Dying tree???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyanna

Reaction score
We have a beautiful tree in the front of our house, that I fear is dying. I don't know what kind of tree it is, but looking at different websites, I've narrowed it down to a type of Poplar tree. It also resembles the London Planetree, but not with drooping leaves. It sheds annually and before the leaves bloom, there are little spikey balls that are on the branches.

However, this year I've noticed that the leaves are dying (turning brown and crunchy) and falling off -- which normally doesn't happen until fall. My neighbor has the same tree, but his is smaller and there definitely is a difference in the trees' appearances. His leaves are full, green and healthy looking -- my tree doesn't have that healthy appearance. Also, the roots closest to the base of the tree started exposing themselves last year. I didn't pay too much attention to that, since I thought it was from cutting my grass too short. Could that be the reason why our tree looks sick/diseased? Can I do anything to save it?

Usually, when roots start too come above ground its because of too much water. This is probably the same reason that the leaves are turning brown also. The roots are coming up for air. If it is a poplar. They are a short lived tree anyway. I still would say too much water is the problem.
Darin

IF, and I stress IF you are in a southern climate, it could be a Sycamore or Sweet Gum. From what little I can gather from your post, root girdling sounds like a possible cause. Whether or not the tree can be saved depends on many variables, such as how long since the tree was planted, how far gone the tree is, etc. Your best course of action is to get a qualified Arborist out ASAP to look at the tree and take it from there. International Society of Arborists and National Arborist Association both have locator services on their websites to give you names of some qualified arborists in your area. Darin, do you have the links handy?

Wow -- you guys are speedy in your replies -- that's great!

Thanks for the info.

Darin -- You could be right with the tree getting too much water. Ever since our auto sprinklers stopped working (for unknown reason), we've had to hook up a regular sprinkler and sometimes we would leave it on for a couple of hours because we forgot about it.

Tree -- I live in Northern California, so I'm not sure if your response still applies. I will take your advise and have someone look at it, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks again!

Back