Dump trailer. Scissor lift or multi stage cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two Pequea dumps, one 5000 and one 10,000 pound. The 10K is new this year. They offer what they call a 4 way gate. It will hinge down to dump, or hinge up with a set chains to spread gravel, or swing doors, or take off. When I went to order mine, covid had kicked in and they said it would be 8 weeks before they started. I found one on a lot in PA with a solid, hinged at top and bottom gate. I wanted the 5 foot drive on ramp for my FEL. While I was at the dealers, he mentioned they were only 20 miles from the factory. I had him call and see if they had the ramp in stock, so, $900 later I had both gates. My only problem was what to do with the short gate during mowing season when the ramp was on. I had to take off the two brackets for the short gate, to put the ramp on. Turned out I could bolt those two brackets to PY 2X4's and mount it in the front standard pockets. Now I have a big solid head board to stack wood against. Both of these are scissor, and I love them. The first pic is as bought. With the tailgate mounted as a head board, I can let it down to use as a work bench, or to let long stuff stick out, or I can hinge it up to let a cable through to winch stuff on. Really happy the way it turned out.
QnLM9Bf.jpg

Evw2i7b.jpg

srA0c0L.jpg

0eXmvbh.jpg

Before I had my dump truck I borrowed a 16’ dump trailer from a friend to make the kids a sand box at a new house. While I had it I hauled off 2 loads of crap from around the house. On the final load I didn’t latch back the barn doors and dumped in my grandmas dump pit. I needed to pull foreward to get everything out and I ripped one of the doors off. Your right good hinge attached to very thin tube. This friend is picky and this trailer was very nice. So I took it to the trailer shop so it would look perfect. $800 later I’m out. It was 100% my fault, but it was way too easy to do. IMO they built them for occasional use and not to make a living with. Dump it once or twice a day. I bet I’ve dumped my truck over 1000 times in 2020. I accidentally got into my tail gate loading feed with a sky track the other day. No damage
The crew that put my new roof on this spring was using a 16 Ft newer dump trailer to haul off the debris. It had barn doors on it and it had already been to the welding shop to have the barn door mounting redone. The shop had put a heavy tube up both sides of the trailer up high then a piece across the top tying the sides together. It was pretty easy to see as the paint didn't match.

There’s a reason trailer manufacturers provide a way to tie the barn doors back to the trailer sides when you open them. When you tie them back there’s almost no way to hook them on anything that can damage them . Notice I said almost. Some folks can break an anvil.

There’s a reason trailer manufacturers provide a way to tie the barn doors back to the trailer sides when you open them. When you tie them back there’s almost no way to hook them on anything that can damage them . Notice I said almost. Some folks can break an anvil.
The trailer I fixed got broken when dumping stumps. One of the stumps reached over the side, caught the barn door, and tore it off the hinge.

If the manufacturers built that trailer to withstand every possible loading error it would weigh so much it’s payload wouldn’t be worth the purchase price.
That’s true. But you have to admit they are basically built for a homeowner to haul some debris now and then. No way they are “commercial grade” much less made to throw or dump firewood in on the daily. I would kill one every year if that’s what I used. I suspect lots of guys in here do.

That’s true. But you have to admit they are basically built for a homeowner to haul some debris now and then. No way they are “commercial grade” much less made to throw or dump firewood in on the daily. I would kill one every year if that’s what I used. I suspect lots of guys in here do.
They could make them a lot better without a lot of extra cost or weight.

I bought my PJ gn in 2011. I haul 2 cord loads of twelve ft. firewood about 100 days a year. I‘ve never welded anything on the trailer. It’s got 8K oil bath axles and this year I replaced the brake assembly on 1 wheel because the shoe pivot froze and wore out the shoes. I’ve also replaced 1 battery and @ solenoid. Is that what you mean by homeowner?

Some people take good care of their equipment and are careful loading and unloading. I have been loaded by people who will never go near my truck or trailer again.
As was stated above, some people can break an anvil, I'm not sure how, but they can/do. I get a surprising amount done with the little that I have, but I try to be careful and manage forces where possible and that goes a long way. I have seen guys dump logs into brand new trailers and pound the bottoms right out of them, then they gripe about the metal being too thin and want another layer of the same stuff put in.

Please remember that not everyone understands what they are doing. Those are the ones we are talking about.

I bought my PJ gn in 2011. I haul 2 cord loads of twelve ft. firewood about 100 days a year. I‘ve never welded anything on the trailer. It’s got 8K oil bath axles and this year I replaced the brake assembly on 1 wheel because the shoe pivot froze and wore out the shoes. I bought my PJ gn in 2011. I haul 2 cord loads of twelve ft. firewood about 100 days a year. I‘ve never welded anything on the trailer. It’s got 8K oil bath axles and this year I replaced the brake assembly on 1 wheel because the shoe pivot froze and wore out the shoes. I’ve also replaced 1 battery and @ solenoid. Is that what you mean by homeowner?
Sounds pretty tame unless your dropping those logs from 3 Foot above it. But I’m the guy that gets a lot done and runs stuff hard and puts it up wet. I have a long list of stuff that can’t hang with me, but for everything on that bad list I have found something that can hang.
I throw 2’ firewood in mine everyday. May haul a load of cow feed when I’m done 100 days year. I bet I hauled 100 loads of ballast rock this year too. Lots of round bales of hay, several loads of grain to the elevator. I hauled 50 loads of limbs off one big tree job. I even let the box down and then ram the pile in reverse to pack it. My box is 28 years old. It needs rebuilt due to rust mostly. Wood doesn’t slide the best since it’s so beat up and I have to put a good bit of duck tape on it to haul wheat or oats in it. It still holds corn fine. I’ve yet to screw it up, but the one time I borrow a big Tex it cost me 800 in repairs and I was being what I call careful.

Got a deal on a used 6.5 x 12’ 14K trailer. Front cylinder, gravity down. Rear barn door ramps will need replacing with plain doors. Can’t toss wood over them to load from the rear.

First delivery went great except for picking up a screw in a tire coming back. Noticed it was soft the next morning. Did not come with a spare. One is ordered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had both and they both work great. Typically, multi stage cylinders are single acting, so they are gravity down. I find this an advantage as the bed comes down faster than a power down dump. Since it is not power down, you get more dumps per charge which is also an advantage. Some folks really like power down, which can be good for things like dumping partial loads or loading equipment in the trailer.

Power down can be quicker, especially when it's cold.
Also allows to be lowered when there is weight past the hinges (if setup with an overhang)

One of my trucks is gravity down. It takes a couple mins to go down when it's well below zero.

I would think the type of door/tailgate you have would be dependent on how high your sides are. The two dump trailers I have built I use barn doors, sides are only 24" high. I can't imagine trying to dump firewood with a tailgate down, if the sides were 3' or more and the tailgate hinged on top maybe. I haul in 10' lengths or cut to 24" , hardly ever split.

Small independent builder here in Ontario. Cramero

4dd3c1a83135b2ec7fbd645ed79e6b56.jpg
0843aaed94e3cfdda975e018a9579737.jpg

3 years of salty roads have taken a toll on the paint. Other than that, it’s in great shape.
How long does it take to get to full height? I like the looks of that trailer. Any pics of how they attached the fenders? Thanks

Small independent builder here in Ontario. Cramero

4dd3c1a83135b2ec7fbd645ed79e6b56.jpg
0843aaed94e3cfdda975e018a9579737.jpg

3 years of salty roads have taken a toll on the paint. Other than that, it’s in great shape.

How is that plumbed? Is the last section hollow?
Most telescopic cylinders I have seen have the rods going up.

Latest posts

Back