Echo Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw of last resort

A lesser favourite for me would be the Homeatnight, which isn't a bad saw but it is not a screamer.
The last resort would be one of those mini Macs. I had one of those, and I have never had so much trouble starting a saw, or any two cycle motor for that matter. I have some 89 year old Villiers 2 cycle pump motors that are easier to start. The only way a person could use the saw for a day, was to take it and another saw, any other saw, to the worksite and use the other saw.
My Echo is configured as a hedge trimmer until I can find a bar plate but it isn't a bad little saw.
Bob

Well since I am now a dealer several new ones! I want to get the new CS-600 in and give it the run down!

CS-360T
CS-370 (2)
CS-510
CS-6700

Have owned, another CS-510, 2 CS-670's, CS-800, CS-400.

Also in the arsenal, Echo Garden Tiller, CS-301 (keep it at my dad's), Echo string trimmer, and a leaf blower.

All of this equipment runs flawlessly and is dead solid reliable.

The only two saws that are evenly remotely impressive is the CS-510 and CS-360T, both are muffler modded. The rest are just OK, and do exacty what they are supposed to do, start easily, run OK and cut wood.

The CS-6700 is COMPLETELY rebuilt from the ground up and for sale. It will be in the saws for sale section as soon as I get some pics of it......Cliff

cs4400

Got a cs4400 love it. I would like to buy a new cs-450/ 450p? Not sure about the differences in the new saws. I would like to hear from someone who knows the new saws. The Hoosier

Got a yellow one, John Deere 40v (CS-351). Can see the orange paint under the yellow.

Echo 500vl that needs a cylinder head gasket. Ran once, cut 3 pieces of log and never ran again since. Should fix it anyway and give her one more chance. Anyone got a gasket?

Jonsered 2045 2050 (2045/50 Frankensaw) 2065 x 2 625 x 2 Jonsereds 630 x 3
670 x 4
Husqvarna 51 61 x 4 51 346xp FAV 357xp unused 254xp 257 261 262xp
Stihl 026 041av 045av 08s
Echo 500vl
Partner 500 :chainsawguy:
MINI Mac 6 x 2
mcculloch 250 1 42
numerous homelite 150's I never use but run great
Homelite xl12 needs major surgery

Last edited:
CS-451vl

I know this thread is old but I just finished up work on this old saw and thought I would share. It was my grandads and he wasn't one for fixing things after they broke. I found this saw and a Poulan 2000 in his garage this fall. Neither was in running condition but both needed very little to bring them back to life. The Echo saw had not been started in at least 20 years until about a month ago when I fired it up. I guess it quit on my grandad and he bought the Poulan to do his trimming instead of fixing the Echo. Neither saw could have been used much; there really isn't any paint missing on either one.

This saw has a NOS 16" bar, new fuel line, new spark plug, and a clean air filter. It ran great after cleaning and gapping the points (probably the original problem). I repainted the muffler and sharpened a used chain for it. It doesn't have much power compared to my two Dolmars but does seem easy to start. There isn't much plastic on the saw which makes it seem built like a tank. I'm going to try to find a use for it...

Had:
750EVL (2)
500VL
I lked 'em, solidly built saws. The 750 was a tank. Lots o' torque.
I have no idea why they get a bad rap other than they don't "scream."
The ones I had were dead reliable saws. Always started, always oiled.
I guess the vew ones are higher RPM saws, but I can't verify.

I had Dad's 351 switched from the old 1/4 pitch to 3/8EP I believe. Nice saw, smooth and quiet. Not a power house, but decent.

Recently the AV seems to be loosening up as the linkages seem to be giving grief.

Had:
750EVL (2)
500VL
I lked 'em, solidly built saws. The 750 was a tank. Lots o' torque.
I have no idea why they get a bad rap other than they don't "scream."
The ones I had were dead reliable saws. Always started, always oiled.
I guess the vew ones are higher RPM saws, but I can't verify.

Completely agree. Go through a page of posts and there will be at least one and usually more posts about saws that have problems. Haven't seen a post about an Echo problem yet.

Back