Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

EAB reaches Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Plant Health' started by glennschumann, Aug 5, 2008.

1. R2D

R2D North pole greens keeper

It was out of Michigan state university. Still it says exactly what you and I have said, no proof of larvae survival on any other tree.

2. Marine5068

Marine5068 Addicted to ArboristSite

Southern Ontario/ metro Toronto area has destroyed over 100,000 Ash trees that were infected with E.A.B.
    From what I've read there really is no foreseeable way to stop the insect short of developing new sub-species of Ash that are not prone to attack. Scientists are working on it now.

3. blades

blades Addicted to ArboristSite

eab is only one, Long horned is not species specific an poses an even greater threat.

4. ATH

ATH Addicted to ArboristSite

But it hasn't played out that way. EAB has not been stopped - or even slowed for that matter. There are several spots where ALB has been successfully eradicated, and more where the battle against it is on the way to being won. It doesn't kill the tree as quickly so it doesn't need to go looking for new hosts. It does not fly as well so it can't spread as quickly on its own.

The only way it is a "greater" threat is the longer list of species it attacks...otherwise it has been proven a lesser threat - but not a threat to be ignored or dealt with lightly! In fact, I think ALB deserves a more aggressive wide scale program than EAB because those programs work for ALB where they have failed for EAB.

Jason Douglas and blades like this.
  5. Jason Douglas

Jason Douglas ArboristSite Operative

Agreed on the ALB point. That dude could be super devastating.
    I'm in Columbus Ohio where EAB hit pretty early in the game and generally speaking, the lone survivors have been treated with emmamectin or are very very isolated.

6. Tom Crosthwaite

Tom Crosthwaite ArboristSite Lurker

Wow sorry to hear of these problems over there, it must be very devastating, I hope the budget allows for a solution soon that allows for affected tree removal, although I'm not sure if that would solve the problem. I'm glad we don't have these problems in Australia, we have enough tricky tree removal problems on the Sunshine Coast in Australia http://trickytreesolutions.com/