Echo Cs 400 Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I'm pretty clear on the muffler mod with the exception of opening up the deflector. Any special instructions here?

As for the limiter caps, I have located these and just need to thread a drywall screw into them and they just pull out? Then there are some tabs I have to trim off them? I attached pics of the caps so maybe you can help me understand a little better. I also attached a pic of the saw. Thanks....
Just thead in the drywall screw till it stops then turn the limiter to the left till it stops and pull the cap out. No need to trim them just leave em out

^that's what I did to mine and no issues holding a tune at all. One of the tabs fell into the case and couldn't be found. It got eaten by the flywheel, so I didn't bother putting the other one back on.

You have to remember tune after any mod or weather change no caps makes it easy. Tune it in the cut. The widea open throttle trick don't work on rev limited saws

I just figured I'd post my video of my modded CS-400 with a new WoodlandsPro 16" bar, and Carlton semi-chisel low pro chain, cutting some cedar cookies for my wife. She wants them for stepping stones in her garden, or who knows what, but I was happy to oblige her.

sounds a lil rich?or coil?like that bar and chain....I mean it does not seem to be cleaning up in the cut..... maybe i my ears are bad some one will chime in......

Maybelean out a hair more but Ican hear it start/clean up into the cut... good sounding muffler mod, sharp little saw! Had a reconditioned one at theHomeDepot here for $200...

You have to remember tune after any mod or weather change no caps makes it easy. Tune it in the cut. The widea open throttle trick don't work on rev limited saws

Actually, tuning my 600p, WOT, at 12,300-12,500 is the sweet spot for power/torque. That is still below the rev limiter.

EDIT: That saw only has a MM and tab delete.

@RedFir Down , thanks for your time to post on this. I just got done with the limiters and gutting the muffler, ill post pics later. I was fairly concerned about the limiters until reading this post. Found out my saw was as fat as possible when i started aligning the limiters for removal. Until today i havent touched the screws.

This video will help you get your saw tuned. Keep in mind your Echo has a limited coil so it will sound like it's 4 stroking when it hits the limiter. Richen the H to where it doesn't drop much RPMs off full throttle when the limiter kicks in...there is a slight delay after it spools up, you can hear the difference. It's best to tune in wood, richen it up to where it burbles heavy in the cut and lean it out slowly to where it cleans up but still burbles when you let up on it. But definitely get those tabs off and richen it up some.

. Thank you much for this vid, oddly enough I can tune a car with a carb(or two or three) no prob..... And yet until your vid I hadn't felt confident in my diagnosis of the diff between 2 and 4 stroking

I asked Echo about the rpm at which the rev-limiter kicked in on the CS-400. Here's the answer: "The coil engages at approximately 15,000 rpm."

I wonder why they gave you that number? :confused: It directly contradicts what is written in the CS-400 manual :reading:, which lists the following for RPM's:

2,650 RPM - Idle speed
4,050 RPM - Clutch engagement speed
12,650 - Wide open throttle speed

I wonder why they gave you that number? :confused: It directly contradicts what is written in the CS-400 manual :reading:, which lists the following for RPM's:

2,650 RPM - Idle speed
4,050 RPM - Clutch engagement speed
12,650 - Wide open throttle speed
Wide open throttle would be working rpm. The limiter kicks in at 15k. Try to cut with it set lean enough to tag the limiter and I'd bet it wouldn't survive the first cut.

Wide open throttle would be working rpm. The limiter kicks in at 15k. Try to cut with it set lean enough to tag the limiter and I'd bet it wouldn't survive the first cut.

Isn't there a lot of variables with working rpm's? Chain grind, bar length and the amount of pressure the person is putting on the saw are just a couple that I could think of.

I would think Echo would have that saw setup with no load wide open speed out of the wood.

Only way to know for sure would be with a tach.

Though thinking about it, 15k would sound like a real screamer. And Echo’s seem to be built more towards mid range power than top end rpm.

Here's what my manual has, as of 11/09.
5ec7f024ba798bae4e92dbdb739621ac.jpg

Steve

Latest posts

Back