Dumping the INTENZ on an Echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Quick question for y'all:

Buddy has an Echo CS-3000 with the original Echo-marked bar with the stupid Intenz system going on. The bar has given nothing but trouble from day one. It appears that the saw has the physical provisions for retrofitting a conventional tensioning system, which he would like to do. Is there anything preventing someone from retrofitting the standard tensioning system to an Echo top handle saw that originally came with the Intenz bar? Has anyone done this to favorable results?

Thanks!

Yes, just get the adjuster from your echo dealer, and you can still use the intenz bar,
in the conventional way of course. I did not run into the Intenz guy at the Expo, so he did not kick my ass, Oregon does not attend anymore

I too ran an intenz bar, ONCE, and only once. then I promptly put a tensioner screw and block in, and it was trouble free from there on.

If I got to meet the guy that created intenz bars, I dont think I'd be too nice.

He has been here on this site before, and many gushed/sucked up to him, and accepted his defence/explanation of his Bar/system, ignoring the simple fact that it
SUCKED.
Do a search.

computeruser said:
Buddy has an Echo CS-3000 with the original Echo-marked bar with the stupid Intenz system going on. The bar has given nothing but trouble from day one.

Does the Echo saw stud still have a shoulder that has a larger diameter than the rest of the stud????

FISH,
What show did you go to????

Oregon Engineer said:
Does the Echo saw stud still have a shoulder that has a larger diameter than the rest of the stud????

Yup, sure does, so that isn't the problem. The problem is with the bar - intenz is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I understand the consumer appeal to the feature and in that market, for the guy who is new to saws and only trims a few branches per year, it is fine. And it distinguishes Echo products (as they're the only ones I've seen offering this feature on new saws) from other less expensive products when they are sold at big box stores.

But I think it safe to say that serious users really don't seem to see any benefit coming from this feature and frequently find it quite an annoyance in that they have to go to the effort of getting a proper tensioning system installed in a saw where it should have been in the first place.

The Lawn and Garden Expo in Louisville. Oregon does not attend it {luckily}.
In the Silver Streak days, I used to chum it up with the lads.
But these Oregon dudes have no sense of humor.

computeruser said:
And it distinguishes Echo products (as they're the only ones I've seen offering this feature on new saws)
Not quite true, I saw poulans with their bars marked as poulan pro models with an intenz bar on them once or twice at lowes.

Regarding the saw stud with a shoulder, the following is taken from a previous thread on using Intenz on Echo saws.

"The problems you discuss sound like they stem from two areas. One is the shoulder on the Echo saw studs. The shoulders make it difficult to correctly position the "rack" (the internal part that pushes on the stud) on the stud. The rack usually slips over the shoulder onto the threaded portion of the stud. When the saw cover is put on it is cocked and does not properly seal the bar to the saw pad, oil leaks and the bar slips. Echo had agreed to change the saw stud by removing the shoulder for saws using the Intenz bars. I can see by this thread and several new Echo saws (just checked them out after seeing your comments) in our test lab that they have not followed through with the change. I asked our OEM manager to discuss this during the next meeting with Echo. Thanks for the input.

The second issue is the click that you feel as you tension the chain. You do not have to stop the tenioning on a click. Sometimes the clicks are too far apart and you either get the chain too tight or too loose. The rack and pinion system inside the bar has a special feature you can not see. There is a "Wedge Lock" feature that lets you stop between clicks and the tension will remain on the chain so you can secure the stud nuts. Check out the inside of the Intenz bars at: http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/Bars...BarsF_B0601.pdf"

How old is the saw?

Latest posts

Back