I eyeball cut logs the length of my chainsaw bar (18") and it was just too long to fit on the splitter. So a longer splitting length, like 24" would be nice.

I wish this small version was road towable to some degree, but the more $$$ models are. I knew that going in, just wish it was still...

I wish the front leg was foldable for when you pick it up and move it. The handle for moving it is attached to it but your legs end up hitting it when walking with it. Folding would be great on the calves.

Anyways, only had it for about 4 days so I'll review again after I put some more mileage on it.

Anyone else have one of these? Would love to hear your feedback, pros and cons!

b4e49e7057e5a29ec8c719e690b240c9.jpg

c4acad228a5c4ef1fcc2ea56dbdc61c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back