Echo 440EVL Crank Play

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskyvarnya Saws

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was searching for an air leak on this Echo today (which I still have not been able to find). After removing the flywheel I noticed there there was a good bit of play back and forth in the crank. Is this normal? Or do I need to split the case and see what is going on? There is no up/down or side to side play at all. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Some saws use roller bearings like a semi floating rear axle in a car or truck. I think a 070 090 use that style. If the shaft only goes in and out and no rubbing is happening in the case I'd say that is how they are

Watching with interest on this one. I haven’t ever had it on any of my saws, but it may be specific to this model.
First time I have encountered this as well. I know none of the Husky's I have worked on had in/out play in the crank like that. Seemed a bit odd to me. I hope I didn't damage something while removing the flywheel, It took a firm wack to knock it loose

Some saws use roller bearings like a semi floating rear axle in a car or truck. I think a 070 090 use that style. If the shaft only goes in and out and no rubbing is happening in the case I'd say that is how they are
I certainly hope that is the case. I wanted to avoid splitting the case on this one if possible.

Little update for you, I’m just stripping an 08s and it has identical lateral movement like this. My prediction is it’s 100% normal and correct.
Much appreciated! Knowing my luck the air leak that i'm having trouble finding will be somewhere around the crankcase gasket so i'll have to split it anyway. lol

Much appreciated! Knowing my luck the air leak that i'm having trouble finding will be somewhere around the crankcase gasket so i'll have to split it anyway. lol
Have you checked the leak isn’t in the spark plug hole? That is really common and if it’s slow it can be safely ignored.

Have you checked the leak isn’t in the spark plug hole? That is really common and if it’s slow it can be safely ignored.
Yeah, I double checked around the plug. I ran into that problem on my first build. I plan on tearing it on down in the next day or two, so I have access to where the impulse goes into the crankcase along with the crankcase gasket. If for some reason I still can't find it at that point, I may have to dunk it. Which is something that I don't really like the idea of doing.

Yeah, I double checked around the plug. I ran into that problem on my first build. I plan on tearing it on down in the next day or two, so I have access to where the impulse goes into the crankcase along with the crankcase gasket. If for some reason I still can't find it at that point, I may have to dunk it. Which is something that I don't really like the idea of doing.
Same here I hate the idea of dunking them. If I really had to, I’d get 10L of fuel and do it in that, but not water.. you’ll find it though. Sometimes if you listen very carefully you’ll find it too.

Latest posts

Back