Echo CS-271T Muffler Mod?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HusqyStihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Recently added a free to me, somewhat new Echo CS271T to my collection and have searched for any forums for the muffler mod. Reading through this site i see quite a bit of reference to the mod but not too much luck in seeing and reference pics to point out what needs to be drilled, and of course what sorta twists are recommended for tuning after. I'm thinking of taking the muffler off tonight or tomorrow to see if i can get a look at the converter, i believe this is what i'd need to bypass?? then another opening under the deflector? I'd assume this will waken it up a bit..

Have others used this saw or recommend it for a climbing saw?

Any suggestions appreciated!

~Moose

I used them for years still have one but it's a backup to my 150t... it's hard to beat for 279 or whatever they are... great little saw. What year model is yours at some point echo claims 20% more power and 18% more rpm or so... they are correct my first one had no where near the power of the revised one... i really can't remember for sure but seems like an easy muffler to open up... they also liked the timing advanced...

This saw was a freebie for me, 2014 model with not a blemish on the bar. My stepfather found it while out boating during a holiday weekend and it was submerged in the river tide. I stripped it down, flushed it, refueled and lubed it up. And fired first pull. Threw a new full chisel square on it and it doesnt get any better than that. Ive heard about opening up the restricted muffler on the higher Echo saws and was curious as to wether i can pull any gains out of this one. Quite the little snap for a small tophandle. Light as hell also.

I just got done popping the muffler, drilled 2 small holes into the intake side "baffle" inside, then 2 small holes inside the large opening or the exhaust, replaced the screen and deflector and seemed to have better throttle response but nothing note worthy. The 4 holes total seemed to bypass the converter so i thought that would do it. Maybe ive drilled the wrong areas??

My second choice is to split the entire muffler, held together with crimped corners and see what im workin wit. Should i do this??

Yes opening the muffler on this saw is a must... definitely worth it... you'll love it...

Pro, have you modded a 271? And if so, may i ask how you went about it? Drill hole size, positions, remove cat or any/all baffles? Uncrimp muffler and it falls apart? Or welded also? All info greatly appreciated sir!!

~Moose

Yes I did 2 of them I really can't remember exactly what I did I know I didn't cut the muffler open though... I'll look at one of them and see if I remember...

Hey, would ya look at that. Say 'er right on itView attachment 434333
I just got off the phone with echo customer service about this. I was looking at buying a 271t but it didn't have the 8% more sticker so I called customer service to look up the serial number. She said the 8% more power, 18% emissions sticker just means it has 8% more power than the Stihl ms150t and that all the 271t are the same.

I'm looking for ways to remove the catalyst from my 271t also. Should I uncrimp the corners and open it up? Is the catalyst welded in there or just loose?

I
I'm looking for ways to remove the catalyst from my 271t also. Should I uncrimp the corners and open it up? Is the catalyst welded in there or just loose?

I got a non cat muffler from the dealer for 20 something$ when they looked up the muffler parts there was $20 and $50 ones, the $20 are the non cat.

I just got off the phone with echo customer service about this. I was looking at buying a 271t but it didn't have the 8% more sticker so I called customer service to look up the serial number. She said the 8% more power, 18% emissions sticker just means it has 8% more power than the Stihl ms150t and that all the 271t are the same.
I thought the 271 was 25cc and the 150 is 22.3cc

Pro, have you modded a 271? And if so, may i ask how you went about it? Drill hole size, positions, remove cat or any/all baffles? Uncrimp muffler and it falls apart? Or welded also? All info greatly appreciated sir!!

~Moose
Some of echo mufflers are a **** to gut out if they are cat muffs. But once you manage to gut a echo out youl like em

Back