Dumb Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OutDoorLiving2018

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been around saws and cutting wood since I was a pre-teen (lets just say a long time), and I know my way around BUT I have never really experimented with them. When a chain or bar wore out I bought a new exact replacement. Fast forward many years and I know you can change everything around but I think I am over thinking it. Current saw is running a 20" bar with a chain that is .325 .058 76DL (20"). If I wanted to put a smaller bar/chain on this saw how do I know what DL is needed? I know the .325 and .058 stays the same but the DL would have to be less right?

I will have more dumb questions later, I will just keep them one at a time. ;-)

Yes the DL stands for “drive links” and this changes with bar size. Depending on sprocket configuration sometimes you can get one less or more for the bar required.

The drive link count is almost always stamped on the bar itself.

The biggest thing to match is the pitch “distance between rivets” of your sprocket on the saw. Yours is .325 so make sure your new chain is this at the least.

So when you buy your new bar Make sure it’s .325 pitch and 058 gauge. Check the stamping for the drive links and buy a chain in that size, your done.

There are also .325 narrow kerf bars and chains, and yes they do need to match for it to work properly (NK bar + chain). Narrow kerf is just what it says, a narrower kerf between the furthest tips (cutting corner) of the left and right cutting top plates.

Goofaro has a good point, bar and chain combos are gaurenteed to work as long as you get one that is .325

Walk into the dealer, head over to the bar display rack- pick the .325/0.058 bar you want for your new length and the drive link length will be stamped/printed right there on the bar- or on the packaging.
Better yet, slap the bar on the counter and say "I want a couple of chain loops made to fit", then to show you are not just the average backyard saw owner, quote them the saw make & model numbers along with the size of the drive sprocket.

(EDIT: Brent just beat me to it :))

Nice scenery, small country, very little gun control. Suppressors welcome, weather is excellent. Dense forests with the remote possibility of seeing a Tasmanian tiger haha.
It reminds me of a new frontier is all.

Work is pretty bad here right now, our politics in the shitter, so thus the quote ;)

What size bar next? If you have a 20” bar and your going smaller what size 16” or 18”. I like my 240 sg husky with a 16” bar. My 266se had a 18”/20” bars, my 2100 had a 24” bars. I didn’t need longer bars till the big wood at the saw mill.

Nice scenery, small country, very little gun control. Suppressors welcome, weather is excellent. Dense forests with the remote possibility of seeing a Tasmanian tiger haha.
It reminds me of a new frontier is all.

Work is pretty bad here right now, our politics in the shitter, so thus the quote ;)

Nice = yep. Small= yep.
Very little gun control? Yeah no we fail that one- we just had to hand in all semi automatic centrefires on a buy back scheme, handguns are very restricted and you cannot hunt with them. Military style semi autos have been banned for about 20+ years.
But yep, suppressors are still okay.
Small Island nation with not much between it an Antarctica..... weather can be dodgy, depending on which part you are in.
Dense native forests, yes- but you cannot touch any of it with a chainsaw.
Chances of seeing a Tassie Tiger are pretty bloody remote alright- Tassie is NOT part of NZ.

You are a bit late to claim us as a new frontier- Brits have been there and done that.
Politics suck no matter where you live!

Still want to come over?

I'd say we still got it pretty good down here really pretty good healthcare plenty jobs around lots of quick access to wilderness. It's like the whole usa crammed into 1 place. Deserts, beaches,Bush, lakes, snow, mountains, great selection of cars, what's not too love about it. The rest is same **** everywhere

I'd say we still got it pretty good down here really pretty good healthcare plenty jobs around lots of quick access to wilderness. It's like the whole usa crammed into 1 place. Deserts, beaches,Bush, lakes, snow, mountains, great selection of cars, what's not too love about it. The rest is same **** everywhere
Shhhhhh! Don't tell them all the truth!
Here was me trying to make it sound less appealing....... don't need them all bolting over here! ;):ices_rofl:

Nice = yep. Small= yep.
Very little gun control? Yeah no we fail that one- we just had to hand in all semi automatic centrefires on a buy back scheme, handguns are very restricted and you cannot hunt with them. Military style semi autos have been banned for about 20+ years.
But yep, suppressors are still okay.
Small Island nation with not much between it an Antarctica..... weather can be dodgy, depending on which part you are in.
Dense native forests, yes- but you cannot touch any of it with a chainsaw.
Chances of seeing a Tassie Tiger are pretty bloody remote alright- Tassie is NOT part of NZ.

You are a bit late to claim us as a new frontier- Brits have been there and done that.
Politics suck no matter where you live!

Still want to come over?
no I don’t... ;)
I’m sorry I meant no offence To you not knowing my geography. Thx for the post!

What size bar next? If you have a 20” bar and your going smaller what size 16” or 18”. I like my 240 sg husky with a 16” bar. My 266se had a 18”/20” bars, my 2100 had a 24” bars. I didn’t need longer bars till the big wood at the saw mill.

Running a 20" now but want to drop it down to a 18"

Ok I will ask, Why?

I want to live there too. Was there about this time last year. They have more sheep than people. Since many people are ..... less than stellar examples of what humanity should be ..... I liked the sheep-to-people ratio in New Zealand.

New Zealanders are amazing. And their islands are gorgeous!

Back