Dump Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Who uses a dump truck to haul wood? My uncle bought a seed wheat truck at an auction for pretty cheap. He says he will sell it to me if I want it. It’s a 92 f350 gas motor. Has PTO hydraulic pump on it with remotes as well. Truck is nice, bed will need modified for the wood. Let’s see your pics of dump trucks. I’m thinking about doing some fold down sides. However tall they need to be for 2 cords to fit on it. Put a divider between the cords so I can dump them one at a time.

I’m thinking more than 2 will overload the poor thing. But hey the bed is currently big enough to hold 6000lb or so of wheat.

You need to post a picture too. I dont have a dump. This is all i got so here is my picture.

3ac60eb5a3e919282a84c517bbce326c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1979 f350 with a 400m auto... 7'x10x3.75 bed/racks. 2 tool side boxes 24" and a 48" holds 3 saws, maul, axes, binders/come along... and the 24" tools, gas, oil wedges and such. tough old basterd! rusty and trusty 70,000 on the clock.

Attachments

• IMG_7116.JPG
    IMG_7116.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7110.JPG
    IMG_7110.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
If you go by the book, a cord is pushing it on a 1 ton. 2 cords is doable, but the brakes and clutch won't be too happy.
Actually by the book a cord is about maxing out most F450s.

I'd check what those "big mud tires" are, they may not be able to handle 5 tons of wood.

If you do decide to haul 2 cords, unless that bed is really sturdy, I would not put a divider, having ~2.5 tons up in the air isn't something I'd want to do. Wouldn't take much of a slope to tip the truck.

I've thought of doing it, but it's been only a handful of times in ~7 years that it worked out for me that I was able to line up 2 1 cord deliveries one after the other that were a bit of a drive out.
In those cases, I just tossed off the 1st cord and then dumped the 2nd.

Check what the hoist rating is too. I'd recommend a 10 ton hoist if it's a scissor style. Seems like overkill, but those ratings are with ideal bed setup and ideal conditions.. typically trading some dump angle for capacity.

We have several, most are 8x12ft beds, though one is a 14ft.

I was going to say the same thing about the tires.

99% sure they will not handle over 3,500 lbs max. Including truck weight.

Look at the load index NUMBER on the tire and then google it.

You need duals again

I've been looking for a firewood truck. Everything around me seems to be a POS or they want a fortune for. I started looking at the older medium duty trucks like the C40 through C60 series trucks because some are in better shape but sell for way less than a 1 ton. I came across this C40 that has a 350 and a 2 speed rear end. It also has a hydraulic dump and a hoist with a hydraulic lift ram. The dump and hoist seem to be powered by a stand alone hydraulic system and engine. The body is in killer shape. I'm calling him tonight to discuss. It's a 1970 C40. I hope it has power brakes and power steering. Hopefully they are disk in the front.
20190403_063341.jpg received_1476379879168790.jpeg Screenshot_20190402-013315_Facebook.jpg received_328205401378935.jpeg received_575195399646472.jpeg received_2166685206772564.jpeg
Screenshot_20190402-013253_Facebook.jpg

CA12D6BE-0116-432A-B7B7-BAB106FF66D1.jpeg Not the best picture of the truck but it’s an f350. Body is 12’x8’. Holds two cords thrown in loose with the back stacked. I often deliver 2 one cord loads at a time and hand unload the first and dump the second. It’s an electric dump and I’ve lowered the body with some weight in the bed up by the cab but don’t like to. I feel it’s hard on the piston and it’s comes down hard with a bang once it’s all the way down. You should be able to hand unload a cord in 10 minutes.

The tires are actually rated for 3500 and some change. But I do have a pair of duals I’d put on it if I bought the thing.

I’m not sure what the lift capacity is, but the bed can hold somewhere between 125 and 150 bu of wheat so that’s atleast 7,000lb.
2 cords of green mesquite weigh 6400lb but I mostly cut dead trees. So probably 5,000lb is what I’d haul.

This thing is priced cheap to me guys so if it doesn’t work out it should be easy to get my money back out of it. I don’t think the brakes and clutch will have any issue since this thing is made to pull much more weight on a trailer. I’m just wondering if it will drive ok loaded and if I’m going to put some unwanted stress on the rear suspension and frame that it can’t handle.

After seeing yalls I can’t decide if I should build some short permanent sides and stakes for above or leave the sides flat so if I swap to totes I can load them easily.

I’ve had a few f-350s of that vintage as tow trucks. The twin I beam front suspension is heavy duty but they do drive weird if there isn’t enough weight on the front end. As the front end comes up the camber gets all out of whack. With that setup loaded evenly I don’t see a problem with two cords. Although technically according to GVW I bet two tons would be about the max load. I’m sure it will handle more. Such is the downside of the “1 ton dump” I’m sold on the idea of fold down sides. If it’s a PTO pump I would bet it will dump more than the truck can carry, physically or legally.

Man am I jealous of the trucks outside the rust belt. My dad runs an ‘88 ford superduty dump mostly just around the yard. We need to weld something for the seatbelts to attach to. Anything in that age and condition has probably been restored twice around me.

I've been looking for a firewood truck. Everything around me seems to be a POS or they want a fortune for. I started looking at the older medium duty trucks like the C40 through C60 series trucks because some are in better shape but sell for way less than a 1 ton. I came across this C40 that has a 350 and a 2 speed rear end. It also has a hydraulic dump and a hoist with a hydraulic lift ram. The dump and hoist seem to be powered by a stand alone hydraulic system and engine. The body is in killer shape. I'm calling him tonight to discuss. It's a 1970 C40. I hope it has power brakes and power steering. Hopefully they are disk in the front.
View attachment 727564 View attachment 727559 View attachment 727563 View attachment 727565 View attachment 727561 View attachment 727560
View attachment 727562
Police seem to pull over older trucks more than new ones has been my experience! Just sayin! You do a lot of highways?

This truck is in intedibke condition. I don’t know why the bed is so beat up it must have come off something else. The truck has no scratches and one small dent in the passenger door. Interior is perfect also but plane Jane. My uncle is the 2nd owner.

I’m thinking some black paint on the bed after I convert it to do what I want and it will look sharp.
100% true on police stopping junky stuff. This thing will clean up very nice once the bed looks better and it has duals back on it. Around here our police are good common sense folks so overloading it won’t be a problem. They are just looking for safe driving and working lights (safety duh). I’m assuming the AC doesn’t work and that will probably be my first project! Maybe second after cutting the sides off and adding a GN ball.

I’m sorta sad it’s not a diesel, but The gas motor is a lot easier to work on and if it was diesel I couldn’t afford it most likely.

-Just to make a little correction about what a cord of wood weighs. A cord of dry, pine, will weight between 2-3000lbs. A cord of of dry white oak will weight around 4200lbs, but about 5600lbs green and wet. Just estimateing the weight of the ton truck with dump be to be around 10,000 lbs and a 2 cord of green oak at 11,200 lbs that would make the gross weight right at 21,000lbs. Thats a lot for a ton truck, esp since the gvwr on that truck is only around 10,000 lbs. Probably wont be a real problem since it would be hard to stack two full cords of anything on a ton truck with 10ft bed unless the side boards reach a long way above the cab.

-Just to make a little correction about what a cord of wood weighs. A cord of dry, pine, will weight between 2-3000lbs. A cord of of dry white oak will weight around 4200lbs, but about 5600lbs green and wet. Just estimateing the weight of the ton truck with dump be to be around 10,000 lbs and a 2 cord of green oak at 11,200 lbs that would make the gross weight right at 21,000lbs. Thats a lot for a ton truck, esp since the gvwr on that truck is only around 10,000 lbs. Probably wont be a real problem since it would be hard to stack two full cords of anything on a ton truck with 10ft bed unless the side boards reach a long way above the cab.
Best to just put one cord at a time on it!

I’ve had a few f-350s of that vintage as tow trucks. The twin I beam front suspension is heavy duty but they do drive weird if there isn’t enough weight on the front end. As the front end comes up the camber gets all out of whack. With that setup loaded evenly I don’t see a problem with two cords. Although technically according to GVW I bet two tons would be about the max load. I’m sure it will handle more. Such is the downside of the “1 ton dump” I’m sold on the idea of fold down sides. If it’s a PTO pump I would bet it will dump more than the truck can carry, physically or legally.

Man am I jealous of the trucks outside the rust belt. My dad runs an ‘88 ford superduty dump mostly just around the yard. We need to weld something for the seatbelts to attach to. Anything in that age and condition has probably been restored twice around me.

Fluid film is your friend.

Spray once a year and rust will never appear.
That rhymes and it’s the truth[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

My dads got a 79 1 ton grain truck. It has hauled many many loads of wheat. Usually 150 bushels worth. So 9000 pounds.

Back