Duluth, MN mechanic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94SRUNNER

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is not a correct place to post this and move it if needed.

I recently gave my brother a rebuilt Stihl 028 WB as a housewarming gift. It was running great then and still is running very well.

However, in the future if he needs it worked on I'd like to have a resource for him in Duluth. If anyone has a good recommendation for a Stihl mechanic in the Duluth area I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.

I live in the area. Not much for just saw dealers here that I would trust to get good results with a saw. There are several still dealers in the area. Out of the bigger ones, Denny's Lawn and Garden would probably have the best reputation. However, last time I called them about some work on a saw, they told me to drop it off and take a number since they were 2 months backlogged (late fall so snow blowers were in demand to be fixed).So either they have good results on there service or they are the ONLY game in town.

I would not go to Duluth lawn and sport or L &M in Cloquet for service. Both sell Stihl, both say they service, I haven't had good luck with either. Unfortunately all saw shops in the area are big box stores or sell mostly ATV/UTV.

You best bet is to find a good local small engine mechanic, but they might have trouble getting Stihl parts.

Your results may vary.

acme tools does an okay job you just have to be observant as most are parts swappers. if the carb is bad they would just replace the whole carb and not replace or clean the carb. Best bet is have him come on to the site or at least try to learn the ins and outs so that when time comes for him to bring the saw in he can relate and then make the best decision for him if it is worth it or not for the requested service.

There used to be a guy about an hour north of duluth that was excellent, he recently closed due to health issues.
It wasn't an hour but were you referring to Rice Lake Small Engine? My grandpa bought all of his equipment there.

Or perhaps you were referring to Omar's in Hibbing?

I don't know but maybe @MnSam does.

Steven

I'd love to help out but Duluth is about 3 1/2 hours from me. The first issue is finding a reputable business to work on it, the second issue is the fact that the expense may be cost prohibitive. They're good saws but are a bit outdated. I'd almost recommend he join here and befriend a member who lives nearby!

ill lean in on this one....o would say the occasional use saws are kind of like instant coffee mix and go but not so great. Iv only fixed a few but the big let down is that they lack potential to be improved you can make some more power and surley put a good bar and chain on one but they have a limit to how good they can be....I don't think they could be modded up to the old time "farm saw " standard. I think most farm saw of today if set up correctly and cared for can last a long time....The pro saws yet another level of quality....I feel things have changed a lot. Farm saws were once somewhat detuned or pro saws without as many bells and whistles but generally of the same quality...I don't think it quite like that anymore by any means!

the can

It wasn't an hour but were you referring to Rice Lake Small Engine? My grandpa bought all of his equipment there.

Or perhaps you were referring to Omar's in Hibbing?

Omar's, used to go in there all the time, was kinda bummed when they closed and sold the place. Grandpa bought all of his stuff there, everything outdoor related.

Omar's, used to go in there all the time, was kinda bummed when they closed and sold the place. Grandpa bought all of his stuff there, everything outdoor related.
The fellow must have been well into his 80's when he closed? I remember driving by there 10 years ago and being surprised he was still open. I never went there but I believe my FIL and his father bought everything from there.

The fellow must have been well into his 80's when he closed? I remember driving by there 10 years ago and being surprised he was still open. I never went there but I believe my FIL and his father bought everything from there.

He went skydiving for his birthday when he was 78 or 80, guy was great to go and chat with.

I split my time between Solon Springs WI and Duluth. I'm happy to work on any saw. Im no pro but I used to work in a power sports shop and have completely rebuilt a number of saws and work on all my own saws. Wouldn't expect pay without results. Let me know!

Back