Echo Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello from the Netherlands.

My Echos

All mid-eighties models. Running and exept the new ones, regulary used.
All bought used. Changed sprocket, plug, sometimes blade or chain.
Always good starting, dead reliable.
Not at all as bad as some people here talk about but never used one.
Never missed the last 200 r.p.m., always a sharp chain and tons of wood.

CS 330 EVL 2x
CS 400 EVL
CS 440 EVL
CS 510 EVL 2x
CS 550 EVL (new, never run)
CST 610 EVL 4x, (one new, never run)
CS 660 EVL
CS 750 EVL military version

Older Models,
CS 802 S
CS 315 not running
CS 302 not running.

SRM 310 brush cutter
HCR 161 ES Hedge trimmer (2008)

Greetings Jos

Last edited:
Hello from the Netherlands.

My Echos

All mid-eighties models. Running and exept the new ones, regulary used.
All bought used. Changed sprocket, plug, sometimes blade or chain.
Always good starting, dead reliable.
Not at all as bad as some people here talk about but never used one.
Never missed the last 200 r.p.m., always a sharp chain and tons of wood.

CS 330 EVL 2x
CS 400 EVL
CS 440 EVL
CS 510 EVL 2x
CS 550 EVL (new, never run)
CST 610 EVL 4x, (one new, never run)
CS 750 EVL military version

Older Models,
CS 802 S
CS 315 not running
CS 302 not running.

SRM 310 brush cutter
HCR 161 ES Hedge trimmer (2008)

Greetings Jos

Just about the same here but all were bought new. The 2 610s are my fav. One is just parts. Got a used 650evl not too too long ago. I think it needs a mag or something. It dies when it gets warm. Helluva ripper till it dies. If anyone has a reliable parts source for these guys please feel free to PM me. I love my old echos.

:sucks::notrolls2:

Now now, I make my living partly using Echo saws. Any saw that lets a man work and provide for his family isn't a bad saw, regardless of what brand it is.;)

Mr. HE:cool:

CS330T, I like it for climbing. It sometimes takes a few pulls to get going which gets on my nerves, but otherwise with a sharp chain isn't the worst saw i've used!

I earn a crust using chainsaws and any echos I've used have all been sluggish, slow and hard work. With an echo, quick response, good power and fast chainspeed just doesn't apply. They're as dodgy as a nun doin' press-ups in a cucumber field... They're as much use as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.. As a homeowner saw they might be fine, as a pro saw they fail...

I earn a crust using chainsaws and any echos I've used have all been sluggish, slow and hard work. With an echo, quick response, good power and fast chainspeed just doesn't apply. They're as dodgy as a nun doin' press-ups in a cucumber field... They're as much use as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.. As a homeowner saw they might be fine, as a pro saw they fail...

Run my 610 and look me dead in the eye after and try to say that again...

That's a classic quote there, had to rep 'ya on that. But I will say that I was recently considering buying an echo.

They really are spoken poorly of, but there is one thing that they are actually good for, and that is very small detail carving, and as such Steve Backus speaks pretty highly of his 3450. These were pretty light, so that's one of the advantages of using it, in contorted positions while detail carving.

The echos do have a cult following it seems...

That's a classic quote there, had to rep 'ya on that. But I will say that I was recently considering buying an echo.

They really are spoken poorly of, but there is one thing that they are actually good for, and that is very small detail carving, and as such Steve Backus speaks pretty highly of his 3450. These were pretty light, so that's one of the advantages of using it, in contorted positions while detail carving.

The echos do have a cult following it seems...

Every Echo I have ever run was OK. Seriously.
Not inspiring at all, just plain Vanilla and OK.

The guys that own them, have run them forever without problems and could care less about weight to power ratio or anything else other than the things starting and running each and every time.

In that regard, I'd say it's Echo's niche.
The plain Vanilla saw.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

As far as the top handles go, 2 - 360t's and 2 - 3400's. Gut the mufflers and pull the limiters on the carb and they are not that bad. Do not get me wrong, they do not compare to the husky 338 or the sthil 200t for power but we have been running them for years and they have been very reliable, always start, always run, just under powered.

Every Echo I have ever run was OK. Seriously.
Not inspiring at all, just plain Vanilla and OK.

The guys that own them, have run them forever without problems and could care less about weight to power ratio or anything else other than the things starting and running each and every time.

In that regard, I'd say it's Echo's niche.
The plain Vanilla saw.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I agree with that. I don't mind the 330T, but you are right, there really isn't anything special about it. I read a thread the other day that suggested porting the muffler made it quite a bit better. I don't use it 5 days a week, maybe I'd be more irritated if I had to! But for my purposes it gets the job done.

Echo Saws

I'll list the running ones, which is all of my Echos. And just a note: I have other saws also; so I am NOT Brand Sensitive. I'll run anything that gives me good service. And honestly the Echos just keep running.

Echos:
1 - CS-345 ----- Nice limbing saw, or timber thinning wood plots
4 - CS-346 ----- All have modifications on muffler and carb, ditto CS 345
1- CS-650EVL ---- Good power in an old saw
1 - CS-530 ---- Too New to rate this saw

And 1 SRM- 2110 Trimmer --- The best lightweight straight shaft I have

Once again, I am NOT BRAND Sensitive, I use what works for me

Motobike

My saws

I'm new to the forum, and was actually looking for the plate that clamps the bar for an Echo CS-302. I have the hedge trimmer attachment, but would also like to use it as a limbing saw.

I have a bunch of older saws, some McCulluch's dating back to the mid 60s. Most are operational, and look like working saws.
3 McCulluch saws
1 small Home at night
1 large Home at night
1 IEL Pioneer
Stihl 041AV
Stihl 051AV
Stihl 056AV
Stihl 075AV
Husky 288
Husky 488
5 Husky 2100s
Shindaiwa
I used the Huskys on an Alaska Mill by making a bar that mounted two power heads. Worked like a charm.
Happy to have found this site.
Bob

I will start off by saying this is a great site.
I have run just about all major names in the saw market from all sizes, mostly farm use and home cutting 15-20 face cord a year not a pro by no means but I bought a Echo and would have to say that they are not top in the RPM range , it starts every time no matter the temp . dollar for doller they are a great saw for the home owner and farm use ,Im not out there to be timed on the trees I cut and I dont mind being a couple of sec behind my buddy, but when it comes to starting Im a way ahead of the pack a new chain and a little tweeking they hold there own .
The best saw is the one that is cutting wood and not taking up space on the work bench.

I have a neighbor who has been cuttin firewood for a long time and I ran into him in the woods and he was using this little Echo. I;m not sure the model. He told me thats his only saw. I looked at his wood pile and it was pretty impressive. So I guess they get the job done.

I'm new to the forum, and was actually looking for the plate that clamps the bar for an Echo CS-302. I have the hedge trimmer attachment, but would also like to use it as a limbing saw.

I have a bunch of older saws, some McCulluch's dating back to the mid 60s. Most are operational, and look like working saws.
3 McCulluch saws
1 small Home at night
1 large Home at night
1 IEL Pioneer
Stihl 041AV
Stihl 051AV
Stihl 056AV
Stihl 075AV
Husky 288
Husky 488
5 Husky 2100s
Shindaiwa
I used the Huskys on an Alaska Mill by making a bar that mounted two power heads. Worked like a charm.
Happy to have found this site.
Bob

welcome to the site

A little down on power but well built. I haven't tried any of the new all orange echos. If I could not get a Stihl, Dolmar, Shinny, or husky, I'd take a echo.:D

Latest posts

Back