Echo CS-490 DEAD after 11.5 months?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Listen Up Sonny

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker who just joined. I'm not a professional, but do a fair amount of sawing mainly for firewood and storm cleanup around my property. Thanks for the add. I just got off the phone with my local small engine guy, and he gave me the bad news that my Echo Cs-490 has scored engine cylinders and is not worth fixing. Up until a month ago, I was singing this saws praises and planning on buying the 680 during the next dealer days.

Background:
Last October 30, we had a very bad windstorm and I used it as an excuse to buy a second saw (other is stihl MS270) so that we could have two people cutting. I bought it stock from Home Depot, and I've used the heck out of it for the better part of a year. I run pre-mix most of the time and mix echo oil with premium gas when I am burning through lots. It's probably had about 6-7 gallons of gas through it, and I am really good about keeping gas fresh and sta-bilzed. About a month ago, it started bogging down and stalling. I put the Echo tune up kit on it, but this did not resolve my issues. So, I took it to the local guy who informed me that the cylinders were scored.

Dealing with Echo:
I called echo corporate and they informed me that the issue was almost certainly bad gas, which wasn't covered. They then informed me that I would have to drive it to a dealership and pay $40 to get it diagnosed. At which point, it would probably be $40 to be told I was SOL. I had an honest conversation with the dealer, and he said that it was unlikely they'd be able to warranty it unless they found some obvious defect. I actually appreciate the dealer and think he is kind of in a tough spot in this situation. He did say that he'd apply the $40 to a new saw purchase if it cam e to that.

Yes, yes, the simplest solution is the right solution most the time, BUT...
Anything is possible, but I really don't think this is a case of bad/straight gas for me. I am very careful about which cans have what gas. I have only 1 single gallon can on my property for mixed gas, and the rest are 5 gallons for straight gas. I checked the saw, and it has mixed gas in it. I checked the 4 other 2 cycle engines on my property, some still have gas from the last mixed batch, and they all have mixed gas in them. None of my other engines are acting up, including an echo string trimmer. I've never lent this saw out and I am the only one who uses it. If they said the problem was that I've been running it too hard in stump, etc, I'd believe them. But, I don't believe I ran straight gas.

So...at this point, I am out $55 for the tune up kit and the local repair guys time. I am looking at spending another $40 to be likely told I am SOL by the dealer. Has anybody had any experience with this. The local guy said he used to be a warranty dealer for Echo, and he suggested I push for a "warranty modification."

The only silver lining is that I might be getting the MS391 sooner than expected.

Thanks,

It is getting to the point, that almost nothing can be repaired anymore by a mechanic at a dealer. Labor rates are insane. But if you have the time and some basic tools and use aftermarket parts, it can be very inexpensive to fix and get going again.

You can get an aftermarket entire engine for a hundred. Or go with a piston/cylinder kit for under 50. If buying a new saw is a financial problem, DIY is an option.

. About a month ago, it started bogging down and stalling. I put the Echo tune up kit on it, but this did not resolve my issues. So, I took it to the local guy who informed me that the cylinders were scored.
The bigger question is why it scored, there are other reasons besides straight gassing that can score pistons. You didn’t mention what ratio mix you were using, but tuned for a 50 to 1, and if you used let’s say 32 to 1, saw will run hotter and leaner and can score a piston if not re tuned for the different mix. There are many other reasons too. When a saw starts acting up, it’s best to stop using it and find out why before damage begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bigger question is why it scored, there are other reasons besides straight gassing that can score pistons. You didn’t mention what ratio mix you were using, but tuned for a 50 to 1, and if you used let’s say 32 to 1, saw will run hotter and leaner and can score a piston if not re tuned for the different mix. There are many other reasons too. When a saw starts acting up, it’s best to stop using it and find out why before damage begins.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was using universal pre-mix (good for 40 and 50:1 according to bottle) and the little bottles of echo 50:1 oil with premium gas station gas with stabil added.

LUS , have you removed the muffler to look at the piston , ring , and cylinder for yourself ?
I have not, but I wouldn't know what to look for. The local mechanic is reputable and does not sell saws, so I think he's being honest. I may try to rebuild this during the cold part of the winter. If nothing else, it'll be a learning experience.

Echo don’t seem to last the test of time from what I’ve seen ... get urself the STIHL 391 or Better yet look around for a used 361; 044 and be done with it !!!

Soon the Echo fans will be along to tell us how much better Echo is than Stihl or the others. According to them my Stihl top handles should be broken all the time and pieces falling off. It’s funny in 22 years of tree work i can’t think of a time when any of that has happened but had 355T plastic pieces break twice within a year. However, i do have a Echo 2511T that i love using.

Could be lots of reasons for a scored cylinder

Hell, they should the warranty is 5 years
Yah .... 5 year warranty my foot ! They always say “unit run with bad gas” NOT covered ! Scam ... buy a STIHL ; Pay more initially than echo - enjoy YEARS of use as long as you maintain it properly!!!

HD will only honor taking it back 90 days, you have to buy the extra warranty for longer coverage. The Echo warranty is a joke. I had a 400 break a piston after 10 months, Echo denied the warranty on the fact I had a champion plug in instead of the issued NGK. I love my Echo saws, just don’t expect any consideration from Echo, they’re a joke on warranty. If you buy another Echo, mod the muffler, remove limiter caps on carb and retune, don’t worry about “voiding” the warranty, there is none.

Yah .... 5 year warranty my foot ! They always say “unit run with bad gas” NOT covered ! Scam ... buy a STIHL ; Pay more initially than echo - enjoy YEARS of use as long as you maintain it properly!!!

How do you know this to be true about them not covering a warranty?

Back