Early Failure - Zama Metering Diaphragm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had been noticing the smell of gasoline while working in the garage. Last week I decided to do the last mowing and trimming of the season. When I wen to start my FS85 weed trimmer It wouldn't run properly. Would only run pig rich at WOT and stall at idle and wouldn't restart until it cooled off.

Carb failed the fuel input line pressure test. At first I suspected something stuck in the needle valve. When I tore into it I found that the metering diaphragm was stiff as cardboard! Problem found.

However, this was a relatively new carb only a year or 2 old. The carb is a Zama C1Q-S157. I only use ethanol free fuel and drain the machine and run it dry over the winter storage. All of my other 2-stroke saws and tools have been using the same fuel without issues.

This appears to be a Zama materials / quality issue. Has anyone else seen early failures on replacement Zama carbs?

My '98 JRed 2065 has a Zama. No issues with it. It handles a 75cc big bore fine.
I don't know if they've downgraded quality for better profits, as all companies seem to be doing lately.
Are you using ethanol gas? That can really mess up small carbs.... and everything they're bolted to.

I don't know if they've downgraded quality for better profits, as all companies seem to be doing lately.
Are you using ethanol gas? That can really mess up small carbs.... and everything they're bolted to.
E-Free as noted in original post.

This appears to be a Zama materials / quality issue.

That C1Q-S157 carburetor was introduced in 2009. At that time the material of the diaphragms was not already changed as far as I now. The pump piston with it`s components was changed on that carburetor and the sealing ring of the accelerator pump was made of NBR (neoprene) now.

There was a change in the material of the metering diaphragm in 2016. For example: The material for the metering diaphragm on Zama C1Q carburetors used on the MS 271, 291 was changed. I also think this change is valid for other models from that date on.

That C1Q-S157 carburetor was introduced in 2009. At that time the material of the diaphragms was not already changed as far as I now. The pump piston with it`s components was changed on that carburetor and the sealing ring of the accelerator pump was made of NBR (neoprene) now.

There was a change in the material of the metering diaphragm in 2016. For example: The material for the metering diaphragm on Zama C1Q carburetors used on the MS 271, 291 was changed. I also think this change is valid for other models from that date on.

Thanks for the info. I suspect that this is a post 2016 carb. Is there any way to know by looking at the old diaphragm? In any case I am using E-Free gas so it really ashouldn't matter. I was just really surprised to have one die so young after being properly cared for. Makes me suspicious that Zama doesn't have a good handle on their supply chain.

It is quite possible that the fuel you were using last maybe had ethanol in it. I know it dries nylon/rubber fast when sitting.
Did the fuel come out of a can or was it at the pump?

I only ask cause gas stations that used to be ethanol free seem to be converting without informing their customers.
I have used quite a few zama based carbs and have not seen this happen in just one season with my equipment.

It is quite possible that the fuel you were using last maybe had ethanol in it. I know it dries nylon/rubber fast when sitting.
Did the fuel come out of a can or was it at the pump? I only ask cause gas stations that used to be ethanol free seem to be converting without informing their customers.

The fuel came out of a dedicated E-Free dispenser at a local gas station. It should have been E-free. Of course, there is nothing to stop the distributor from dropping the wrong product into the wrong underground tank. Haven't had this issue with any of my other equipment either (yet?).

I have used quite a few zama based carbs and have not seen this happen in just one season with my equipment.

I haven't either so I thought that I would ask.

Back