Dying Pine Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCoffin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Bought my house 2 years ago and hard to tell if this tree has regressed or stayed the same. Either way it's about half green half dead. Anything to do to help bring it back? Pruning? Or is there something inside it killing it off? Not a big deal if I have to remove it. I'll plant another tree in its place. Also the north side is the bad side and we get plenty of cold northeast wind all winter. Could just be the species but a patch of firs are in front of it and are healthy as can be.IMG_3440.JPG

I have a large pine that does the same thing every year or two. Diplodia blight gets my vote. I'd inject with Alamo or another Propiconazole product. Increase water in the dry months. I can't on mine because it's in the middle of a horse pasture.

I have a large pine that does the same thing every year or two. Diplodia blight gets my vote. I'd inject with Alamo or another Propiconazole product. Increase water in the dry months. I can't on mine because it's in the middle of a horse pasture.
Pine beetles might also be the culprit, look at the base of the branches for any frass or gummy sap excretions. Pines get about 5 different beetles that are attracted to it.

Its defiantly not MPB. By the looks of the abnormal branch growth, It appears ti me that its 'mistletoe.
Look carefully at the branches and you will see swollen areas with a plant like growth coming out.

Thanks for the replies, what's the best way to battle this stuff. Or is it even worth the fight? Like I said I don't mind removing it if I have to. If it continues to get worse how quickly do you think it will? Within 5 years or much more?

Pines go through a cycle every so often where as much of the tree looks dead or dying and then slowly starts to shed dead clusters of needles replacing with hearty green growth. If there is no sign of any beetles at the base then the chances are that it will be fine. It does not appear that it is being overcome with drought. Or it could be over come with one or more types of disease. Some types of ailments are easy to treat with chemical and some not so much. Watch it for awhile and see if any pattern develops such as constant flow of ants. Thanks

Back