Early Homelite xl-12 Serial Number

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collegiate Chainsaw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought an early Homelite xl-12. It seems to have all of the early features. The brass fuel line with a wick, idle screw mounted directly on the carb, black lettering, early front handle with a square mounting, only two screw mounts for the muffler, and a metal air filter knob.

What it doesn't have is the steel starter sleeve with a "knob" on the starter housing, but the serial number is lower than any saw that I have seen with the early starter.

The serial number is 1501176. I am curious how low the serial numbers go on the xl-12. If anyone has an early model I would appreciate any feedback you may have.

I don't think Homelite started their serial numbers at one. What I have found is that their numbers just continually increased through the years regardless of the model of the saw. I'll explain what I mean.
These are the models that I have and the serial numbers. 1954 model 17-serial 499000ish, 1956 Model EZ-serial 600000ish, 1961 600d- serial 1200000ish, 1963 770d- serial 1412000ish, 1964 xl12- serial 1500000. I don't know the method to their maddness, but the numbers continue to increase through the years regardless of the model. I am just curious how low the serial numbers on the xl-12 go. Mine is the lowest that I have seen.

I just bought an early Homelite xl-12. It seems to have all of the early features. The brass fuel line with a wick, idle screw mounted directly on the carb, black lettering, early front handle with a square mounting, only two screw mounts for the muffler, and a metal air filter knob.

What it doesn't have is the steel starter sleeve with a "knob" on the starter housing, but the serial number is lower than any saw that I have seen with the early starter.

The serial number is 1501176. I am curious how low the serial numbers go on the xl-12. If anyone has an early model I would appreciate any feedback you may have.
What color/colors is it?

Ray, that memo doesn't apply to 7 digit serial numbers. Homelite kinda left us in the dark decoding 7 ( and 6) digit serial numbers.

Collegiate
I have told this story on different forums about our history with Homelite, If you have read it before I'm sorry..
We were Homelite dealers from 1951 to 2004. Our Homelite representative from Cincinnati (Fats Herbert) visited us in August 1963., He had a promo saw with him XL-12. He demonstrated the saw and my husband gave him an offer. If they could deliver 50 units to us by Oct l, 1963 we would take 50. But take one off of 50 everyday after that. On Oct. 6, I went to the branch in Cincinnati in our Buick station wagon and brought 45 XL-12 Homelite saws. We had to take some of them out of the box to get them in the vehicle. The serial numbers on these saw began with1501407 to 1501456. They were all the wick type gas tanks. I think I must have replaced the wick style with the later line and filter assembly on most of these saws, plus several sold by surrounding dealers. I have never heard of a serial number below any of the ones in our supply until now. In the years we were dealers, we sold approximately 5000 new Homelite saws plus a few Pioneer and Poulan. I am still selling new Homelite parts from requlests on the forums.
chainsawlady

Wow, thanks for the information chainsawlady. I didn't realize the xl-12 was going out in 1963. Here's the serail number plate, I guess I remembered it wrong in the first post.

IMG_1455[1].JPG

So it has been confirmed that the 7 digit serial numbers and below have no information available. I would like to know what you guys think of my theory that the numbers kept increasing through the years. That is what I have found to be true, but I don't know if Homelite did that intentionally.

Here's the starter cover on the saw. chainsawlady, did those saws from 1963 have the "knob" in the starter cover, because this one does not.IMG_1456[1].JPG

The earliest XL12 serial# that I know of are the ones listed in the Jan/Feb 1964 issue of Sawdust Newsletter under stolen saws. These newsletters came from the chainsawlady. You can read more about the Sawdust newsletters here
http://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/thread/5303/homelite-sawdust-newsletter#ixzz4TV48CvlJ

On early Homelite serial numbers in general, the numbers did seem to steadily climb over the years regardless of the model. 6 digit serial numbers were used till about 1960, 7 digit serial numbers till the 8 digit serial numbers (early 1970's).

janfeb1964.jpg

Wow, there are some very low numbers in there for the xl-12.
What I am trying to do is slowly search the early Homelite models that I can find and keep track of the serial numbers on them. Mike Acres has the years of production for them, which are mostly accurate. I think I can start to associate different serial number ranges with certain years by that system, and maybe I can eventually compile some meaningful information for those early serial numbers.

I was just looking up the net re an homelite XL12 that I purchased around 1973 in Australia and found this site. I still use the saw today on my property and have never had any problems with it and it still starts with a couple of pulls. The only things i have ever replaced are filters. I still have the parts book that lists all part numbers with exploded drawings. As this post is dated 2017 I thought I would add my serial number as it might interest someone. The saw is stated as type 1008 and serial no is 22231054. Going by other serial numbers they must have made a lot of these saws. Bob, Australia

IMG_3204[1].JPG IMG_3205[1].JPG
Any information related to the following saw that I'm about to restore. UT NO: 10045C SER NO: HI2220588
I used this saw quite a bit from 1989 to 1996 until my neighbor ran over it in the grass with his car.
Bent the handle and muffler a bit. Been in the garage since 1997.

View attachment 701484 View attachment 701485
Any information related to the following saw that I'm about to restore. UT NO: 10045C SER NO: HI2220588
I used this saw quite a bit from 1989 to 1996 until my neighbor ran over it in the grass with his car.
Bent the handle and muffler a bit. Been in the garage since 1997.
Built on production line H, in 1987, on the 222 day of the year, 588 saw built that day.

Tons of parts available for this saw (new and used).

Picked up yesterday, anyone figure out how to date it, I'm guessing early to mid 60s, has wick fuel system

Attachments

• 20190514_063805.jpg
    20190514_063805.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
I have had a XL12 blue model since 1970, purchased it new in Australia, SN22231054. Never had any problems and it always starts with a few pulls, cut a tree up with it yesterday. I am amazed that it is still working after a lot of work in the past 50 years. Apart from filter and spark plug changes it has never been touched. I will look around in Australia to see if I can sell it or pass it on to a person who collects chain saws as after 50 years it deserves a good home. .

Latest posts

Back