Echo CS-490 DEAD after 11.5 months?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny all of the dealers and customers that think the factory settings are good to go. My brother bought a 490 bout 6 months ago. The dealer told him it was factory tuned. My bro told me it doesn't stall and hasn't seized yet so it must be ok. I went to run it on Saturday...... It was very cold blooded and very lean up top rpm. Pulled limiter small muff mod timing advance and properly tuned it now runs like a 50cc saw should. My bro days I must have ported it or stuck a bigger engine it it. Now that he has seen what a tune and muff mod can do he brought me all his saws. Ms170 echo cs400 husky 435 poulan 3314 and 5020. Now he is looking at a jonny 2152. Like he needs another 50cc saw.

A narrow kerf chain is supposed to be run with a narrow kerf bar. The the bar is correspondingly narrow to match the chain.
http://en.oregonproducts.com/pro/lookups/selguide.aspx?BusId=OCS&SellReg=USA&LangId=ENG
That makes perfect sense to me.

But what doesn't make sense is that Oregon lists the Speedcut 95TXL072G chain for the Echo CS-490, but no corresponding narrow kerf bar for the 490.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/search/modeltype-cbs?q=echo__CS-490:relevance&page=0

Attachments

• 5717D8DB-D4FB-4D63-8F9A-704D79ED827B.png
    5717D8DB-D4FB-4D63-8F9A-704D79ED827B.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Here's my take on muffler mods.

Some mufflers, especially from earlier saws produced when EPA standards for power equipment weren't nearly as "tight" as they have been recently, may not need any help at all, and opening them up just increases the noise level instead of increasing power. Folks tend to confuse or associate increasing noise level with power increases, it's that way with many things related to mufflers and exhaust systems. By design a muffler may actually help scavenge the cylinder and reduce tendencies for "reversion", so just whacking a big hole or bunch of holes in one making the saw obnoxiously loud and no back pressure at all may do nothing or could be detrimental to engine performance.

Modifying mufflers can vary from a minutes work to very intrusive/labor intensive.

Far as Echo saws go, the CS-330/360T's are a good example of a very labor intensive muffler to modify, involving cutting them apart, removing the CAT, opening up some internal holes, then MIG welding it back together.

The CS-590/600/620's just a few minutes to open up the deflector slightly.

The CS-490 is described above and doesn't really need a lot of help.

CS-510's have an internal "pipe" to remove and open up exit hole slightly and the deflector.

CS-370/400's have a CAT to dig/saw out and open up the exit holes and deflector slightly.

I'm not a big fan of drilling extra holes and like to make internal mods to mufflers if/when needed, but still stock exit location and at most opening up the exit hole some.

It is best to sneak up on those things, making very slight modifications then do some testing, looking at increases in timed cut performance, etc. Try not to associate louder with more power, without some sort of controlled testing it may be difficult to really know if we're helping the saw out or not.........Cliff

[QUOTE="smokey7, Now he is looking at a jonny 2152. Like he needs another 50cc saw.[/QUOTE]

You can never have too many 50cc saws. Ha!

Besides, he needs a 2152. Who doesn’t?

Picked up a NIB CS-490 yesterday for $227.50 at Rural King. All their Echo stuff is 35 percent off as they are clearing it out and bringing in more Husqvarna instead. Thought I'd put some pics up of removing/modifying the limiters on the carb for reference. This entire process takes less than ten minutes and that's if you take a coffee break.

The carb doesn't have to be completely removed, just remove the 4 screws on the plastic air filter mount, two short holding it down and the two long ones attaching the carb to the intake. Lift and turn the carb to remove the choke link, do your work and put it right back in place. I recorded the original adjustments and put them back at those positions but it was WAY too lean on first start up and needed more fuel from both to be happy.

Didn't have much time to test it out last night, ran out of daylight, but I'll do some more testing with it today. I removed the muffler, and modified the deflector on the exit side slightly. Left the internal pipe in place for now till it's well broken in then might play around with that some.......Cliff

IMG_4504.JPG IMG_4505.JPG IMG_4506.JPG

I just got the 490 on my hands,boy this thing is light,like really light.Build quality seems excellent except the choke knob(this thing seems like a joke,they could done it better) and the chain brake lever(it seems a little rough),other than that i am very impressed with the quality.I can't believe the muffler outlet,it couldn't breath even if it was 5cc.I pull the rope and i can't hear the engine pushing air out,way restrictive.My saw says June 2018,it has a little different decals,the muffler outlet is already cut where someone would mod it and the limiters are lined up for extraction.I won't start it until i mod the muffler(remove tube etc) and trim the limiter caps.Can't believe i paid 230$ for that thing.

Here’s something I don’t think has been discussed yet for the 490 mods... Intake. There is just the one small intake air hole on the carb cowling. Is that sufficient once we have modded the muffler and lost the carb limiters/retuned?

Couldn’t hurt to have another hole on the other side, could it? Or what have you done ...

Here’s something I don’t think has been discussed yet for the 490 mods... Intake. There is just the one small intake air hole on the carb cowling. Is that sufficient once we have modded the muffler and lost the carb limiters/retuned?

Couldn’t hurt to have another hole on the other side, could it? Or what have you done ...
They were discussing this in the echo thread on O P E. I'll have to see what they came up with.

There is a provision for cold weather operation that opens up to the front to bring in more air to the intake area. I recommend using that feature in the Winter months and have always had it open on my Echo CS-510 and it runs fine all year round even in the hottest summer days.......Cliff

There is a provision for cold weather operation that opens up to the front to bring in more air to the intake area. I recommend using that feature in the Winter months and have always had it open on my Echo CS-510 and it runs fine all year round even in the hottest summer days.......Cliff

Ah, good idea. Due to fire hazards, we don’t use the saws much here during the hot summer anyways. :)

I modded the muffler(very easy) and trimmed the limiters.I was able to remove the caps without removing the carb.I used a very thin steel wire and i made a tiny hook on one edge with the pliers.I inserted the tiny hook in the hole of the cap,twisted the wire a little(CCW to keep the ears alligned with the housing of the carb)and pulled the cap out,very easy.Bad thing was that one limiter cap fell inside the saw and i had to remove the recoil cover and the top cover to find it.Trimmed the ears and push them back in.I still haven't start the saw,i hope it is not DOA.It is dark outside now,first thing tomorrow morning will be to start the saw for the very first time.

I just left the limiters off of mine. The needles are spring loaded, so I don't think they'll move.
Although the caps may be easier to get the screwdriver in place.

Back