ECHO Chainsaws - are they catching on?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes echos are catching on in the gay community where they're well suited. the echo brand is also excellent for female operators because echos are now becoming prettier. although they're always gonna be wimpy and weak engines compared to the european stuff. It's a big change from all those decades of echos being ugly and non-functional though. now they're pretty and non-functional

If you need parts Echo will be cheaper.

For example I had an Echo machine and a comparable Stihl machine that both needed carb kits, fuel lines, primer bulbs, and air filters.

Total price for these parts for Echo $26.50

For Stihl $79.84

Both sets of parts were purchased from local dealers. Both machines now run fine and I expect they'll keep on running and making money.

So, what kind of machine you ask? Hedge shear.

Mr. HE:cool:

yes echos are catching on in the gay community where they're well suited. the echo brand is also excellent for female operators because echos are now becoming prettier. although they're always gonna be wimpy and weak engines compared to the european stuff. It's a big change from all those decades of echos being ugly and non-functional though. now they're pretty and non-functional

Obviously nothing to offer! Just wasted time.

+1

He just can't get over the CS-360T that got "fried" because his next door neighbors third cousins x-wifes boyfriend wasn't smart enough to put oil in the mix and fatten up the carb just a tad.

If you are going to bad mouth an entire product line, you should at least have DIRECT experience with it, and some pictures to go with the specifics....FWIW

Anyhow, Echo makes some really nice stuff, some OK, and a few that are pathetically underpowered.

They continue to upgrade the line-up, so we are starting to see some models like the 600P that rival the Husky and Stihls in that size/range.

They need to hit the 70-85cc market at some point. What they have now is marginal in power, and if you own a 262XP, 268XP, and 181SE, you're CS-670 and CS-800 woln't be finding it's way to the truck very often. Matter of fact, mine went on Ebay, for someone else to enjoy.

I kept the CS-510, pound for pound it's the best of the bunch, or at least the best of the ones that I've owned. I keep the CS-370's around because they are great little saws for limbing, and dead solid reliable. Don't expect super fast chain speeds from the CS-370/400's, but they have good mid-range power and "grunt" for the cc's.

As far as the 600P, If I didn't have a 262 and 268XP, there would be one in my line-up......Cliff

Make sure it is richened up a scosh. They ship too lean. Mine was, roached it, that's what lead me to join this site and find out more about chainsaws. I was 100% ignorant about stock "EPA" settings and so on. I found out about dealer prep, important on brand new saws, they adjust the carbs for break in properly.

As to warranties or not..I wouldn't trust any make of anything small engine as per a warranty, it's a crapshoot. Varies too widely, they have a lot of wiggle room to deny claims. That's a dealer by brand thing, some are great, some suck, going by all the reports.

Oh, absolutely. I know what you mean. It's a case of "Buyer Beware" in these types of purchases.

Tell your wife (if you have one) to swing by my house - I'll show her what a REAL man can do. :rock: hell....if your daughter is over 18, she can join in. There's enough Michigan Muscle for both of 'em.

+1

He just can't get over the CS-360T that got "fried" because his next door neighbors third cousins x-wifes boyfriend wasn't smart enough to put oil in the mix and fatten up the carb just a tad.

If you are going to bad mouth an entire product line, you should at least have DIRECT experience with it, and some pictures to go with the specifics....FWIW

Anyhow, Echo makes some really nice stuff, some OK, and a few that are pathetically underpowered.

They continue to upgrade the line-up, so we are starting to see some models like the 600P that rival the Husky and Stihls in that size/range.

They need to hit the 70-85cc market at some point. What they have now is marginal in power, and if you own a 262XP, 268XP, and 181SE, you're CS-670 and CS-800 woln't be finding it's way to the truck very often. Matter of fact, mine went on Ebay, for someone else to enjoy.

I kept the CS-510, pound for pound it's the best of the bunch, or at least the best of the ones that I've owned. I keep the CS-370's around because they are great little saws for limbing, and dead solid reliable. Don't expect super fast chain speeds from the CS-370/400's, but they have good mid-range power and "grunt" for the cc's.

As far as the 600P, If I didn't have a 262 and 268XP, there would be one in my line-up......Cliff

Gotcha - all good to know. I was wondering the same thing about the 80cc range. Seems to me they could really eat up some of the market. The CS-8000 is listed at 80.7cc's, but that looks to be the end all/be all for that range in the Echo lineup. I'll have to get my hands on the 8000 to check it out. As for the CS-400 - I'll have to post a video one day, but I actually ripped about 3 feet of a 15" diameter log of fresh oak with that little sucker (I was cutting out a seat for a little bench I was making at the time). It took me about 5 or 6 minutes - but it did it, and kept on runnin'. So, the Echo engines do seem to be solid workers.

Gotcha - all good to know. I was wondering the same thing about the 80cc range. Seems to me they could really eat up some of the market. The CS-8000 is listed at 80.7cc's, but that looks to be the end all/be all for that range in the Echo lineup. I'll have to get my hands on the 8000 to check it out. As for the CS-400 - I'll have to post a video one day, but I actually ripped about 3 feet of a 15" diameter log of fresh oak with that little sucker (I was cutting out a seat for a little bench I was making at the time). It took me about 5 or 6 minutes - but it did it, and kept on runnin'. So, the Echo engines do seem to be solid workers.

They used to make larger ones in the 100 cc range. Also a dual cylinder model.

Ahhhh....gotcha. Do you recall a model # of the 100cc? I may try to locate one.

CS-900EVL (92cc?)
CS-1000
CS-1001

All discontinued, but still available on ebay and private sales.

And they currently make the CS-1200 120cc, but not sold here in the US due to EPA. Available in S. America and Africa.

All of this is off the top of my head and before I had my first cup of coffee so, if I got it wrong, well, chime in with whatcha know. :D

I don't have any experience with echo saws but I have hand-me-down weed whacker and leaf blower about 15-20 year old vintage, top of the line when they were purchased by my father in law. Local place had the new fuel bulb, carb kit, etc. required for machines of this vintage and they both run mint, but again, I believe they weren't the cheap-o models to begin with.

The local dealer, lawn equipment of all shapes and sizes, said he had just 3 or 4 years ago switched over to echo from stihl after being a stihl dealer for 20+ years (still carries parts, just doesn't sell their new equipment any longer). He said once he saw plastic carburetors, he ran like hell. I know this is second hand info I'm passing along but this is what the guy told me when I asked him about the quality of echos and why no more stihl.

In overall engine tech Echo is a little behind, but they build rock solid stuff. It runs when everything else quits, always been that way.

Echo recently started putting carbs with a lot of plastic on the line of trimmers they sell at Home Depot. Non-adjustable. Some of those won't even run when brand new. I've swapped carbs on a few of them and then ported them, after that they run like a top, tons of power. The engines are so strong that a guy could go wild with them, but no need to do that.

I know several ol"timers that all they ran was echos. The older mag cased ones anyway. I bought one of them out a few years back. Just to old to get out much much less cut wood. Plus I knew him all my life and knew the saws might need a cleaning but were taken care of. A evl440,evl 550, and a evl610 twin. All the older mag orange cases. The 550 I like pretty well. The first homemade mill I built I used 550 to cut up a hickory log about 32" in dia. I had to rip it in half with my 288xp to be able to drag it to the house but then the 20" bar on the 550 done well ripping the halfs in 2" wide strips. The 440 and the 610 are heavy for the power output but run well. The 610 is smooth as a baby's behind. Anyway I have heard good and bad about echos but the same with all brands as well. Everyone has had a nitemare saw or saws in their life, we read them all the time!
jnl

Warranty issues as far as Echo goes are non-existant around here. It depends alot on the dealer-distributor relationship. Non of the warranty stuff ever even gets as high as echo corporate unlesss its directed by the cpsc. Anyone who has ever had a bad echo warranty experience must have had a dealer who really pissed of his tech guy at the distributor or was on probation for repetative warranty fraud. We warranty stuff that shouldn't be warranteed all of the time because we have a good relationship with our distributor. If a dealer has elite status they dont even need approval for shortblocks or unit replacements.

CS-600P = awesome

I hope to pick up a CS-360T sometime soon for a "truck saw", they seem to respond well with a few mods and I don't want to dump the cash for a 200t (if I could even find one!)
I ran an Echo pole pruner, the adjustable one, that thing was slick as snot! I don't think it had the power my Shinny powerhead has, but being adjustable more than made up for that!
I've yet to hear a good thing about the CS-8000 yet though, so I'll pass on that one for now!
But yes, the box store availability hasn't helped the namesake, and they had more than their share of problems in the late 80's and early 90's with quality control, but seem to be getting their act together now. I still have to wonder what they have planned for Shinny in the future?

I've been lucky having a great local dealer, but really haven't had much warranty work. Only once on my Echo weed wacker. Carb had to be replaced as the seal material was bad and swelled up.

My 10+ year old CS 4400 is still running nicely. Still has the original plug. I maintain about 18 acres of woods for a club I'm in so it gets a good workout every year.

Got a CS 271 last fall and have been very happy with it. Bought it because of it's small size. I keep it in a toolbag so I always have a saw with me.

Latest posts

Back