Dump Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something that may or may not be worth consideration is that hauling a load of grain to the elevator (agricultural endeavor) may be much different than gaining firewood (commercial enterprise) in the eyes of the revenue agents who pulled you over, if you should be found to be overloaded.

If the DOT pulls you over, they are going to weigh the truck at each axle. With 2 cords of green wood, the truck is going to be over weight on the rear axle. It wont matter is the truck is at or less than the gvwr, Gvwr is a combination of the front axle as well as the rear axle, but each axle also has to be within a certain weight limit. Cant have a gvwr of 500 lbs and have 400lbs on the rear and 100 lbs on the front and consider that legal. Some states vary on axle weight and what is allowed. Lenght of wheel base plays a part as well. Growing up we used 1 ton fords with 12 foot beds and hauled a lot of hand loaded 5ft pulpwood. 1 1/2 cords was a monster of a load on one of those truck. Loads usually ran from 1 cord to 1 1/4. We would get about $20-$30 for a load. Of course back then gas was .30 cents a gallon too.

I've been looking for a firewood truck. Everything around me seems to be a POS or they want a fortune for. I started looking at the older medium duty trucks like the C40 through C60 series trucks because some are in better shape but sell for way less than a 1 ton. I came across this C40 that has a 350 and a 2 speed rear end. It also has a hydraulic dump and a hoist with a hydraulic lift ram. The dump and hoist seem to be powered by a stand alone hydraulic system and engine. The body is in killer shape. I'm calling him tonight to discuss. It's a 1970 C40. I hope it has power brakes and power steering. Hopefully they are disk in the front.
View attachment 727564 View attachment 727559 View attachment 727563 View attachment 727565 View attachment 727561 View attachment 727560
View attachment 727562

Power steering is overrated in those once you are moving or the rear is loaded.

Don’t let that be a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Police seem to pull over older trucks more than new ones has been my experience! Just sayin! You do a lot of highways?
No, I would stick to 2 lane roads.

Just talked with the guy, it does not have a split rear end and no power steering or power brakes. The dump hydraulics are pto driven and the little pony motor is just for the hydraulic hoist. He sounds firm on the price, $5K. Its turn key with new tires and brakes were all gone through recently for inspection. Nice truck but for $5K I could get a dump trailer... lots to consider.

I didn't realize that it was not a duallie until looking at the pic better. Did that truck used to be a pickup that someone converted? Or was it a cab and chassis? The C&C trucks are usually setup to haul weight better as it's expected it will be outfitted with something like a flat bed, dump bed, service body, etc (all heavy stuff).

We have a 97 F350 C&C with a 12ft bed and also a 99 pickup F350 with tin can bed. The C&C has easily double the springs on the rear.

With the bed only being 10ft, that means if the wood is 16" and not anything over and you stack it well, you should be able to get 7 rows in it.

I'm guessing it's 7.75ft wide, though I may be off on that.

If you want to haul 2 orders of a cord each with a divider, you'll need to be 3 rows for each, so that will mean the sides will need to be about 50" tall.

If you haul 2 cords together, not divided, then the sides would be down to about 42"

1 cord, the sides around 21" tall... looks to be about what they are?

If it's a good deal, hauling 1 cord is better than hauling no cords right?

I've been looking for a firewood truck. Everything around me seems to be a POS or they want a fortune for. I started looking at the older medium duty trucks like the C40 through C60 series trucks because some are in better shape but sell for way less than a 1 ton. I came across this C40 that has a 350 and a 2 speed rear end. It also has a hydraulic dump and a hoist with a hydraulic lift ram. The dump and hoist seem to be powered by a stand alone hydraulic system and engine. The body is in killer shape. I'm calling him tonight to discuss. It's a 1970 C40. I hope it has power brakes and power steering. Hopefully they are disk in the front.
View attachment 727564 View attachment 727559 View attachment 727563 View attachment 727565 View attachment 727561 View attachment 727560
View attachment 727562
That truck has style! Nice

I didn't realize that it was not a duallie until looking at the pic better.

If it's a good deal, hauling 1 cord is better than hauling no cords right?

It’s a dually, someone just stuck some 33x12.5 mud tires under it. It’s a wide axle with long studs. Yea lots of springs on the packs. It has a V on the hood that’s the same color as the bed so I’m thinking it was bought new with the bed on it.

I don’t have time to ever haul 1 cord around so I’d say hauling one is a waste of my time. I need two to make $$$$ 3 is better but I have a trailer for that too.

There’s one big discrepancy from us southerners to you northerners and that’s the cord measurement. Around here it’s 4’ tall and 16’ long 18-20” long pieces, 2’ if requested that way. Not the 3 face cords you guys sell as a cord. Most wood yards around sell a stack about 3.5 tall and 16 long and 16 deep as a “cord”

It’s a dually, someone just stuck some 33x12.5 mud tires under it. It’s a wide axle with long studs. Yea lots of springs on the packs. It has a V on the hood that’s the same color as the bed so I’m thinking it was bought new with the bed on it.

I don’t have time to ever haul 1 cord around so I’d say hauling one is a waste of my time. I need two to make $$$$ 3 is better but I have a trailer for that too.

There’s one big discrepancy from us southerners to you northerners and that’s the cord measurement. Around here it’s 4’ tall and 16’ long 18-20” long pieces, 2’ if requested that way. Not the 3 face cords you guys sell as a cord. Most wood yards around sell a stack about 3.5 tall and 16 long and 16 deep as a “cord”

A cord is 128 cu ft of well stacked wood. Anything other than that isn't a cord. Has nothing to do with north vs south, it's a black and white measurement, no different then a gallon of water or 50lbs of dog food.

A stack of wood 4' x 16' x 1.5' is 96 cu ft, or 3/4 of a cord. With 20" lengths it's about 106 cu ft, or .8 of a cord.

Sounds like you can do pretty well if you sell cords of wood and don't cheat people on "cords" of wood.

N
I'll play . Heres a before an after pick
066b41cdb5bd23699a02e00005ba474f.jpg
cfb6309605de958746f9e2c219f104cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Nice as well! 95?

I know, I like it. I wish it wasnt over 3 hours away. I also wish it had power steering and brakes.

The power brake systems on those are hydrovac and are kind of a pain to work on, or find parts for.

Also most of those trucks ran 20" wheels, which are hard to find tires for. Around here they have to be ordered in and are $$$$. Everything runs 22.5s or 24.5s

I have been using a 1967 C60 for over 30 years and have yet to have a problem that stopped me. I did spin a bearing about 20 miles from home with about 30,000 lbs of Oak on it and trailer. I had my helper bring down a pickup and we delivered all the wood in truck and trailer. Then I went and got a cherry picker and changed motors. The cab is generous so sleeping was very normal. Luck was good since I was about 300' from a small store. I went way out of my way to get a cab over because here the mountain roads are very narrow and tight.

Since wood is a agriculture item there are some margins of error when hauling, but of course there are limitations to what you can get away with. Your log book better look nice and tidy when stopped. I can get a lot done with with 30,000 or 35,000 lb tags. The biggest problem is hauling 30,000 lb from 2,500 feet to 6,000 feet in just 12 miles on a hot day. I have been using a carburetor medium duty 390. Thanks

The power brake systems on those are hydrovac and are kind of a pain to work on, or find parts for.

Also most of those trucks ran 20" wheels, which are hard to find tires for. Around here they have to be ordered in and are $$$$. Everything runs 22.5s or 24.5s

Giga Tires has 900 x 20 or 1000 x 20 tires delivered to your door steps for $200 each. I do not remember if they are traction or highway, but $200 a tire is very reasonable. Thanks

Brakes are mechanical on this and are drums on front. Good to know about the tire size.

A cord is 128 cu ft of well stacked wood. Anything other than that isn't a cord. Has nothing to do with north vs south, it's a black and white measurement, no different then a gallon of water or 50lbs of dog food.

A stack of wood 4' x 16' x 1.5' is 96 cu ft, or 3/4 of a cord. With 20" lengths it's about 106 cu ft, or .8 of a cord.

Sounds like you can do pretty well if you sell cords of wood and don't cheat people on "cords" of wood.
I can’t do anything about the terminology of Texas firewood. that’s just how it is plain and simple. I deliver atleast as much as folks who burn lots of wood expect when they call for a “cord” . When I hauled to the big yards on the cap they had posts in the ground 4’ tall or less and 16’ long. Folks build their wood racks 4’ tall and 8 or 16 long. My stack size is always listed in any advertisement I do. I’ll gladly cut it 2’ long if someone can handle it, I sell several of those a year. Can you buy 3/4 cord or whatever of hardwood delivered and stacked for $175? Right or wrong I can’t sell wood based on any other measurement without mass confusion. It’s hard enough to compete with the other guys around here who’s stacks are 3.5 tall and 16 long if that when I have extra wood not sold to regulars.

Well tell me what a 2x4 actually measures out to? I aint saying you are wrong at all . But why is this?

Latest posts

Back