Dropping Ash tree on the lake.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiHD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Nothing special just dropping an ash that was hit by lightning a few years back. New homeowner was concerned. Little nervous about driving on the ice but the locals were saying it was 2 feet thick and people drive across it all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye-8Ckf8bXA

Heads up to all the rednecks and good ol boys...turn of your speakers if you hate hip hop!!

:cheers:

Hey quit cuttin on my terf!

Haha just kiddin man, nice job. I can't believe the ice held for that!

Was that classified? I'm sure it was, whats that song called?

The only thing that would have made that interesting is if the ice gave way and the two trucks went under. Maybe you do that all the time and have confidence in it but I would think the dynamic forces are too unpredictable to risk that especially with your trucks and chipper on the ice.

Hey quit cuttin on my terf!

Haha just kiddin man, nice job. I can't believe the ice held for that!

Was that classified? I'm sure it was, whats that song called?

Classified-Oh Canada, yeah I was nervous on the ice but it was 2 feet thick...apparently that's lots?

Someone told me that those big transports will be fine on anything over 18" so I felt somewhat safe but still nervous!

The only thing that would have made that interesting is if the ice gave way and the two trucks went under. Maybe you do that all the time and have confidence in it but I would think the dynamic forces are too unpredictable to risk that especially with your trucks and chipper on the ice.

Have you ever posted a vid? Go have another glass of haterade.

Last edited:
Another thing this is a very shallow lake...6 feet at it's deepest point and the day before they had drag races across the middle of it!!

Have you ever posted a vid? Go have another glass of haterade.

What were you expecting someone to jump up and praise you for a simple notch and drop. No idea on actual dimensions so lets just assume the tree ways 4000lbs its not far fetched to think that could be producing 40,000lbs of force on impact so I dont think that wondering how safe that was is that out of the ordinary and it wasnt meant to be offensive just curious. The part that bugged me was the music, bragging about being Canadian is like running around waving your bronze metal yelling I got third I got third... No one really cares.

lol.

thanks for sharing. part timers think its easy. ive seen classified. he from nova scotia, no? saw him in halifax.

So Oldirt since your the self appointed gods gift to tree cutters tell what was so impressive about that.

The part that bugged me was the music, bragging about being Canadian is like running around waving your bronze metal yelling I got third I got third... No one really cares.

Now thats pretty funny Stihl. I turned off my speakers, I hate hip-hop, rap, whatever you wanna call that grunting ape with a turntable dreck.
Now, the undercut was a little big, the backcut was a little high, but at least it was straight and level. Would have been safer to hang a block on one truck, and pull with the other truck on solid ground. And wedges could have been used, just in case. But a decent job, went as planned.

What were you expecting someone to jump up and praise you for a simple notch and drop. No idea on actual dimensions so lets just assume the tree ways 4000lbs its not far fetched to think that could be producing 40,000lbs of force on impact so I dont think that wondering how safe that was is that out of the ordinary and it wasnt meant to be offensive just curious. The part that bugged me was the music, bragging about being Canadian is like running around waving your bronze metal yelling I got third I got third... No one really cares.

So Oldirt since your the self appointed gods gift to tree cutters tell what was so impressive about that.

As I said in the first post..."nothing special", first time out working this year and happened to have the camera. Never seen you post a single video but always seem to be the first to rip someone or try to bring them down. I guess that's your thing. As far as the music I even warned you about it.
Olddirty we had a 3:1 on the pull rope, and the toolbox with the wedges got left at the shop. Tree was pretty much straight up and down, maybe a very slight back lean so I wasn't too worried.

Peace.

Last edited:
As I said in the first post..."nothing special", first time out working this year and happened to have the camera. Never seen you post a single video but always seem to be the first to rip someone or try to bring them down. I guess that's your thing. As far as the music I even warned you about it.
Olddirty we had a 3:1 on the pull rope, and the toolbox with the wedges got left at the shop. Tree was pretty much straight up and down, maybe a very slight back lean so I wasn't too worried.

Peace.

I wasnt ripping you or your work I think your confused I am more then polite all the time. If I am ripping someone here its usually in fun not on their work quality. I was honestly just questioning the soundness of dropping all that weight on the ice with 80k in equipment parked on it. Sorry you took offense at the first post... but not the second. I know as Oldirt mentioned I am not a "fulltime" tree worker but I know enough about WLL and dynamic weighting that it may have been a little questionable. I just think if you calculated it and new it to be safe maybe you should have supported that with a little data so every Do it yourselfer or part time know nothing doesnt think that is safe to do all the time.

Last edited:
you couldnt do that tree. any which way you look at it.

lol yeah okay Oldirt whatever dude, I really respect your knowledge and your opinion but your just talking out of your ass man. With the split or with out it there was nothing hard about that tree, also like I said I wasnt busting his balls about the job just dropping that on the ice. It was out of actual curiosity about the safety of it. I know very well that you dont like people that dont do tree work full time, but I would really respect you more if you would base your judgements on facts and not prejudicial self philosophies (let me know if I need to explain the big words to you). I apologize to you that I make more in 1 year then you do in 2 or 3 in your job in my first job maybe I should quit that and hope I would meet your approval. When I retire and I am doing tree work full time you are gonna have to come up with a new reason to dislike me.

Last edited:
lol yeah okay Oldirt whatever dude, I really respect your knowledge and your opinion but your just talking out of your ass man. With the split or with out it there was nothing hard about that tree, also like I said I wasnt busting his balls about the job just dropping that on the ice. It was out of actual curiosity about the safety of it. I know very well that you dont like people that dont do tree work full time, but I would really respect you more if you would base your judgements on facts and not prejudicial self philosophies (let me know if I need to explain the big words to you). I apologize to you that I make more in 1 year then you do in 2 or 3 in your job in my first job maybe I should quit that and hope I would meet your approval. When I retire and I am doing tree work full time you are gonna have to come up with a new reason to dislike me.

so this is what it sounds like when you jerk off into your own mouth?

you and your money. blah b;ah blah. you sound like the typical hard on cop that thinks his sht dont stink.

whatever though keep doing those cake trees. thats the difference between the two of us, career wise. i could do both of your jobs no problem. you couldn't do mine.

I wasnt ripping you or your work I think your confused I am more then polite all the time. If I am ripping someone here its usually in fun not on their work quality. I was honestly just questioning the soundness of dropping all that weight on the ice with 80k in equipment parked on it. Sorry you took offense at the first post... but not the second. I know as Oldirt mentioned I am not a "fulltime" tree worker but I know enough about WLL and dynamic weighting that it may have been a little questionable. I just think if you calculated it and new it to be safe maybe you should have supported that with a little data so every Do it yourselfer or part time know nothing doesnt think that is safe to do all the time.

No problem man you make some valid points. The lake depth (Chemong Lake is 6 feet deep at it's deepest point!) at the shore was 3 feet and the ice was 2 feet thick so I felt pretty good. I was nervous as hell driving on the ice especially since a guy put his truck through the ice 20 mins south of here last week pulling out an ice hut. That lake is a lot deeper and has many rivers and underground streams taht don't freeze over that well. I know this lake quite well. I said a little prayer before I drove onto the ice!!

I definately don't recomend this to anyone, but knew the homeowner was getting a few quotes and priced it to be in and out in less than 3 hours. It's been a slow winter! Would I do it again? Yes, definately on this lake because I know it so well, but never on any other lake. The temp has been -20 for the last 3 weeks overnight.

At least you know what saws to use! Now, I will live up to another Canadian stereotype and crack my 10th beer for the night and continue celebrating my Toronto Maple Leafs stomping of the Ottawa Senators even though we are last place in the league!!!

:cheers:

Dropping trees out onto the ice is a common practice in my area.many of the waterways are lowered in the winter so there the lake or river freezes right to the bottom.Lots of times it is the easiest way to access island properties.Always amusing to see somone encounter topwater for the first time,they think they are going down and can not undersatnd why everyone else is not panicing.Knowing ice conditions in the specific location is very important however.

The part that bugged me was the music, bragging about being Canadian is like running around waving your bronze metal yelling I got third I got third... No one really cares.

WTF is with that SoM...

As far as having the equipment out there... well 24" of ice is alot. But I probably would have waited until after dropping the tree to move it out there. By the sounds of it you were probably only in a couple feet of water anyways though.

Classifieds good ####. What else do you think all us stoner Canadians do up here, other than hotbox igloos.....?

Latest posts

Back