Drive link maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sega

Reaction score
Hi after filing the saw bar that had slight hight difference I mounted the chain for filing. I noticed the drive links are sliding on the bottom of the groove and has clearance between the saw bar rail and the part in the link which should slide on them.
after comparing with a new chain and bar I was sure that the drive links should be shorter now in order to pair with the saw bar properly
So I grinded them. The drive links has that profile with concavity to carry oil. I kept that one as it was grinding only the tip parallel to the bar line.
Now I'm in great doubts about going to operate that saw bar and chain since I couldn't do d any example from someone else who might have done so.
Thinking a bit and reading thoroughly I understand that the sprocket might not accept the chain so tight as before and cause chain drop .
Maybe lubrification would go wrong if I created to much clearance from the bottom of the groove to the tip of the drive link.
Friction would go only on the top of the rails now but isn't it any the situation?
Hope to get some advise here tnx for reading anyway

. . . I was sure that the drive links should be shorter . . .
So I grinded them. . . . the sprocket might not accept the chain so tight as before
Welcome to A.S.

Generally, when the chain drive links bottom out in the guide bar groove, it is time to replace the bar. It is likely that the width of the bar groove is also worn and sloppy, and the nose sprocket (if present) is also worn out. In 'days past', bars could be re-grooved but that is only done now on very expensive, or special bars.

Filing / grinding the bottom of the chain drive links to fit the shallow bar groove would probably 'work', if done carefully. But again, these are 'wear' / 'consumable' components that sound like they are past their reliable service life and should just be replaced.

Check your drive sprocket for wear as well: the sprocket / guide bar / and chain should be viewed as a system, and works best when all the components wear together.

Philbert

Back