Echo Cs 400 Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My service manual shows the same RPM range Steve. Very close between the owner's manual and the service manual.

Reading further in the service manual under carb tuning, they have you start at about 11,500 RPM on the rich rich and to lean from there to hit max RPM to adjust the H screw.

I knocked the cat out of my 346 muffler with a scrench and a hammer.
Pulled the big pieces out with a leatherman.
Then chiseled all the edges clean with the scrench and hammer again.
Shook it until nothing else was rattling around inside, reinstalled, and then put the screen and deflector back on.

I use a 1" holesaw bit in a drill press. The a flap wheel to clean up the little bit that doesn't get. Rinse with hot soapy water till clean. Never done a 346 but it works well on the 310-400 saws.

Most of the CS 400 on my tach come in right around 11800 and 12600 approx, I made a mistake stupid leaned out when I was supposed to richen and saw went screaming and my high RPM only showed a max of 13900, I don’t want that to happen again luckily only there for a split second but wow they scream, add another 1100 rpm I could for sure hear one of these come apart at 15000 rpm which just sounds crazy once you hear almost 14k, if it goes to over rev you don’t need a tach, the saw will let you know because they truly scream

they can all scream for a second at that high rpm, just back it off quick. and it's best to let it cool down after, if you did it a few times while tuning, and if you can. If you're tuning in the woods and have to keep cutting, would be worth a couple minute break if you went to hard at it. the balancing act of RPM in the wood vs. fuel/mix charge getting into the engine to lubricate, combust, and cool is the dance we all love to do.

Ole' Buckin Billy Ray Smith has a good video on this, for the high-side adjustment you can skip to about 15:40 of the video

Back