dumb beginner ran new saw for 2-3 min with brake on...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfphoto

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi group, I'm a complete newbie, and I ran a brand new echo 590 for a few minutes with the brake on. Of course it started to smoke but I was under the impression it was the pre-mix. The wind changed and I smelled burning rubber... I was trying to get the brake off before starting it but I honestly couldn't move it. I called them up and they said it could be very tight but I felt like I was going to snap it off.

I decided to run it as I thought maybe it's a safety issue... So what did I burn up? What should I do, exchange it? I already know I'm really dumb so with that said let me have your thoughts.

Hi group, I'm a complete newbie, and I ran a brand new echo 590 for a few minutes with the brake on. Of course it started to smoke but I was under the impression it was the pre-mix. The wind changed and I smelled burning rubber... I was trying to get the brake off before starting it but I honestly couldn't move it. I called them up and they said it could be very tight but I felt like I was going to snap it off.

I decided to run it as I thought maybe it's a safety issue... So what did I burn up? What should I do, exchange it? I already know I'm really dumb so with that said let me have your thoughts.
Not so dumb fella; I’m sure that you have a field that you are a legend in; many of us would prob make a similar newb mistake in your field and then feel pretty stupid. Well done for owning up to the mistake :dumb:

We’re gonna need pics tho; could be catastrophic may be nothing serious

Don't know if there's rubber, but if it has an inboard clutch, you were probably smelling really hot plastic. Maybe the crank seal is rubber, if that's what you smelled, it's cooked along with the plastic.

Did you leave it on high idle with the brake engaged?

We all make mistakes

That’s burning plastic you smelled, so find out what’s melted and we will go from there. The clutch itself is extremely robust I doubt that’s the issue. There is an Oiler behind it however.

Like everyone else said post some pics, and read sidwells post above me!!

68db54c6-f702-4b03-b0a9-61f1fc9c5b4f-jpeg.660966

As others said we need pics.

I repaired a CS-352 that was operated with the band on. The case was melted around the clutch and needed the whole case. Hopefully yours is not that bad.

Hi everyone, I have been working on putting lye on some floors today I decided since we bought it at the orange box store and they charge full price for basically everything I'm going to return it and chalk it up to lesson learned... I figure I have spent over 10k at the orange box store remodeling my condo I think it's ok...

(sorry echo) I did check out the stihl but for 200 more I just couldn't say yes...

BTW. the customer service didn't mention any of this meaning not running it with the brake on so Thank you to all who responded, I think I need some safety gear for this thing very different than my 14" electric I used in Los Angeles...

Hi everyone, I have been working on putting lye on some floors today I decided since we bought it at the orange box store and they charge full price for basically everything I'm going to return it and chalk it up to lesson learned... I figure I have spent over 10k at the orange box store remodeling my condo I think it's ok...

(sorry echo) I did check out the stihl but for 200 more I just couldn't say yes...

BTW. the customer service didn't mention any of this meaning not running it with the brake on so Thank you to all who responded, I think I need some safety gear for this thing very different than my 14" electric I used in Los Angeles...
Wow!!
Don't buy from me on E-bay....

What were you needing a saw for anyways if you live in a condo?

This is wrong in so many ways.

I hope HD laughs at you. :rare2:

I have to agree. OP, if you messed up the saw it was your doing at the end of the day. Not Echos or HDs. A saw at high idle with the chain brake on just sounds wrong. You can tell something is not right.

IMO if there is damage you gotta eat it and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Latest posts

Back