Drolet blackcomb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polish hammer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a drolet blackcomb wood stove works well.. I usually start a fire around 130pm and run it till 9pm then it burns out during the night.. It seems on weekends or when I’m home days in a row that after day 2-3 it doesn’t burn as good and doesn’t seem to keep the house up to temp this is year 3 or 4 so it’s more then a hunch.. seems like if the stove and pipe stay warm for long period of time it’s not as efficient any ideas why? Not enough draft?

Double wall stainless pipe 12-14 feet of pipe

That is the opposite of The way it supposed to happen.

The warmer the pipe the better the draft.

I know this is subjective but what are your stove top temps you are trying to achieve?

Also, are you doing anything different on the days you stay home versus the Days you leave the stove running while gone?

Anything at all? Even the type or age of wood.

There are TONS of variables.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Pipe temp idk I never have taken a temperature so don’t have a thermostat on the pipe maybe I should start there.. the only thing I do different on days I’m around is burn less hard of wood like popple cottonwood and the shorts and uglies that I don’t want to sell there all seasoned a full 12’months and kept under a roof the last 3-5 ish months it does create a lot more ash in the small firebox?

Im my experience with a small indoor stove like we (you and I ) have (small compared to an outdoor wood burner) when the stove is full of odd shaped pieces the air control needs left open more than normal to achieve proper STT.

I have a PE Summit.

I burn the odd shaped pieces and overly large pieces when I am home on the weekends. Absolutely every single time i do this the air control needs to be left open a significant amount compared to when I stack nice shaped pc’s good and tight for long burns.

In my opinion I would start off by getting a infrared thermometer like these. Read the directions and set it correctly.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...le-auto-sparkle-tetris&ref_=sb_s_sparkle_slot

Start keeping track of your stove top temperatures. Since you have a double wall in the house you cannot read the pipe with this.

Run your stove as you normally do and note what the stove top temperatures are. It is a good reference point. Visual reference is first and foremost but STT is a repeatable reference you can use.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Back