ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Drop Start, no, yes, when, never.

Discussion in 'Arborist 101' started by Wow, Sep 23, 2019.

1. old CB

old CB ArboristSite Operative

Yep, I've never so much as nicked a boot with a running saw--a moving chain has never touched me in almost 50 yrs of cutting. However, have drawn plenty of blood in small cuts when sharpening. Every damn time I say, next time use gloves. But how ya gonna handle that file with gloves on?

grizz55chev, SeMoTony and chipper1 like this.
  2. Wow

Wow ArboristSite Guru

Most time I glove one hand also cover some teeth with doubled shop clothes. What helps me is I have a jig that I designed and built. By removing the bar and and placing it on my jig I can get to it better.

SeMoTony likes this.
  3. sundance

sundance ArboristSite Guru

Details about this jig? Sounds like it could be helpful.

SeMoTony and chipper1 like this.
  4. Wow

Wow ArboristSite Guru

This is a photo.
    The chain and bar mounted. For some reason several of the photos double posted. IMG_20191009_120848_045.jpg IMG_20180204_214600.jpg

5. Wow

Wow ArboristSite Guru

I fixed it. Notice the clutch is attached to a turnbuckle. Bolt the bar on teeth facing the direction you choose. Backwards makes it easy for me. It's like the saw is upside down. With the motor removed there is plenty of room. I clamp this and change Chainsaws and bars as I work. Good luck.

6. chipper1

chipper1 Living Life to the Full

I read your post first, I thought he was doing a jig to drop start his saw :laugh:.

Speaking of drop starting, I did it a bunch today with a ported 70cc saw, it worked fine :).
    I don't drop start them as many of you are speaking. I normally hold the top handle in my left hand and then pull the recoil with my right. I will do it the opposite sometimes, just not as often.

Homelite Red and SeMoTony like this.
  7. Wow

Wow ArboristSite Guru

Sorry, yes, I can see how my post could be confusing.
    I was actually conversing with someone about cuts on hands from chains during hand filing.
    Have a great day.

8. chipper1

chipper1 Living Life to the Full

Once I read your post I got it, but I started with the other guys post asking to see the jig, I thought for sure it was all a joke.
    Looks like your jig works well.
    I ground a 24" chain today, it was a brand new exl chain, I ran it on a job and flush cut a nasty stump with it. Needless to say it took more than once around and the rakers needed quite a bit taken off when I was done with it and it still has some chrome missing on a few teeth, I'll get those the next time around.

SeMoTony likes this.
  9. SeMoTony

SeMoTony Addicted to ArboristSite

Now that I have used my 661 for large firewood I can see that foot in handle works better. When on an Alaskan mill I'll keep dropping the ph end while mill is resting on log. 2 each their own.

chipper1 likes this.
  10. Wow

Wow ArboristSite Guru

I wish my big steel toe boot would go into the handle of my Echo saws. I'm not gonna wear non steel toe boots or remove my boot. They keep making these handles tighter. I'm thinking maybe my boot goes into my Sthil, can't remember. Next time I use the 029 I'll check. Mostly all I run is Echo now days. cs352, cs490, cs590. I don't think about it. Just start and go. I did however notice the cs352 and cs490 echos won't fit my boot.