Eastonmade Wood Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No brand loyalty here. Love to run one of these splitters, with a three foot deep by five foot wide table on each side of the out feed table for resplitting, like airplane wings along side and behind the wedge. Clear the wedge with a second full round and pull the big pieces from the out feed onto the staging tables. That is a two man splitter. Needs a log lift on both sides, a ten gallon fuel tank, a cup holder on each side, and thirty cord of rounds. Jrider may have to upgrade. I've never been a fan of the TW wedge design. This one is nice. Narrow, adjustable, no cylinder in the way. TW's floating four-way wedge often gets lifted and pushed off.

Edit: The wings could be like a sliding table that could be pulled forward next to the beam when the log lift is down.
Owning some Posch product, you may have seen the tray they had welded onto the back edge of the horizontal splitting knives on at least one of their splitter models? If that was set to a standard size of firewood and then a return bar welded off the top of the push plate that does an upside down "U" to pull the wood back into the splitting chamber, much like the Japa 435 does, then that's a pretty neat, low handling way of splitting wood.

I would get the 12 without a doubt and I would pass extra for the 8 way wedge. That splitter could help me reach my goal of 150 cords in a year. Been stuck on 130 each of the last 2 years.

I would get the 12 without a doubt and I would pass extra for the 8 way wedge. That splitter could help me reach my goal of 150 cords in a year. Been stuck on 130 each of the last 2 years.
Do it! I bet it will get you there. The cradle and cycle time alone will get you the extra production. 12-22 full auto cycle place the round in the cradle, pull lever, and get your next piece or round ready to split!

I like the looks of his machine, I cant compare it to any other commercial machine because I havent ever even seen a tw of any size. His 12way wedge is similar in design to the one I am putting on my processor, except I am using a circle instead of the flat bars. Hopefully, mine will work as wells as his seems to. My one concern with his design would be the backbone support he has for the 12way. With the blade always riding high against that backbone, I would fear metal fatigue and breakage sometime in the future. Another thing I noticed on some models is how the base cyl support is just welded to the top of the beam. Twelve way splits takes a lot of force,even if the wings are staggered. I would feel better if that back cyl mount was integrated into the beam instead of just welded to the top flange.

Owning some Posch product, you may have seen the tray they had welded onto the back edge of the horizontal splitting knives on at least one of their splitter models? If that was set to a standard size of firewood and then a return bar welded off the top of the push plate that does an upside down "U" to pull the wood back into the splitting chamber, much like the Japa 435 does, then that's a pretty neat, low handling way of splitting wood.
I have seen what your speaking of with box wedge designs. Not as fast as the Eastonmade one stroke but then there is resplitting time. The box wedge is nice with no resplits and the auto reload bar pulling the round back on detent is tits.

I like the looks of his machine, I cant compare it to any other commercial machine because I havent ever even seen a tw of any size. His 12way wedge is similar in design to the one I am putting on my processor, except I am using a circle instead of the flat bars. Hopefully, mine will work as wells as his seems to. My one concern with his design would be the backbone support he has for the 12way. With the blade always riding high against that backbone, I would fear metal fatigue and breakage sometime in the future. Another thing I noticed on some models is how the base cyl support is just welded to the top of the beam. Twelve way splits takes a lot of force,even if the wings are staggered. I would feel better if that back cyl mount was integrated into the beam instead of just welded to the top flange.
The 12 way is only for the 38-40 splitter which he is still working on. I will faword your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I have seen what your speaking of with box wedge designs. Not as fast as the Eastonmade one stroke but then there is resplitting time. The box wedge is nice with no resplits and the auto reload bar pulling the round back on detent is tits.
He has a box splitting wedge in the makes.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

A lot of it comes down to the design of the machine and the wedge. We run the 4" cylinder at 3000 psi. The wedges are an inch wide at the widest point so it doesnt try and pull the wood apart. The other wings are also staggered so they arent all trying to split at the same time.

heres a video of the box wedge. the wedges just pull in and out. really easy to change.

What is the working height of your beam? I'm 6'2" and won't even consider buying a splitter where I have to spend half my time bent over.

Just a quick bump. Andrew, it's about time someone took the box wedge to the next level - an adjustable open box. Well done. Less trash, less force but still adjustable-sized splits.

That is one nice machine! If I was doing production firewood I would have one of those! I'm glad work wise that I don't have to split mine up quite so small. I cut all of mine 24" and anything under 6" doesn't get split or re split.

Back