Dumb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
it was mentioned here before that milling with a 2100 the fine saw dust gets through both the pre filter and nylon mesh filter? I been planning on using one 2100 for milling. Why not seal off the air cleaner cavity and run a flex hose higher up on the stand pipe if were using a chainsaw?
When in doubt duct it right, duct tape,,,,,,

Not a dumb question at all. All kinds of vehicles use snorkels to keep the engine breathing from a clean air source. I would try to keep the hose length to a minimum though.

I don’t need to say it but i need to say it.

Re tune carb after the air cleaner mod.

There

I said it.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Adding any sort of a hose a hose will just add to air flow restriction and hence reduce the amount of air which will make the saw run a little richer which is not a problem.
A problem is more likely to arise if you tune the saw with the hose on and then remove the hose for use. Now the saw will be running lean.

From what I have seen, folks with dust problems are running blunt chains or high rakers. The stuff I mill is way harder and hence dustier than anything you guys in NA are milling and I have never had a dust problem. The most I would do during a milling day is tap out the filler after about every 4 hours uff milling. If you are having a dust problem start with learning about progressive raker settings.

I have a long history and background with dirt bikes racing. A huge problems with bikes going back 60 years was keeping the air going into the engine clean. There are certain kinds of foam with certain types oil that keeps virtually all dust particles out. To this day I grease all intake seams and mating surfaces. When I clean or do any routine maintenance and I see any dirt or saw dust particles I know I am not doing a very good job. I have done all kinds of intake modifications with several of my saws. The end result has almost always a leaner mixture indicating a more efficient filtering. Some paper elements and fiber filters can be oiled. A good thing and bad thing is the element will have to be changed much much more often. There are many ways to supply clean air to the motors and oiling filters is just one way. Thanks

Back