Drove thr Bota 6 miles yesterday.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alleyyooper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
MY largest sumer lawn to mow customer called said they had a tree down and wanted it removed.

I loaded 3 saws on the bota and drove the 6 miles one way to remove it for them. I started out with the CS400 on the extreamly hard dry Ash.got 3/4 of a bucket load of some nice wood.

The chain that took the hit from the tree spike was cutting great for about half the tree, then bang, the chain broke. Second Chain for the CS 400 that has broke in about 6 days.

Of course those are not the only chains that have broken on the CS 400. I have never had a chain break with any other saw I own since I have had chain saws.

The last two were Oregon S 62's I got from the Echo dealer. Think I will go buy a HFrivet punch and spinner and start making my own chain from loops.
Should have been doing that for years now.

See if i can get pictures today.

:D Al

I never had a chain break, had plenty come off the bar. Dose it make you have to change your shorts?

No the shorts were fine. My saws have the chain catchers on them still and if they break I will replace them.

Was busy yesterday so din't get pictures yesterday. Hope to get that done today.

I think the box store Oregon chain isn't all that good compared to what is sold by saw dealers.

Never had a chain break either, something is wrong with your setup, with drive sprocket or something hell if I know.

I have the same saw, and had one that broke! Well not broke but cracked found well sharpening removed before it broke completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You hit something and the chain broke.
Having done that, inspect the bar and nose sprocket completely, and as suggested, check the drive sprocket and shaft.
It could also be from running too tight, or too loose. There are youtube videos in slow motion running loose chain. It comes off the sprocket, arches, and dives into the bar hard. Do that a million times and it probably has an effect.
And as you suggest, it could be poor quality chain.
The entire chain needs a good look over with some magnification. Is the break fresh, or was it partially cracked and rusted?
I have hit several things, the result has been broken teeth, and trashed a chain with less than two hours run time. Usually, not so bad, taking a tiny jump and dulling up cutters on one side.
I have also learned by trial and error, bar maintenance is just as important as sharpening skills.

Back