Dual dogs / bucking spikes with pics.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wanted to share here as no one else I know cares about chainsaws. Looks gorgeous and being larger than the previous standard dog, actually useful. Had I had read the instructions I wouldn’t have had to sand the bolts and nuts back and I would have orientated them correctly. Anyway, they won’t be loosening, they are torqued and lock tight’ed, besides it looks cleaner this way.

11DA72D0-3876-410D-B804-3D7FEF55AB76.jpeg 0744049A-4C94-4CEC-8922-97837C26F0D7.jpeg

Haven't got the other one yet,I just made one for my 462 from a piece of stainless steel, 2.5mm thick. I am planning to make one for the clutch cover too.
8872a4453d3332cc3a33b255f228b418.jpg
32e970548d3ae581525969524039644f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wanted to share here as no one else I know cares about chainsaws. Looks gorgeous and being larger than the previous standard dog, actually useful. Had I had read the instructions I wouldn’t have had to sand the bolts and nuts back and I would have orientated them correctly. Anyway, they won’t be loosening, they are torqued and lock tight’ed, besides it looks cleaner this way.

I worked on a Stihl 440 and I saw that the nylon chain guides were missing from the cover. The dog bolts were installed with the nuts on the inside. That did not allow the guides to fit.

Switched orientation of the bolt with the nuts to the outside and installed the nylon guides back.

The chain was wearing a slight grove in the cover where the nylon guides are a softer consumable material than the metal cover.

Wanted to share here as no one else I know cares about chainsaws.
I like the way it looks Tom. Have you thought about changing your profile name from “Spoon carving with Tom” to “Chainsaws with Tom”? Might be a bit more fitting these days. Have a great day!

I worked on a Stihl 440 and I saw that the nylon chain guides were missing from the cover. The dog bolts were installed with the nuts on the inside. That did not allow the guides to fit.

Switched orientation of the bolt with the nuts to the outside and installed the nylon guides back.

The chain was wearing a slight grove in the cover where the nylon guides are a softer consumable material than the metal cover.
Going to the shed and gonna go switch mine around (that’s why I had to grind the bolt and nut) I feel like a idiot

Don't worry Justin... we ALL done something to fit that phrase!

We should have a sticky post " Done something really stupid?" It will amaze you what has been already done so that you can't claim to be the first..........
Yea really :ices_rofl:

Latest posts

Back