DRT in-tree advancement?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOutdoor

Reaction score
My very first thread after lurking here for quite some time, I decided to register and here I am. I would like someone to critique a system, still haven't tried, but the idea is in my head. This system seems pretty common. Let me know if you are using the same technique or maybe if there is another more efficent way of going about things.

-Up rope attached to harness through the spliced eye on end of climbing rope via a carabiner.

-Seperate rope with blakes hitch attached to down rope with end secured to biner on harness.

-Seperate section of closed rope forming a Prusik on my up rope that is attached via a carabiner to a cmi micro pulley that is secured under the Blakes Hitch.

My questions is, when I reach my anchor point in the tree, is it efficient to
1)Secure to a limb (a must)
2)Pitch my throwline to a higher branch
3)Unclip up rope from harness and prepare my friction saver for next attachment
4)Untie Prusik (so that the up rope can be pulled through friction saver)
5)Slide Blakes Hitch down rope as I am advancing the up-rope through the friction saver
6)Pull up rope through friction saver and secure back to my harness
7)Re-attach Prusik and prepare for another ascent

Is there a more efficient way of doing this using the DRT method. I have not tried this yet but owuld like more felxibility in my climbs, especially wanting to do some tree camping this year. I will always be secured to the tree when un-clipping. I am just wondering if this method is proficient, or if I am creating uneccessary work for myself.

I am soon to add handle ascenders attached to footloops and want to work out the bugs first before I "elevate" my horizons. Any and all help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable. Sometimes you'll find that the hitch advancer gets in the way. If you tie your Blake's lower (shorten the split tail) you can grab the rope one hand above the hitch and one below, just slide the hitch up as you stand on the tail (down rope). A Pantin helps to put leg power on the tail or an ascender with footloops as you mentioned. Pantin has the advantage of being hands free.

Many ways to advance the rope, depends on how far apart the branches are. You can use the other end of your climbing rope, make a monkey fist, throw it over next branch, tie-in and continue climbing alternating the ends of your rope per pitch. Or lanyard in and make a monkey first with the top of your climbing rope and do the same. For longer pitches I have a small pouch with throwline and an 8oz throwbag.

Many work climbers use their pole saw to advance the rope but that technique requires dragging a pole along with you in the tree. Fine if you're planning on using it.
-moss

Sounds reasonable. Sometimes you'll find that the hitch advancer gets in the way. If you tie your Blake's lower (shorten the split tail) you can grab the rope one hand above the hitch and one below, just slide the hitch up as you stand on the tail (down rope). A Pantin helps to put leg power on the tail or an ascender with footloops as you mentioned. Pantin has the advantage of being hands free.

Many ways to advance the rope, depends on how far apart the branches are. You can use the other end of your climbing rope, make a monkey fist, throw it over next branch, tie-in and continue climbing alternating the ends of your rope per pitch. Or lanyard in and make a monkey first with the top of your climbing rope and do the same. For longer pitches I have a small pouch with throwline and an 8oz throwbag.

Many work climbers use their pole saw to advance the rope but that technique requires dragging a pole along with you in the tree. Fine if you're planning on using it.
-moss
Moss, the info is greatly appreciated. I am always open to new ideas. The pantin on one foot in conjunction with footlocking on the other seems like a mighty efficient way of ascending. I like the idea of going the more economical route before investing in ascenders, well half the price, seems like the logical choice. I assume that there may be times that ascenders would come in handy too. But I am definitely all for the pantin idea and I willprobably end up liking it. I do like the fact of less "clutter" per se compared to ascenders attached to my harness, and webbing for footloops attached to the ascenders. As for the monkey fist, I did not even think about using the end of my rope to advance to the next TIP, assuming it is within range. Thanks for opening me up to new ideas!

Last edited:
As for the monkey fist, I did not even think about using the end of my rope to advance to the next TIP, assuming it is within range.

Check out the different monkey fist forms in Jepson's Tree Climber's Companion. These are not the ornamental monkey fists you'll find in knot books. The open form is a good one, it falls apart after it goes over the branch. This helps because the closed form (hangs together after the throw) could get hung in some situations. With practice it can be thrown pretty far if needed.
-moss

Handled ascender. vs Pantine

If you've already got a handled ascender, the above system could be used with a foot loop, am I right? And just for clarification the distance between the blake's and the attachment point on the harness should be shorter than if you weren't using you legs in the DRT???

Thanks for any help clarifying.

If you've already got a handled ascender, the above system could be used with a foot loop, am I right? And just for clarification the distance between the blake's and the attachment point on the harness should be shorter than if you weren't using you legs in the DRT???

Thanks for any help clarifying.

Traditional body thrust climbing with a Blake's you want the hitch high enough so you can pull the tail below the hitch. I haven't used body thrust for access (getting up to the first branch) for years. It's great for short moves in the tree but to ascend any distance I like the hitch lower (as you described) footlock the tail, Pantin, or ascender/footloops (all accomplishes the same thing), as I mentioned grab the rope one hand above the hitch one below and climb like that. Lower hand pushes the hitch up as you stand on the tail. You can still body thrust that way too if you want with a little practice.
-moss

Traditional body thrust climbing with a Blake's you want the hitch high enough so you can pull the tail below the hitch
-moss
I have been brainstorming ideas. Tell me if ths sounds reasonable. To reduce clutter for DRT I may:
1)Use a distel hitch again connected to a biner to my harness
2)Prussik to a CMI micro to slacktend my hitch(I may use a CMI double to attach to distel on one side, and then attach to my harness)
-Would the pulley be strong enough to support my weight and engage the hitch correctly? I have not loaded any weight to a pulley ever.

Now for SRT ascent:
1)Figure 8 tied off, connect throwline to F8 loop, pull over branch (no trunk anchor)
2)Tie end to throwline, pull end through loop made with F8 (this allows you to secure to branch too high to bring both ends down to ground level)
3)SRT ascend through whatever preferred set-up
4)Secure to branch or trunk and rig for SRT or DRT further ascent
5)Descending, would it be reasonable to attach a throwline above the figure 8 knot to retrieve my rope before I descend? Or is there another methond without the use of more equipment to retrieve my rope.

This is assuming there is no trunk anchor at ground level, and that every safety observation was accounted for.. I am trying to branch off from the DRT method and looking for the most efficient method to use SRT or DRT to SRT, or SRT to SRT, or SRT to DRT (which I may use DRT to SRT more often)ground assessment to decidre the most effcient method. That is assuming that I will be advancing further. I am trying to eliminate the Prussik for SRT climbs. Regardless, practicing efficient SRT ascents before advancing further on climbs is a definite must I will hold myself to.

Wow my head hurts, hope you can understand this. It might be a thing of just trying and testing, but not wanting to go into blind. Moss, your a big help and your info is very helpful as well as anyone else who would like to contribute. I don't want to be limited by one certain technique that might save my life in the future.

Last edited:
Back