• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Dump trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve heard these 3/4 tons can strain to pull that much weight. How has yours held up?

Mine has held up fine, but I do have some aftermarket goodies that make pulling it loaded more enjoyable.

Airbags for the rear is a very nice addition to have. If you hauling down the highway with a loaded dumptrailer and you are squatting bad in the rear, you are asking for a visit from the Motor Carrier I have worked with the Motor Carriers in Michigan and have seen it before.

Tires - Mine came with a wimpy factory tire size of LT245/75r16 E range. These were only good enough for 3000lb load carrying capacity at 80psi and I know some F250’s had the 235/85r16 that have the same capacity. I upgraded to 275/70r18’s with a tire capacity of 3640lbs per tire or roughly 1200lbs extra for the rear axle.

Brake Controller- Get a good one and don’t skimp out here. It is responsible for engaging those brakes and slowing that 14k lb load down “safely” behind you. My preference is the Tekonsha Prodigy brake p3 controller

Power upgrades - This area is always up for debate, but I have never heard anyone towing something say “I have too much power”. Mine came with 300hp and 500ft lbs of torque and it did an OK job of moving the loads. It does a lot better now though with an 80rwhp and close to 200ft lbs of torque over stock EFI live tune.

20170921_112349.jpg I purchased a Load Trail this summer. 16' 21k gooseneck. triple axle. The reason for the triple axle is that it is very easy to overload tandems. The tongue weight with a tandem will be more than expected with a load, so using a weight distribution hitch would be a wise decision. You will hear people say that Load Trail and PJ are the same, they are close but are not. there are small differences. On the Load Trail the bedside reenforcement is bent into the bedside, the PJ is welded on in a few places, and a seam that will let water get behind it. Load Trail welds the whole seam in the bottom of the bed, PJ every so often. I do tow this trailer with a 2000 f250 and 2017 f350 dually.

Get a gooseneck and figure out where to store it. I've used 7x14 bumper pull and left the quarry at 26,xxx lbs hooked to a 3500 SRW ram. It did ok but a gooseneck makes turning and rides way better

With the gooseneck the truck will carry the load much better. Do yourself with what ever you end up with, get a wireless remote. They should be standard issue. I use to borrow a friends 12' 14k bumper pull dump, Becks Legend trailer, 2 ton empty, add 6 ton stone, not even full bed. It was a wild ride because of the weight transfer off the front, gooseneck puts weight in front of rear axle, transferring to the front.

Let me preface this by saying I like my trailers to carry the weight of a load.

Keep in mind that as the length of a trailer increases, the percentage of the load placed on the ball increases on a progressive scale because the axles are getting farther away from the ball. If we go by the 15% rule, a 14,000 pound trailer should have 2100 pounds on the ball. My 2500 RAM is rated at 1800 pounds on the ball and its a Class 5 receiver. With a 14' bumper pull trailer, it IS NOT difficult to overload the tongue due to the proximity of the axles in relation to the coupler. But with a gooseneck, your pin weight can be equal to the payload of the axles. IIRC, mine would be 3300 pounds, or there abouts.

All that being said, and recognizing your space restraints.... I wouldn't consider the tongue weight a problem, its simply something to keep in mind as the trailer length increases. I was never dissatisfied with the performance of my 14' dump trailer. I once scaled out of a pit with ground asphalt at just over 26,000 pounds. Truck pulled it, trailer dumped it.

The only reason I went with 14' was to get my tractor in it. Aside from that stipulation, I would have opted for a 12'. But even after buying, I consistently kicked myself for not getting a gooseneck. Dump trailers, by design, carry alot of weight on the ball. Just keep that in mind.

And take all this with a grain of salt. I tend to over analyze things like this.

I know this is a little old and I should probably put this to bed, but I had one last question. I really can’t see myself getting a gooseneck. Between storage and moving around the country, it will be too much of a hassle. That said, I agree that my tongue weight will be too much for my 01 f250 with a 14 footer. I would be willing to step down to a 12x7. Would tongue weight still be a problem then? It would make storage even easier and be a little softer on the check book. To me it looks like it cuts 2ft off the front rather than the back, which makes me think that tongue weight would be significantly less. What do you think?
Sorry if I’m exhausting this topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back