Eastern cedar(juniper) boring insect identity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonesforbrains

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
844C08C8-5BD9-43E2-8C89-53C57BDB0D87.jpeg 0D1DF7EA-A7FC-4B2F-9B6F-00162978B9AE.jpeg 266DC9DC-F1BA-4DFC-9917-BB013182AB30.jpeg 844C08C8-5BD9-43E2-8C89-53C57BDB0D87.jpeg I have been cutting eastern red cedar lately for a few projects. I had cut several trees two years ago and had leaned them up against my shed to dry and I just started using them. I used it for a project and cut it in pieces. One of the pieces had a hole in it about in the middle. I cut what I needed and made sure that part of the post was scrap so I could see what made that hole. The hole was at least 3/4” diameter. I split the piece of scrap with a hatchet and it flew apart, I saved the pieces and have photos of how it went together. I would like to know if anyone knows what type of boring insect likes eastern red cedar?

Blackhorned juniper borer.
Thank you Jason, do these insects also like oak if it has been laying and rotting? I have a lot of trees that were damaged 10 years ago before I bought my place and I have a lot of broken tops and trees on the ground. I started cleaning some of the bigger stuff up and split a 36” round and a bunch of black beetles fell out from inside about 4 to 6 inches inside the bark. The wood was pretty much pithy and not worth using in a wood stove. Just wondering about the insect and if I need to be on the look out so I don’t loose any live trees. Thank you again.

No but there are many Longhorns beetles around that like dead or dying wood. They're very large, as are the larvae, hence the large diameter tunneling.

ALB is a well known exotic invasive pest for example.

Latest posts

Back